FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
positiv2

Fire Mage PvE

On 12/29/2022 at 3:07 PM, Guest Shifting Power said:

Guide doesn't mention Shifting power in rotation page, but does include it in talents page.  Seems to be very important for cooldown usage, and it would be great if you could provide your analysis on when to use it. 

Hi, thank you for the feedback.

You're right. I've updated the guide to include it now, but it will take potentially a day or so for it to be visible on the website.

Thanks!

Rotation readability: While I love and appreciate your website and guides including this guide, I want to comment on something that I really don’t like. And I think this is a general development of the icyveins guides that just really gets very obvious in its level of impenetrable detail in guides for specs that require as much precision as this.

Points 1 through 11 or so on the standard rotation aren’t actually rotation but more a set of logical conditions for usage of buffs and cooldowns, following these steps will result in casting nothing but perhaps activating my trinkets if I do assume I’m about to use combustion. Fire mage is a spec that’s hard to get into, this guide does not inspire trying - I need to rewrite a rotation on my own to actually have something I can use. It is not easy to grasp the difference between the three-and-a-half steps for hard-casting pyroblast (one of the steps seems to tell me not to cast it, there’s a similar step for rune of power, these negative steps just makes the “rotation” even harder to use) that actually come prioritized one after the other.

I believe the steps of this rotation, if they are to be kept in this format, should be placed under “how to improve”, because this rotation is about a level of precision that really should be treated as advanced final stages of learning the spec. I think many of the steps could be explained clearly under sections for cooldown and proc usage, instead of or in addition to keeping the separate advanced rotation.

I currently cannot recommend the fire mage guide to others, would myself start looking for alternatives, but I keep using this site and I do wish I could use this guide too.

Edited by Mudwaters
Grammar

5 hours ago, Mudwaters said:

I currently cannot recommend the fire mage guide to others, would myself start looking for alternatives, but I keep using this site and I do wish I could use this guide too.

Hi there!

Firstly, while it is obviously saddening for us to hear this, I do understand that if you feel the product and guide is not up-to-par for your own use, you will not want to recommend it to others. 

We are currently looking into this and will get back to you with some further information in the near future. Thank you for the feedback you put together :)

6 hours ago, Mudwaters said:

Rotation readability: While I love and appreciate your website and guides including this guide, I want to comment on something that I really don’t like. And I think this is a general development of the icyveins guides that just really gets very obvious in its level of impenetrable detail in guides for specs that require as much precision as this.

Hi Mudwaters,

Appreciate your feedback a lot!

I agree with your feedback that the rotation is hard to follow and overly complex/detailed at the moment.

I have been thinking about various ways to try to reduce the complexity of the rotation (without giving up accuracy), and your suggestions are a great help for this. This coming week, new versions of the guides will go live for patch 10.0.7, and as part of these updates I will also be working on making the rotation more intuitive to follow and in general easier to understand.

Please also do not hesitate to reach out to me on Discord for further feedback: Dutchmagoz#0001

Thank you for your responses, I trust that you will find good ways to develop the site and guides because there is so much high quality here already 🙂

Love your changes to the guide at this point. For me as a learning player, not an advanced fire mage by any means, it helps a lot. You reference the most important pieces of advanced rotation in the rotation, so I instantly think “alright, so I’ll focus on the rotation, then pick ONE of these and start learning there, then I’ll focus on the other”.

Having played fire mage before, I know I won’t have much issue getting into the normal rotation, or the combustion rotation, but also that there are quite a few details there to improve a lot on before I’m satisfied that I know it well enough. So I’ll hold off on learning Pyroclasm until I feel that I’ll be able to add that extra complexity to my rotation. This lifting out advanced pieces of the rotation, from the main rotation, also helps me think: I’ll just not talent Pyroclasm until I want to learn it (and for a time, maybe do the same with SKB). I don’t know if that’s advisable for anyone else, but I figure I need a good baseline mastery of the spec and I’ll achieve that by executing my rotation well, and for that I need to avoid clutter and information I don’t want on my screen. 

So for me the new guide layout kinda helps me not just understanding the rotation, but also take it one thing at a time and selecting an area of focus as I learn and practice. That’s how I always do it, but it’s not always easy to see what steps to take first, where the important core is (is it the cooldown usage, the proc usage, or the downtime rotation?) so it’s good to see that the guide now helps me sort this out. 

Edited by Mudwaters
Afterthought

Guest Arkell

In the current talent tree you gave "Flame On" 3 points which is impossible. Therefore one talent point remains.

18 hours ago, Guest Arkell said:

In the current talent tree you gave "Flame On" 3 points which is impossible. Therefore one talent point remains.

Hi Arkell,

Could you let me know on what page you see this? On the talents page I only see 2 points provided to Flame On.

Thanks!

On 4/12/2023 at 12:08 PM, Mudwaters said:

Love your changes to the guide at this point. For me as a learning player, not an advanced fire mage by any means, it helps a lot. You reference the most important pieces of advanced rotation in the rotation, so I instantly think “alright, so I’ll focus on the rotation, then pick ONE of these and start learning there, then I’ll focus on the other”.

Having played fire mage before, I know I won’t have much issue getting into the normal rotation, or the combustion rotation, but also that there are quite a few details there to improve a lot on before I’m satisfied that I know it well enough. So I’ll hold off on learning Pyroclasm until I feel that I’ll be able to add that extra complexity to my rotation. This lifting out advanced pieces of the rotation, from the main rotation, also helps me think: I’ll just not talent Pyroclasm until I want to learn it (and for a time, maybe do the same with SKB). I don’t know if that’s advisable for anyone else, but I figure I need a good baseline mastery of the spec and I’ll achieve that by executing my rotation well, and for that I need to avoid clutter and information I don’t want on my screen. 

So for me the new guide layout kinda helps me not just understanding the rotation, but also take it one thing at a time and selecting an area of focus as I learn and practice. That’s how I always do it, but it’s not always easy to see what steps to take first, where the important core is (is it the cooldown usage, the proc usage, or the downtime rotation?) so it’s good to see that the guide now helps me sort this out. 

Thanks a lot for your kind words! Don't hesitate to reach out in the future if you have any additional feedback.

On 5/5/2023 at 6:11 AM, Dutchmagoz said:

Hi Arkell,

Could you let me know on what page you see this? On the talents page I only see 2 points provided to Flame On.

Thanks!

I'm seeing this, too. It's on the Mythic+ page.

4 hours ago, Guest DamionDark said:

Did the talent trees recently change?

Hi DamionDark,

The best talents did change a bit due to the new set bonus and some optimisations discovered with the new gear available in season 3, but the trees itself remained the same.

Are you referring to anything specific here?

Thanks,

Dutchmagoz