Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
smartiejoe

Few Questions about DK tanking heading for Heroic Progression

8 posts in this topic

Hi All,

My raid team comfortably gets through 13/14 normal bosses a week, and the majority of the team are 14/14 normal and 2/14 hc. I have just joined this team and heading towards a garrosh kill and then heroic progress I was wondering how I should go about optimising my character.

Here is the armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/terokkar/Jo%C3%A9/simple

(I know there's some dps pieces, I used to be dps and have been unlucky with tank drops)

I wasn't sure whether to go for a higher mastery build, stay as I am, or less mastery and more parry.

Also another question, I struggle with AoE Aggro. On fights like Garrosh in the first phase and the waves of adds in Galakras and Spoils, I sometimes struggle to keep aggro on them all, any tips?

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Brilliant advice! Thank you! Yeah I'm still trying to get trinkets since switching from dps! So I'm kinda stuck with what I've got! :p 

It's always a warlock for me, and extremely skilled destro lock in 567ish gear, and a bit of a dps lover, he likes to top charts, even if it means snapping aggro :p

Wow your parry is crazy for your ilvl it matchs my 573 blood deathknight almost 300 less. Yeah basicly what storm said i just wanted to comment more or less on how much parry you had for your ilvl

Hi there!

I notice that you use full +320 parry inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_red.jpgFlashing Primordial Ruby gemming, thus the high parry rating.

I want to ask, not only you but the community generaly, is that a viable choice for our beloved mastery-hungry class, or you are just using it because - as you said - you feel uncomfortable with your gear?

I personally find the 160Parry/Mastery inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgFine Vermilion Onyx and the 160Mastery/120Stamina inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_green.jpgPuissant Wild Jade Gems a better choice.

I rouglhy can say that you can gain about 50% increase in Mastery rating, and a 50k boost in your HealthPool with that gemming.

Health hardly matters once you break 800k and mastery just becomes useless at some points other then for like heroic thok is about the only case i can think of that mastery might be needed other was parry is fine and increases your dps a lot without losing hardly any survivability  

Most DK's I know or have talked to are using an avoidance build now instead of mastery because of the higher dps from riposte. damage taken by the tank is rarely a make or break issue on most fights, and the extra dps can make a positive difference in many cases.

Very interesting points. Will put some thought on it. :)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Loghaire
      We would be looking for the tank to begin raiding with us Sunday. If you are raid locked until Tuesday please reach out to me still as it isn't a deal-breaker. This is for a core consistent spot within our 5/10M team. 100% attendance is expected during first 2 weeks. Beyond the first 2 weeks, we expect limited to no misses; however, we understand that situations happen. We are also open to recruit DPS, ranged in particular.
      http://www.TeamDeviant.com
      Expectations
      900+ itemized equipped iLevel
      42+ trait points
      knowledge & experience within Heroic/Mythic Nighthold fights
      Server:
      Destromath, Thunderlord, Azgalor & Azshara
      About Us:
      <Deviant> is a progression based 3-day raiding guild formed on July 11th, 2006. We use the EPGP loot system. Members are expected to be on time with consumables and must be capable of receiving constructive criticism. We push our members to improve themselves regardless of being at the top or bottom of the charts and to research boss encounter mechanics before raid time.
      Current Progression:
      5/10 Mythic NH, 7/7 Mythic EN, 2/3 Mythic ToV
      Raid Schedule (Server[CST]):
      Tuesday & Thursday: 10:00PM - 12:30AM
      Sunday: 10:00PM - 12:00AM
      Contact Info:
      If you have any questions, feel free to contact one of our officers directly:
      Enceno#1753 [GM]
      Humanbean#1710
      Monkdom#1900
      Ashayah#1380
    • By thenightowl
        Hey Folks!
      Sacred Fire is a heroic progression guild. We have earned AOTC for NH and are currently farming that content weekly. For TOS we are wanting to grow the team a bit though and are looking to fill the roster up to 25-30 players! 

We are sorely in need of melee, some prime class applicants would be Demon Hunter, SV hunter, Enhance Shaman, Ret Paladin and WW monk.

