FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
datrunk2dunk

Resto druid question

Whats the minimum recommended mastery i should have when i switch over to the haste build? Currently running mastery build and it seems good. 

Some druids say that mastery build is better for 10 mans, is that true? 

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/ragnaros/Rawrkitty/simple

Little extra spirit i know, but thats because i have been solo healing or carrying low ilvl healers. Will reduce it when i get a good partner.

Every model I've come up with says that if you can reach the cap, do it. Even if you go down to very little mastery, it's worth the jump (and you're going to see a huge drop anyway, 13k is a long way away from our other haste breakpoints). Stop at that breakpoint, though, and don't go for the other caps.

Okay first off, Mastery builds are MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (did I mention MUCH?) better suited for 25 man content, as often your job as a resto is to pre-heal damage, not to react like other healers. However, it's the total opposite in 10 man content, where you don't have 3-4 other healers. Having tried both, I can't express how INCREDIBLE haste is... like seriously... I recommend going for that 13k cap as soon as you physically can while still having enough spirit to perform your duty.

The reactivity of that 13k haste cap in 10 man content is unbelievably powerful, and you won't run into the problem that you would have in 25 man: that by the time your HoT's tick, the damage has already been healed. In 10 man, you need to be able to react, and react quickly, and haste allows you to do that.  

Also looking at your armory, I see you are running Incarnation, personally with the exception of immersius (just to heal blobs ASAP), I recommend running Soul of the Forest, your wild growths are like mini-tranquilitys when you pop them with SotF.

there are currently 2 types of resto druids. mastery over haste and haste over mastery. the mastery build is slightly better ( not MUCH MUCH MUCH MUCH (did I mention MUCH?) in 25 man. let look at what both haste and mastery dose

Mastery Rating has two benefits, thanks to wow_icon_spell_nature_healingway.jpgMastery: Harmony. Firstly, it increases your direct healing (not healing over time). Secondly, each time you heal a player with a direct heal, you gain a self buff that increases your periodic healing for 20 seconds. It is a very valuable statistic.

Haste Rating is important because it lowers the cast time of your heals and, more importantly, it increases the number of ticks from your various healing over time spells. It also lowers your global cooldown, bringing it closer to the desired 1 second global cooldown, which benefits all of your instant cast spells.

the fact is Mastery Rating dose up your your healing however Haste Rating increases the number of ticks from your various healing over time spells. you honestly need both. i would suggest upping your haste to 24.84% haste or 32.1% haste yes it will lower your mastery but it will up you healing 

According to Kaz, he's found with w/e theorycrafting hes done that haste is always an increase up to these breakpoints.  After the 13k one its just too much of an investment and better going for mastery.

And really, in high level gear (assuming you're not wearing any crit pieces) you can easily get over 10-12k mastery with the 13k haste breakpoint (look at my armory)

It's a matter of bigger versus faster. Without going into all the insane calculations, let me just explain how this works mathematically:

Haste and mastery each affect HPS linearly. Together, they have a multiplicative relationship on our HPS. Roughly, it's like this:

HPS = BaseHPS*(1+(Haste% / 100))*(1+(Mastery% / 100))

Consider having 10% Haste and 20% Mastery with 10,000 BaseHPS. 10000*1.10*1.20=13,200

Now, add let's run this again with 22% Mastery: 10000*1.10*1.22=13420 and again with 12% Haste: 10000*1.12*1.20=13440

Now, here's the real deal: Haste and Mastery aren't that even. Let's assume a 574 PPP for 8.51285% amp.

To begin with, mastery begins at 10% plus 3255 post-amp from the raid buff for a base 16.78% mastery. Haste begins at 0% plus 5% from the raid buff for a base 5% haste. Note that this starts haste off behind (and, as we saw above, that makes it more valuable at a lower amount).

Now, let's look at increasing from the base amount. Mastery gets the 8.51285% amp from the trinket. This takes it from 480 points per 1% to 442.344 points per 1%. Haste gets the same 8.51285% amp in addition to the 5% boost from the raid buff, dropping it from 425 points per 1% to 373.008 points per 1%.

Now let's do a little bit more "not-fully-precise-math" with our 10000 BaseHPS. We're now looking at:

HPS = 10000 * (1.1678 + .01 * (mastery / 442.344)) * (1.05 + .01 * (haste / 373.008))

At 0 mastery and 0 haste, this has our starting point at 12262.116 HPS.

If we go up to 100 Haste and 0 Mastery, we go up to 12395.17 for an increase of 133.05971.  If we go up to 100 Mastery and 0 Haste, we instead see 12285.85277 for an increase of 23.73719. 

If we set Haste to 10k with 0 mastery, we get to 25568.08676.  Adding another 100 haste gives us the same 133.05971 increase. Adding 100 mastery instead is only a 49.49508 increase. At 20k haste, the increase goes the same 133 vs. about 75 mastery. At 30k haste, it's 133 vs. 101 from mastery. 

Again, this is "not-fully-precise-math", so it's not totally precise, but it's still roughly correct. Our haste is *slightly* devalued from this number due to the 1 second GCD on Rejuv and Swiftmend. I say only slightly, though, because the HoT is still sped up even though the GCD isn't. Once we get to those ridiculous amounts of haste past the 13163 break point, we start getting close to GCD cap for all of our spells, devaluing it more. But, our haste value is DRASTICALLY increased at the haste breakpoints when we add huge chunks of healing to our spells.

So, again, the math isn't exactly like this, but hopefully this explains why mastery isn't as good as a lot of people think.