Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartiejoe

Few Questions about DK tanking heading for Heroic Progression

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My raid team comfortably gets through 13/14 normal bosses a week, and the majority of the team are 14/14 normal and 2/14 hc. I have just joined this team and heading towards a garrosh kill and then heroic progress I was wondering how I should go about optimising my character.

Here is the armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/terokkar/Jo%C3%A9/simple

(I know there's some dps pieces, I used to be dps and have been unlucky with tank drops)

I wasn't sure whether to go for a higher mastery build, stay as I am, or less mastery and more parry.

Also another question, I struggle with AoE Aggro. On fights like Garrosh in the first phase and the waves of adds in Galakras and Spoils, I sometimes struggle to keep aggro on them all, any tips?

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Brilliant advice! Thank you! Yeah I'm still trying to get trinkets since switching from dps! So I'm kinda stuck with what I've got! :p 

It's always a warlock for me, and extremely skilled destro lock in 567ish gear, and a bit of a dps lover, he likes to top charts, even if it means snapping aggro :p

Wow your parry is crazy for your ilvl it matchs my 573 blood deathknight almost 300 less. Yeah basicly what storm said i just wanted to comment more or less on how much parry you had for your ilvl

Hi there!

I notice that you use full +320 parry inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_red.jpgFlashing Primordial Ruby gemming, thus the high parry rating.

I want to ask, not only you but the community generaly, is that a viable choice for our beloved mastery-hungry class, or you are just using it because - as you said - you feel uncomfortable with your gear?

I personally find the 160Parry/Mastery inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgFine Vermilion Onyx and the 160Mastery/120Stamina inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_green.jpgPuissant Wild Jade Gems a better choice.

I rouglhy can say that you can gain about 50% increase in Mastery rating, and a 50k boost in your HealthPool with that gemming.

Health hardly matters once you break 800k and mastery just becomes useless at some points other then for like heroic thok is about the only case i can think of that mastery might be needed other was parry is fine and increases your dps a lot without losing hardly any survivability  

Most DK's I know or have talked to are using an avoidance build now instead of mastery because of the higher dps from riposte. damage taken by the tank is rarely a make or break issue on most fights, and the extra dps can make a positive difference in many cases.

Very interesting points. Will put some thought on it. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tanksta1
      [H] Salvation (est.2007) is a progression raiding guild on US-Cenarion Circle/Sisters of Elune.
      Objective
      Salvation is actively searching and recruiting players for current heroic content. What we look to do in the short-term is recruit players and gear them in our farm content. Mythic + will be run as well since it serves as another outlet to gearing up. By doing this we prepare them for our long-term goal, Mythic Mode Progression.
      Recruiting for Tomb of Sargeras
      Tanks- Closed Melee- Rogue x1 Ranged- Mages x1, Hunter x2, Warlock x2, Balance/Resto Druid x1 Healers- Holy/Disc Priest x1, Resto/Ele Shaman x1