Raid Times are: Mon/Tues/Thurs 530pm-830pm Server. 

Most of us are East Coast / Central time raiders. Looking for folks interested in doing Nighthold with us as well as Tomb of Sargeras. We need you to have the 36th point in your weapon and be at least 880 item level. The item level requirement is flexible but the 36th point is not. We ask that you be committed to the game at least in the sense that you plan to raid a full tier as well as give us notice of any plans to stop playing. 

Healer Priority: Monk, Shaman, Druid, Pally, Priest
      MDPS: Demon Hunter, Warrior, Paladin, Rogue, Feral
      RDPS Priority: Priest, Druid, Shaman, Warlock, Hunter 

Any player of these classes/criteria are welcome. We will also consider any other players except main spec tanks. Offspec tanks are great! 

If you are interested, please visit our website: http://sacred-fire.wowlaunch.com

Add myself: commander#1222 or one of my officers: Meatshyld#1199 | Relfie#1853

Continue reading for more information on our guild!
      -----
      Sacred Fire was created in 2004 on the Icecrown server. For over a decade, this guild has provided casual to casually serious raiders a home to progress through content while maintaining a normal life outside the game. In 2013 during Mists of Pandaria, the guild leadership decided for a change in raiding and locale and moved the guild to Proudmoore. Since being here we have dedicated ourselves to Heroic AOTC raiding and have been successful as such.

Sacred Fire is not a mythic raiding guild and we do not act or treat players as such. We still have rules and ask our players to perform and commit when they say they can. If you are interested in raiding, please see our website for rules and information or if you have questions please add our battletags mentioned above.

We do accept mergers and groups of people that are looking for a new home. As always it would be a trial type of experience as our main concern is the gelling of all parties involved. We play to have fun at the end of the day and drama is not accepted. Our Discord atmosphere is normally pretty focused most nights with only helpful chatter during bosses. 

Thank you for reading have a good day.
      TNO
    • By Thomo
      Knights of the Legion (not to be confused with the Burning Legion) has been around since Vanilla WoW and is on Azuremyst & Stormrage. We have a nice funny raiding environment with a whole load of laughs, and normally abuse at our fat panda monk, while still maintaining good progression
      This expansion(when current):
      Emerald Nightmare - 7/7H
      ToV - 3/3H
      The Nighthold - 9/10H
      Our raiding schedule:
      Thursday - 20:30 - 23:00 ST
      Sunday - 20:30 - 23:00 ST
      Tuesday - 20:30 - 23:00 ST
      Recruiting:
      We are currently accepting multiple roles and classes. Currently full on tanks but can still be considered.
      All applicants will be considered, regardless of class (spec) demand.
      What do you want? What do we want?
      Lets get real. We all want to raid and progress. To do this you need to be aware, good, prepared and willing to pull together as a team. We all contribute to our progression and we all reap its bounty!
      What we expect from you:
      - Most importantly be friendly
      - Able to use TS
      - Strong knowledge of your class
      - Adequate consumables to see you through every raiding night
      - Well looked after gear (gemmed and enchanted appropriately relevant to your stat weights)
      What we can give you:
      - We can give you a great team of people who are up for a laugh and progression at the same time
      - Social guild who like doing stuff together outside of raids and in other games (got some diablo addicts here)
      - We can provide opportunities to play other characters in alt runs
      Want to Apply?
      Fill in an application at http://www.knightsofthelegion.com/
      or
      Contact me in-game or Battle.net (Burton768#2282) if you are interested and we can have a chat!

