FORUMS
Damien

Mythic+ Tank Tier List

1 hour ago, Guest Llokki said:

Any chance you could properly explain the reordering of the rankings, especially for healers? Holy Paladin and Resto Druid have swapped places as best and mid-tier, yet the only updates to the explanation of each class lists Resto getting buffs to some of their healing spells, and Holy getting a nerf to the mana cost of holy shock? So a nerf makes you better and a buff makes you worse now?? I have to imagine that it has something to do with the current meta, but having it properly explained instead of having the same description that has been there for months, even when they were ordered differently, doesn't help at all.

Hey Llokki,

Thank you for showing interest in our tier list. If you do read the whole information about each specialization, you will further find, all of the information is updated or explained why a specific spec is ranked where it is. The specific case to Holy Paladin and Resto Druid, the very firsts few lines of each spec is their general change from 9.0. to 9.0.5. patch. If you do read carefully, Holy Paladin scaling is one of the best, which also results in a higher DPS and HPS. Damage profile is very important when you rank healers, as this gives you an insight of how much they contribute towards the overall group damage, which in some cases can mean complete or deplete the key. A specific rank of a specialization can change even if that class/spec received no attention during 9.0.5. Example of this can be pointed, when another specialization is buffed, it indirectly puts other specs down, if that makes what I am trying to tell you.  

If you read carefully, the Holy Paladin section says why the specialization is the best healer. They provide the HIGHEST overall damage contribution as a healer, supported by a great utility, survivability and also immunity (which no other healer provides). They have passive DR (damage-reduction) mitigation in the face of their Devotion Aura. The only downside is, how HPS during no cooldowns, which can be tricky and also lack strong mobility, outside of their Divine Steed. All of this is included in the tier-list

To summarize, the very few opening lines of each spec are directed to the overall changes they received in the new patch (In this case 9.0.5.) and the information below is further justifying their placement, why they are there and most importantly, their strengths and weaknesses. The information is not out-dated, the opposite, I do check and put effort towards it, to provide, not only the most accurate tier lists, but also to explain why a specific specialization is there. In addition, I seek further justification from all of our class Guide Writers and Professionals, who know their class/specialization from inside out.

Guest Llokki

Thanks very much for the response Petko. That makes perfect sense, and if I'm being honest I went back and read over both again fully and saw what I had missed before about the damage profile. Murphy's Law, right? I appreciate the further explanation though.

That being said, I'm also curious about the tanks. Has the recent nerf to VDH's magic damage mitigation, and buff to all mitigation for the other tanks affected the rankings at all?

7 hours ago, Guest Llokki said:

Thanks very much for the response Petko. That makes perfect sense, and if I'm being honest I went back and read over both again fully and saw what I had missed before about the damage profile. Murphy's Law, right? I appreciate the further explanation though.

That being said, I'm also curious about the tanks. Has the recent nerf to VDH's magic damage mitigation, and buff to all mitigation for the other tanks affected the rankings at all?

Hey Llokki,

Thank you for reaching out!

I very much appreciate your interest and we, in Icy Veins, value people like you. To answer your question, the recent changes on tanks, were already addressed on the tier-list, but to further explain, I still believe VDH is the strongest tank this season, for a several reasons:

- > They provide Chaos Brand (5% magical damage debuff)) which is extremely valuable when you run a caster composition (which is considered meta as of now).
- > Arguably the tank with the highest damage output, the most mobily and the ability to have a 'cheat-death" effect (just like BDK but better).

Now that doesn't mean any other tank is BAD, but rather VDH fits the best within the current meta. I believe Protection Warriors and Guardian Druids are doing much better in terms of survivability and have high potential to be on top of the ladders once Season 2 rolls, but as of now speaking, VDH will remain the top tier tank.

Hopefully that clears the air around your question!

Much love as always,
Petko ❤️

Guest Sythica

Thanks jerks for making it REALLY hard to be accepted into groups. I'm a holy priest and my healing is fantastic. You put my spec at the bottom and all of a sudden I'm being accepted then immediately kicked from groups. You need to check your facts. A good holy priest is just as good as a disc. Most disc priests i know are not very good as the spec is hard to master.

Anyway, Don't discount holy priests. We're just as good as Disc.  >:| 

Hey Sythica, 

Thank you for expressing interest in our Mythic+ Healer Tier List. Holy Priest is not at the bottom of the tier-list and by far not the weakest. Just because it's under other healing specializations, doesn't mean it's bad, it means other specs are slightly more favourable. Holy Priest value was massively increased since the 9.0.5 patch, due to how Night Fae covenant works in Mythic+, giving us a DR (Damage Reduction) ability, which was a massive factor for placing the spec there. The overall damage contribution however is another issue that is yet to be addressed, I believe Holy Priest can excel if the damage department is slightly adjusted. But overall, it is a great spec which holds the spot as one of the best HPS healer in the Mythic+ scene. 

Hopefully I cleared some air around your confusion, thanks again!

Regards,
Petko.  

Why is the Guardian Druid described as "one of the highest-mobility tanks" in the details of the current Mythic+ tank tier list? Stampeding Roar has a fairly high cooldown, and it's mainly used as a party speed buff, not an individual one, to speed up moving to the next fight or occasionally for emergency escapes or such. And it's very risky to switch off Bear form with Dash and give your back to a group of mobs or boss. So, what am I missing here exactly? 

