FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Akraen

Frost Bomb Week! Apr 22(23eu) - 29

Hey all frost mages! I have an idea, and a fun mini-project. Next week, if you're capable of doing so, log and post your logs of you using Frost Bomb on any Flex, Normal, or Heroic encounters.

Please specify how much haste/mastery/crit you had at the time of the parse. Also ponder on whether or not FCoR will work itself out to be better. Try it out on every fight if you can!

I will be using FB on each fight in Heroic SoO and trying to analyze the target switching advantages as well as micro-DPS impacts on not multi-targetting.

FB is the most mysterious spell option we have. We know it's viable, the numbers I run on it always come out far higher than what we see happen in reality (if cooldown clipping didn't happen it would be #1 single target, 2 target, and 3+ targets! but cd clipping does happen, so maybe there are ways to streamline our play?)

Now's a great opportunity for someone with some outside-the-box thinking and playstyle to suggest ways of making FB work better than how we normally use it. Your feedback and data will also help design the new FB in beta.

Happy raiding!

PS:

These are my stat weights based off what I know about frostbomb:

qy4cFmt.png

• Like 1

3.8 CD with BL and meta 0.0 

just testing the ROT before raid and have you ever tested FB with crit levels since FB crit are always a 200% boost and  LB crit are only a 33% dmg boost (every time it crits) ?

Edited by Ulkjin

Frost bomb loooooves crit, but it's a tough call to say whether it is better than mastery. I honestly don't know. I have TC-Lite numbers and have fiddled with different ratios, but I keep coming back to wanting haste.

With FB, your ET%s shift dramatically away from FFB and into FB itself. This causes there to no longer be a debate on haste vs. mastery, giving the edge entirely to haste. This is about all I know for sure.

What still should be determined in attempting to gear for frost bomb is:

--- is 1int > 2mastery? (I do think so)

--- is 1int > 2 haste? (I don't think so)

--- is 1 int > 2 crit? (probably)

--- is 1 crit > 1 mastery? (maybe up to shatter cap, since there are less FFB's, crit on frostbolt & frost bomb is useful)

So with the ET% shift from FFB to FB, we find haste and crit matter more, while mastery matters less. However, the icicle generation from frostbolt still relies heavily on mastery and the WE is mostly a wash.

It's basically a real rotation change and DPET values don't quite capture frostbomb at all, because it's CD frequency that matters for the scaling of the spell, along with its resulting FFBs. More haste increases the value of mastery due to the increase in number of FFBs. No idea how to model that either.

i feel at this haste levels (18986) i am definitely getting more FFB in single target fight. Do you think this gives are 4 set more value, which will also give us more crit naturally. just my thoughts right now 

i feel at this haste levels (18986) i am definitely getting more FFB in single target fight. Do you think this gives are 4 set more value, which will also give us more crit naturally. just my thoughts right now 

It's possible but I still doubt that 4pc is worth it, it's just too insignificant overall.

If you really do end up getting more FFB's, that's intriguing! I would've anticipated less. Hmm...

i have 14276 haste, 64% mastery and 29% crit raid buffed
same gear had last week 

i use frost bomb on this fights

spoils: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/mNXZTLg68dzncWjA#fight=7 normal

shamans: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/VxH97wjncrgtFDhT hc

i also use on galakras but dont have it loged. Will have at sunday

tested living bomb vs frost bomb on garrosh and at the end of fight dmg when using frost bomb was higher

EDITED:

noticed that u asked this for next week, but well i guess it wont hurt if i post right now! :>

Edited by Blackd
  • Like 1

I've always raided with Frost Bomb, mostly becuase of latency issues beeing a European playing on a US server. Our guild are currently running 2 Frost Mages, myself(Tegal) and Vaeal. He's using the more traditional Frost Mages builds while i pretty much only use Frost Bomb.

He's going the 14242 Haste/Mastery route while i play the haste build so i can confirm that Mastery is better for Iron Jugg fights while Haste wins out on target switching fights. When it comes to Frost Bomb Vs Other bombs it honestly feels pretty close. I'll post out logs which should give you pretty good data on Frost Bomb Vs other bombs from months of raiding.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/guilds/7028/

Edited by Tegal

Just ran Sha and Jug Normal (and Galakras i guess, but i always use it there) with Frost Bomb to test this. Currently i'm running a mastery build until i can get to 14242 haste more comfortably; armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/chamber-of-aspects/Aleema/simple

My first impressions: really not worth it. The downsides of losing snapshotting, having one less instant and having a rotation that's more rigid (since you have to recast the bomb every once in a while) make it a pretty annoying spell to use regularly imo. Also, my dps was a bit lower than normal. Nothing major, but it was noticable nonetheless.

I'll post logs once they are uploaded and i'm back from uni tomorrow.

Edited by TLTeo

Yeah it just doesn't work well, but we all knew that!

Every now and then we just need to use it to remind ourselves. I enjoy it, but it's difficult/bad.

Log here http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/e63701x7mapdz6dl/

For WoD feedback, i'd say the most important thing is making it instant, especially with the Brain Freeze change and snapshotting removal. Cooldown clipping is also crazy annoying, and i don't think it's realistic to find some kind of "haste interval breakpoint" where the bomb cooldown is comparable to a combination of GCD's+FFB/FB cooldowns to minimize clipping consistently.

Edited by TLTeo

It's actually far better that it stays a cast time. Think about this:

You cast, spend a gcd, gcd ends when frostbomb applies and you get 12 seconds. You can fire off an icelance straight away, and you actually get 1 extra gcd inside that frost bomb.

As opposed to

Instant cast, You apply the frost bomb, and now you have a gcd. When that ends you now only got 11 seconds of frost bomb to proc explosions with ice lance.

Assuming they keep the current WoD design, yes. If they don't make it interact with icelance (like right now on live) i still would prefer an instant, especially since we are losing instant FFB.

My post was more regarding the overall design, than the specific of what's happening in Alpha right now.

Edited by TLTeo