• By Hisui
      Currently seeking
      We are currently looking to bolster our range damage dealer ranks, but we are always on the lookout for skilled players of all classes/specs 
      The classes we are currently recruiting:
         Hunter    Mage    Shadow priest    Elemental shaman    Warlock    Balance druid    Holy paladin    Discipline priest  
      Who are we?
      <Andromeda>  is a 2 nights heroic raiding guild located on Stormrage eu. While the atmosphere in the guild is friendly and social, we do strive and focus on progression during our raid nights. We also run mythic+ during our free evenings. While we have a stable roaster we are looking to expand our raiding team and if we fill our ranks we will not shy away from going into mythic raiding.
      <Andromeda>  was  re-formed for the start of WoD and cleared each raid instance on heroic, and are looking to do the same in Legion. We are composed of a tight-knit group of old friends, most of whom have played together since vanilla or early expansions. A lot of us are former "hardcore" raiders, but are now pursuing a more relaxed and fun approach to raiding and WoW. If you're a former member from the Vanilla/TBC days, then you will probably recognise a few old faces and names! We like to organise other activities within the guild aside from raiding and mythic+, like quiz games on our mumble server where you can win different awards and the occasional IRL meetup. 
      Many of our members have variable work commitments (travel abroad for work, rotas (e.g. doctors/EMTs etc)) and we appreciate this is reflective of the wider community. As such, we do have an understanding if you sometimes can't show up for raid due to work or important exam in your study, but we do expect you to have a high attendance.
      What we offer
      A guild with a friendly and social atmosphere both inside and outside raids while we still keep a sense of professionalism during progression on new bosses. Consistent raid progression Mythic+ runs during our free nights where you are more than welcome to join in on runs for the weekly bounty chest or want to push for higher and higher keystones to see how far we can push it each week. A guild bank that will have you covered if you don't always have time to farm before raids. Different guild events such a wow quizzes where you can win prices from our guildbank Our progress:
      7/7H Emerald Nightmare
      3/3H Trial of Valor
      9/10H Nighthold
      What would be expected of you?
      What we do ask is that our members are familiar with tactics on new bosses, adapt to changes and handle constructive feedback. Have fully gemmed/enchanted their gear, bring flasks and food. However, further to the above, we keep the guildbank stocked with free-of-charge "emergency" consumables to help those with busy schedules that sometimes don't have the time to farm before a raid. 
      Raid times
      Tuesdays 21:00-23:00
      Sundays 20:00-23:00
      (If we are close to a kill and people can stay, we will extend the raid for 30 min)
      Where do I sign up?!
      Fill the application on the bottom of the page and send it to andromedarecruits@gmail.com . If you have any questions or would like to know more about our guild? Just whisper one of our members and ask to be pointed towards an officer (or whisper Jaegra (Aegon#2370), Garantine (euphrati#2822), Hisui (Rena#2140), Justifier (Justifier#2179) or Selenelion (PipSedai#2926) directly).
      Trails
      If your application get accepted and you are invited to our guild you will start your journey as a trail member that will last 4 weeks, during your trail period you will be getting feedback on your performance from our officers and members.
      Application
      Tell us about yourself
      (A small summery of who you are)
      Armory link for your character
      Can you keep high attendance for our raids?
      (If you have work or study that will sometimes interfere with our raids, this is where you tell us about it)
      Current raid experience
      (Describe your current raid experience in wow)
      What can you offer our guild?
      (What can you as player bring to our raid and guild)
      Why did you choose to apply to our guild?
      (Describe why you want to join our guild)
    • By Nobbykinz
      Autumn Mist is a raiding social guild looking for players like you.
      http://www.autumn-mist.net
      We are mostly searching to increase our DPS raid team so we can advance further through heroic Nighthold and then onto ToS.
      We are a very active guild with events on most days:
      All starting at 8pm Server time other then the whole day events.
      Wed: TOV HC
      Thurs: Nighthold HC
      Fri: Mythic + night
      Sat: Nighthold N
      Sun: Gear up sunday + Nighthold HC
      Mon: Emerald Nightmare HC
      Tues: Transmog Tuesday
      As we establish ourselves people are welcome to come and go to any of the events with no pressure to attend all, With raiders gaining the benefit and support of the guild bank to maintain and keep us going throughout the raid.
      Social or normal members will be able to join on any of the farm raids, alts also welcome. All requirements for the raids are posted in the calendar (ilvl+dps).
      Feel free to apply via the website, or add me on bnet if you want a chat, Nobbykinz#2994 all questions welcome.