I don't think that outdoor or out-of-combat mobility needs to be considered when we're comparing tank mobilities, for example, in the active combat context. So, I think anyone who's tanked with all classes could probably agree with me that Guardian Druids have pretty much the least in-combat mobility out of all tanks after the Blood Death Knight. Even Paladins can get two charges of Divine Steed with Cavalier if they're willing to sacrifice Unbreakable Spirit or Blizzard makes Cavalier more easily accessible by perhaps reworking the Fist of Justice row.

As for everyone else double-dashing and/or double-hopping, yeah, I don't even need to get into details. 

16 hours ago, Rok said:

Why is the Guardian Druid described as "one of the highest-mobility tanks" in the details of the current Mythic+ tank tier list? Stampeding Roar has a fairly high cooldown, and it's mainly used as a party speed buff, not an individual one, to speed up moving to the next fight or occasionally for emergency escapes or such. And it's very risky to switch off Bear form with Dash and give your back to a group of mobs or boss. So, what am I missing here exactly? 

I don't think that outdoor or out-of-combat mobility needs to be considered when we're comparing tank mobilities, for example, in the active combat context. So, I think anyone who's tanked with all classes could probably agree with me that Guardian Druids have pretty much the least in-combat mobility out of all tanks after the Blood Death Knight. Even Paladins can get two charges of Divine Steed with Cavalier if they're willing to sacrifice Unbreakable Spirit or Blizzard makes Cavalier more easily accessible by perhaps reworking the Fist of Justice row.

As for everyone else double-dashing and/or double-hopping, yeah, I don't even need to get into details. 

Hey Rok!

Guardian Druid high mobility is not gated behing it's group-cooldown *Stampending Roar" but rather the ability to shapeshift and kite freely once they have no defensive mitigation up. When do tanks actually kite? When they reach critical health or run out of cooldowns, usually supported by a group utility, in this case, Guardian has its own option between opting towrads Typhoon or Ursol's Vortex, which both can be used to help him "kite" therefore creating a gap between him and the mobs. You can also opt to spec "Wild Charge" which can be used to an ally member to escape high dangerous mobs, keep it mind the shapeshifting and being in the accurate form.

Also, what is the most common covenant for Guardian Druid? It is Night Fae, and being Night Fae, allows you to have Soulshape, which pretty much works like a mini-Blink (compared to the mage) and also movement % increase for a couple of seconds, this is an alternative "mobiltiy choice" and by no means is the only one, but the majority of the Guardian Druids players, do play Night Fae.

Hopefully that clears some air, thank you for your input and looking forward to update those tier lists for 9.1!

Regards,
Petko

Guest Forriban

Hey! Interesting change in ranking for the rank tier list 9.1. 

I saw that you placed guardian druids in the S tier and placed them higher than DH’s despite any changes to the classes, (minus the 45 sec increased cd on honed instincts). So I’m curious why are guardians now the top tank? I don’t disagree but just curious !

On 6/21/2021 at 11:15 PM, Guest Forriban said:

Hey! Interesting change in ranking for the rank tier list 9.1. 

I saw that you placed guardian druids in the S tier and placed them higher than DH’s despite any changes to the classes, (minus the 45 sec increased cd on honed instincts). So I’m curious why are guardians now the top tank? I don’t disagree but just curious !

Hey Forriban!

First, I would like to say tha tier-list is based on keys between 10-20 with a focus more around the 15 ish mark.
I believe both Guardian and Vengence are very strong going into the next tier. Vengence has higher output especially going Kyrian in 9.1 with less than 30 sec Elysian Decree which will do insane damage. Guardian on the other hand is a safer choice allowin you to create massive pulls without needing much attention from your healer while having Incarnation up.

Now this is a preliminary tier-list prior 9.1 and yet not finalized but from my testing. Both Vengence, Guardian and Protection Warrior will do extremely well and will be a tier above everyone else. 

Here is why I think Vegence might fall a bit once you start getting above 15 keys in Season 2 (which are going to be like a +20 with the current 9.0.5 scaling). 
First there are no Cardboard Assasins anymore which was one of the main reasons why Vegence was so popular, high damage, but also high vulnerability, which Cardboards took care of!
Also Havoc DH is performing extremely well so if we have Havoc DH as a meta DPS pick ,then the likelyhood of seeing Vengece as the "best tank" might not be the case. Again time will tell. Keep in mind this is my opinion , supported from testing and also opinions of other tank experts.

But I do agree that if I could put Vengence and Guardian on the 1st spot I will, unfortunately one has to be placed below. I think for the lower end keys, Vengence will outperform Guardian by mile and mostly due teo output, but as soon as you enter slightly medium to high keys, Guardian takes over by a biti

Let me know what do you think about it,
Regards,
Petko

Guest Llokki

Got linked to this thread from the Healer Mythic+ tier list…

Just wanted to share that Paladins cannot cleanse Curses.  As you can see from the hover, we can remove Poisons and Diseases, so while the WoWhead spell linked is correct, the part written by the guide writer incorrectly states we can remove Curses.
image.thumb.png.79ce87ff83692cb01f7d07c9f5b94674.png
Just wanted to help proofread ❤️