***Exceptional applicants can feel free to sign up even if we aren't recruiting your class/spec. Outstanding applications will always be considered.
      We are also accepting players that engage in social aspects of the WoW community such as leveling, PvP, questing, dungeon finding, roleplaying and other challenging activites. We provide monthly guild events. For example, the Tournament of Tiny Champions. It’s a pet battle tournament where guildies compete with each other using 3-6 of their mightiest level 25 tiny champions. We are expanding this extremely fun side of Salvation so that everyone can join in on some action and prizes!
      Raiding Schedule
      Our schedule is as follows. We push content three times a week for 3 hours at a time starting at 6:00pm to 9:00pm PST Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Mondays. 
      Our Raiding Requirements
      You must be able to raid all three nights. Be on time for raid. Lateness will not be tolerated. Be able to play the optimal specialization for Legion raid encounters. (this requirement is more towards the pure dps classes and hybrid classes in some special cases) Come prepared with the knowledge of the Legion raid bosses and mechanics. Have Discord app installed and a working microphone to communicate. Discord browser and phone app is also acceptable. (Note: Some of these requirements will change as time goes on. Ex: Guild Discord server.)
      How to Join
      Please sign up on our guild website at:
      www.salvationcc.guildlaunch.com Want to reach me in game? On Discord? Questions or concerns? Hit me up at:
      Battletag: Zanngetsu#1255 Discord: Tankstâ2329  
    • By Maruka1977
      Main Deets:   Shameless Shenanigans is a Horde guild on the Zul'jin server. Looking for tank and dps with tank off spec. Raid times are Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 9:30 pm CDT. 4/9N in ToS Casuals and alts are most welcome too! Shameless Shenanigans is a casual progression guild making our way through Tomb of Sargeras. Our current team consists of adults with jobs, kids, dogs, and an endless supply of bad jokes. After taking some time off, we're ready to get back to raiding and fill in some missing spots on our team.
        We're currently at 4 of 9 on normal, so this will give the potential new team member a chance to experience this raid from a mostly fresh start. Loot will be set on personal loot. We raid on Tuesday and Wednesday evenings from 7:30 to 9:30 pm CDT.   The perfect applicant will be 21+ years old, 905+ iLvl, a fan of puns and awful dad jokes, friendly, willing to learn the raid and also to offer help when able to do so. It'd also be nice if you have a microphone that doesn't suck. Specifically, and most immediately, we need an off tank. We're also looking for some dps with tank off spec to fill in nights when we're short a tank.    If you're looking for a hardcore atmosphere with perfect players who don't make mistakes and in a big rush to down bosses and rush through this raid, this IS NOT the team for you. If our group sounds like something you'd be interested in, contact me so we can have a chat.    And of course, alllll casuals are welcome too. Aside from raids, we have organized guild events, competitions with prizes, we regularly run mythics, and we also enjoy hitting old content for achievements, mounts, transmog, etc.    Contact info:   Bnet:  Maruka#1991 Discord:  Maruka#7465 Twitter:  @Maruka1977 Email:  maruka1977 at gmail dot com   I'm looking forward to meeting some new players!!
    • By Dominia
      WE ARE LOOKING FOR DPS ONLY.
      WE ARE FULL ON DK, MAGE, DRUID, AND ROGUE CLASSES.
      WE ARE ON EARTHEN RING BUT YOU DO NOT HAVE TO SERVER TRANSFER OR JOIN THE GUILD TO RAID WITH US.
      <Mythic on Mains> is comprised of raiders who value their time and enjoy playing together. The core group has continually cleared current content Ahead of the Curve on both Normal and Heroic since Warlords of Draenor. 

We raid Thursday and Sunday evenings from 7:45pm-11pm EASTERN.
      Invites: 7:45pm -- First Pull: 8:00pm -- End: 11:00pm

REQUIREMENTS
      ilvl 890+
      Artifact 50+

EXPECTATIONS
      1. Be available for both raid nights and for the entire scheduled raid time (Invites: 7:45pm, End: 11:00pm).

2. Let us know of scheduled absences as far in advance as possible. We have low tolerance for repeated no-shows but we understand emergencies do happen.

3. Use the highest available enchants and gems in your gear.

4. Maintain an appropriate understanding of your class spec, talents, and rotations. 
      5. Bring appropriate buff food, potions, and flasks.

6. Review fight strategies and videos when requested.

7. Take suggestions for improvement and follow directions on voice chat.

8. Bring the fun.

REQUIRED ADD-ONS
      DBM or Big Wigs
      Exorsus Raid Tools
      GTFO (not required but highly recommended)

