FORUMS
positiv2

Frost Mage Leveling

Guest PjStar35

This guide shows Ice Barrier unlocking at Level 28.  I'm not what sure what level it actually unlocks but I'm level 21 and already have it unlocked.

On 11/7/2020 at 6:43 PM, Guest PjStar35 said:

This guide shows Ice Barrier unlocking at Level 28.  I'm not what sure what level it actually unlocks but I'm level 21 and already have it unlocked.

It was 28 and apparently hotfixed in to 21 just after prepatch. And will become 11 with Shadowlands launch proper. I'll fix that, thanks. It's difficult to keep track of what hotfixes got applied to which version of the game and when. Barrier being 21 was live on beta, but not on PTR the night before prepatch, but applied very shortly after prepatch went live. Which, why would I check for that, none of the rest of the beta changes to Frost went through to PTR!

My castle for this PTR/beta split to never happen again.

Guest scooby

The slider doesnt show the leveling tip to use flurry after getting brain freeze until its on level 37, but brain freeze unlocks at level 32

15 minutes ago, Guest scooby said:

The slider doesnt show the leveling tip to use flurry after getting brain freeze until its on level 37, but brain freeze unlocks at level 32

Fixed, thanks.

Guest Avighna

Misleading title? I need to check for other specs and races as well.. It says levelling guide, but the talk is about rotation and talent advice per level. On a levelling guide I would expect leveling map and zone list of where to go or perhaps someone can add it. for someone new the title is misleading

Guest Noppez

This is the single worst guide on the entire website, at level 26 it's still telling me to cast frostbolt and ice lance as my ONLY two rotation options, it's literally better to just cast Arcane Explosion, not even talking about mass pulling and using frost nova and cone of frost with the pvp talent. Like that HAS to be in the guide... wth is this garbage

Guest Please fix the Trees

Hey, since yesterday the Guide is bugged, when you slide the slider above lvl 16 you only see one Skill tree. Would be awesome if this could be fixed 

Is this one in transition with the new patch? It's really messed up. No class tree, there's a point missing from the Frost side, and when I started trying to figure out where that point should be, I realized it's recommending talents at levels you can't take them.

Example: Frozen Orb at 11? Your ONLY choice at 11 is Ice Lance.

Example: Frozen Touch at 17? It's below the 8-pt break and a rank further. Can't get it sooner than what, 29?

Maybe I'm just impatient and it'll be good before the servers are up; I was just hoping to have my own templates fixed by then too.

Guest Tommy

Sorry but  your "rotation" for frost mage at lvl 16 does not exist. As casual and newbie I would love propper single target and AOE rotation that changes with levels. It is kinda usless now

On 7/15/2023 at 4:37 AM, Guest Tommy said:

Sorry but  your "rotation" for frost mage at lvl 16 does not exist. As casual and newbie I would love propper single target and AOE rotation that changes with levels. It is kinda usless now

You're not wrong. I had thought that a more "why" oriented look would have been more appreciated than a strict rotation guide. I'll split out an explicit rotation set and keep the why side for those who want to know.

Guest Beyond 60?

Would it be possible to add the talent suggestions beyond lvl 60? Would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

On 8/20/2023 at 7:16 AM, Guest Beyond 60? said:

Would it be possible to add the talent suggestions beyond lvl 60? Would be most appreciated!

Thanks!

There is a slider at the top of the talent section that should default to 60, but can be increased to 70!

• Like 1

Guest Wombatt

Where's the last 10 levels of skill choices??  Stopping at 60 is a bold move, when every other spec on the site goes to 70 for leveling...

Guest Jojomage

Hi, I'm just wondering about the single-target rotation.  The general problem I'm having is that it's not really optimized for moving from one target to the next in a leveling environment (e.g. Waking Shores).  Like, I can't pop Icy Veins on every target because it has such a long CD, and even with Flurry with 2 charges, it still has a 30 second CD, so it really doesn't seem that viable for leveling. 

I don't understand why this guide says to "Frostbolt into Flurry into two Ice Lances is the bread and butter of this spec. If you have this, you have the entire spec down on single target." I'm sorry, but that's incredibly ineffective and in the experience I'm having with it, it just doesn't do enough damage because it relies way too much on proccing Brain Freeze & Fingers of Frost, and they just don't proc fast enough.  So, here's what's generally happening: [assume Icy Veins is on CD because it usually is] 1) Flurry 2) Ice Lance x2 and the enemy is down to 2/3rds health, so again Flurry followed by 2 ice lances and it has about 1/3rd health left and now Flurry is on CD and Frostbolt & Ice Lance do virtually nothing because Brain Freeze and Fingers of Frost do not proc consistently enough.

So more-often-than-not, I'm finding myself with Flurry on CD, Frostbolt doing next to nothing, none of the effects are proccing, and I'm just spamming ice lance to try and kill off a mob before it kills me because everything else is on CD.

This is not fun, this is not effective, it is just demoralizing and frustrating.

On 2/4/2024 at 11:17 PM, Guest Jojomage said:

This is not fun, this is not effective, it is just demoralizing and frustrating.

That is just sadly the nature of the beast. You could in theory go for Glacial Spike, but that's minimum level 57 before you get a new rotational button. It might honestly be better to play Arcane for leveling, since your primary ability is also your hardest hitting one, rather than Frostbolt being extremely weak.