FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Rargle

Obliterate For Dual Wield

Hi guys, Been reading these forums and browsing the guides for quite sometime now until deciding to make an account! I play a 555 Dual Wield Frost Death Knight. I was I've seen some posts on here stating that you shouldn't use Obliterate at all during you're rotation, I've also seen saying you can use Obliterate up until a certain gear level. 

What are you're thoughts, Because I'm not sure if I should still have it in my rotation or not.

Regards, 

Rargle

555 You should stop using it a general rule I think you should follow is once your at 60-65% mastery unbuff is when you should stop using.

I may not be the best here to talk about it because i use to think it was better at all ilvl but I read up and saw some posts and agreed that it should be dropped from the rotation, and what i generally saw was 60% mastery unbuff is when it becomes equal and it doesn't matter if u have it or don't at 65% it is a dps loss to keep it so yeah. That's just what I've read on forums not 100% sure on how accurate that is but yeah.

Thank you for you're reply. I am in the range of 60-65% mastery so I might try dropping oblit to see how it goes

Thank you again!

I don't know where this 65% number comes from, it was a minor dps loss for me according to sims even when I was at 80% buffed mastery, but generally the more mastery you have, it is less of a loss. In reality the problem with Obliterate is that you could end up accidentally consuming a KM proc on it and that is a dps loss. So, even at lower gear levels you may decide to drop it and have a simpler rotation to go with. 

If you are familiar with running simple sims with simcraft, you can run for your toon to see how much of a suggested loss dropping Obliterate is. 

Obliterate may sim slightly higher, but the rotation is much easier if you howling blast spam. I find I do higher dps with howling blast because I don't make as many mistakes with killing machine procs, and I'm better about keeping up blood plague, and using plague leech on cooldown.

Howling blast + plague strike is roughly equal to the damage of one obliterate. so the only dps you're losing is any rime procs you aren't getting.

Obliterate may sim slightly higher, but the rotation is much easier if you howling blast spam. I find I do higher dps with howling blast because I don't make as many mistakes with killing machine procs, and I'm better about keeping up blood plague, and using plague leech on cooldown.

Howling blast + plague strike is roughly equal to the damage of one obliterate. so the only dps you're losing is any rime procs you aren't getting.

Thank you for you're help. Last night I did try a little bit of flex 1 with out using obliterate. I honestly did not see much different number wise. I will have to test it out a little bit more.

Thank you for the input

Regards,

Rargle

65% mastery is when it really comes into play of accidentally kming a oblit over frost strike pre 65% it's not as bad to do it it's a dps loss but VERY low simcraft will tell you that oblit is higher but likes very slight as storm said and even using 1 km on oblit is a big dps like 50-150k depending on your mastery and weapon damage etc 

Try this priority in simcraft, it should slightly up your dps while also dropping Obliterate.  http://pastebin.com/Lu99NXFn

The basic idea is you drop Obliterate and only spend unholy runes when you have nothing else do to (including Horn of Winter, Empower Rune Weapon, and Plague Leech on cooldown) or if you need to put up Blood Plague.