REQUIRED VOICE CHAT
      Discord 
      If you are interested in joining us, please post the following information on Discord at https://discord.gg/vBvaDZy and someone will get back to you as soon as possible:
      Toon Name@Server
      Class: Spec/Off Spec
      Main Spec: iLevel / artifact level / AK level
      Prior Raid Experience
      Battletag
      CONTACT INFO
      BNet: Dominia#1504 or Malgolath#1310
      Discord: Dominia#5437 or Malgolath#0468
      Twitter: @TheRealDominia or @Malgolath
    • By gruuwlijk
      Hey everyone!
      <SOD> a dutch-speaking casual raiding guild on Tarren Mill (Horde) is recruiting raiders!
      The next message will be written in dutch:
      Hallo!
      Wij zijn <SOD> een Nederlandstalige raiding guild op de server Tarren Mill.
      De guild bestaat nu ongeveer 10 jaar en heeft een vaste basis aan spelers die ook al sinds die tijd in de guild zitten.
      We hebben momenteel 7/7 HC in The Emerald Nightmare, 3/3 HC in Trial of Valor en 10/10 HC in The Nighthold. We willen graag ons raid-team uitbreiden om in de toekomst, indien er genoeg raiders zijn, ook mythic te gaan raiden. Daar missen we nu nog een handje vol spelers voor.
      <SOD> raid op Dinsdag + Donderdag van 19:30 uur tot 22:30 uur, met soms een 3e raid op Zondag (zelfde tijden).
      We zoeken ervaren raiders (1 Tank met DPS offspec en goede DPS'ers) om het team te versterken voor Mythic raiding.
      Alle classes zijn bespreekbaar, indien gegeared en ervaren.
      WIl je graag meer weten over <SOD>, of wil je graag onze team komen versterken? Neem dan contact op door middel van Real-ID of bezoek onze website en plaats een Application!
      http://sod-guild.enjin.com
      Real-ID:
      Gruuwelijk#2460
      Frenkel#2531 
      healbotbob#1175 
      Ngamer#2831
      M.v.g.
      Gruuwelijk
    • By Nergul
      About us
      Wardance is an active raiding guild whose goal is to see and conquer all of the current content and beyond while allowing our members to enjoy a life outside the game. We have been actively raiding as a team since ToC in Wrath of the Lich King some of us have been playing together much longer than that. We are a smaller guild and because our turnover among our core has been almost non-existent, we've hardly needed to recruit in the past as we are a close group.
      We are currently looking for exceptional individuals that want to progress through current raid content and beyond including future expansions. We will be working on completing mythics and achievements for the encounters and intend to raid through this entire expansion and beyond. If this interests you please contact us.
      Recruitment Info
      Recruitment Needs:
      Tanks: (Low) Druid // Monk
      Melee DPS: Rogue // Monk // Demon Hunter
      Ranged DPS: Priest // Mage // Druid
      Healer: Priest // Druid
      Please be at least 900+ ilvl and have decent progress on your artifact weapon.
      All Exceptional!!! classes/roles that may not be listed are still encouraged to apply.
      Preferred Applicants: Those who enjoy playing the game at a high level that prefer not to raid more than 2 days/6 hours a week. The ideal candidate will be one that is actively doing relevant content in game outside of our raid schedule with other guild members.
      Schedule Info
      Progression Schedule:
      Days (2): Tuesday & Wednesday
      Hours: 8:00 PM - 11:00 PM EST
      Farm Schedule:
      Days (1): Sunday
      Hours: 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM EST
      We pride ourselves on having a minimally invasive raid schedule, however we are very serious for the nights we are raiding as far as getting things done. We would like to see members online more than simply just raid nights and often do other things on those nights even though nothing is officially scheduled. We do not plan to alter our raid times but circumstances could come up that require us to do so. Despite any changes that may occur to the raid schedule we tend to preserve weekends as they are sacred to many of us.
      Contact Info
      Nergul#1277
      Auura#1871
      Recruitment Expectations & Member Conduct
      Our reputation on Zul'jin is very important to us, as it should be. We expect all of our members to act mature, and show the utmost respect towards others, whether it be in guild or out of guild. We do not participate in realm forum trolling or epeening. We let our guild achievements and attitude do the talking.
      As a recruit, our expectations as far as gems, enchants, consumable usage and attendance is identical to our veterans. Not meeting that expectation means you have failed your application. While we do not ONLY consider players decked in Mythic Raiding gear, please do not you waste your time and ours if your main cannot out-gear my alts, there are plenty of opportunities to gear up out there between dungeons, weekly chests, LFR, and pug raiding. Do not go AFK during trash, show up late to raids, or fail to understand the basic mechanics of your class or raid encounters or you will not make it to full member status. Assuming you reach the end of the 28 day Trial period, the officers will determine whether you were successful or not and will decide to either promote you to veteran, extend your probation or ask you to leave the guild.
      Loot
      Wardance runs a Loot List system (Modified Loot Council) where each member composes a monthly list of up to 12 items valuable to their class and spec and orders it in priority of greatest value. As long as the minimum 80% (rolling 5 week cycle) attendance threshold is maintained, the highest listing of the piece determines who loots the items and in what order. In the event of ties the loot council will step in and decide distribution based on several parameters such as guild rank, attendance, performance, biggest upgrade (including set bonuses), contribution to raid progress, etc. I assure you that these discussions are well thought out and fair.