FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
smartiejoe

Few Questions about DK tanking heading for Heroic Progression

Hi All,

My raid team comfortably gets through 13/14 normal bosses a week, and the majority of the team are 14/14 normal and 2/14 hc. I have just joined this team and heading towards a garrosh kill and then heroic progress I was wondering how I should go about optimising my character.

Here is the armory link: http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/terokkar/Jo%C3%A9/simple

(I know there's some dps pieces, I used to be dps and have been unlucky with tank drops)

I wasn't sure whether to go for a higher mastery build, stay as I am, or less mastery and more parry.

Also another question, I struggle with AoE Aggro. On fights like Garrosh in the first phase and the waves of adds in Galakras and Spoils, I sometimes struggle to keep aggro on them all, any tips?

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Your parry is impressively high for your item level, and your mastery isn't too bad either. I'd keep everything the way you have it now. The only thing I would recommend changing is your runeforge. I'd use Fallen Crusader over sword shattering. Sword shattering would be best if the parry contributed to riposte, but it doesn't. Fallen crusader gives you about 2.5% parry when it proc's, plus self healing and extra damage. You'll probably also want to eventually replace your Rook's talisman and keep it for situational fights where you can use it for aoe mitigation. double stam trinkets are sort of overkill. you'd be best with a Thok's tailtip or even Skeer's or Iron Juggernaut focusing crystal.

Aoe aggro is a problem for every tank on those fights. good dps can easily out threat us in the first 5 seconds. The best advice I can really give you is; Death and Decay, Dancing rune weapon whenever you can for initial threat, and spam blood boil until you know you have solid aggro on everything.

Typically it will be the same 2-3 people in your raid that are always pulling threat off you. for me it's been a few well geared shamans and warlocks that give me the biggest threat issues. If you're finding its always the same people you can also try making /assist macros for those people to make it easier to taunt off them. a Shaman for example will almost always pull the guy they're targeting while spamming chain lightning, not one of the ones being chained.

Brilliant advice! Thank you! Yeah I'm still trying to get trinkets since switching from dps! So I'm kinda stuck with what I've got! :p 

It's always a warlock for me, and extremely skilled destro lock in 567ish gear, and a bit of a dps lover, he likes to top charts, even if it means snapping aggro :p

Wow your parry is crazy for your ilvl it matchs my 573 blood deathknight almost 300 less. Yeah basicly what storm said i just wanted to comment more or less on how much parry you had for your ilvl

Hi there!

I notice that you use full +320 parry inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_red.jpgFlashing Primordial Ruby gemming, thus the high parry rating.

I want to ask, not only you but the community generaly, is that a viable choice for our beloved mastery-hungry class, or you are just using it because - as you said - you feel uncomfortable with your gear?

I personally find the 160Parry/Mastery inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_orange.jpgFine Vermilion Onyx and the 160Mastery/120Stamina inv_misc_gem_x4_rare_cut_green.jpgPuissant Wild Jade Gems a better choice.

I rouglhy can say that you can gain about 50% increase in Mastery rating, and a 50k boost in your HealthPool with that gemming.

Health hardly matters once you break 800k and mastery just becomes useless at some points other then for like heroic thok is about the only case i can think of that mastery might be needed other was parry is fine and increases your dps a lot without losing hardly any survivability  

Most DK's I know or have talked to are using an avoidance build now instead of mastery because of the higher dps from riposte. damage taken by the tank is rarely a make or break issue on most fights, and the extra dps can make a positive difference in many cases.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Orb
      Banana Hammock Casual Social Raiding
      Group: Banana in Pajamas
      Progression:
      Recruiting for next tier
      Day/Hours:
      Friday & Sunday
      Pacific time: 4pm - 7pm Guild Info:
      <Banana Hammock> is now recruiting for our second raid team! This will be an evening/flex group aimed for AOTC. Raid will be Fridays & Sundays from 4pm to 7pm PST (7pm to 10pm EST). All positions are currently open and we are also searching for a permanent raid leader!

Background: Banana Hammock currently has a full raid team trying its hand at Mythic progression while keeping a fun atmosphere. We hated turning people away because of the 20-man cap so we are making a second raid team to hopefully add more bananas in our hammock! We achieved AOTC in all raid tiers this expansion so far. We also got 2/8M Uldir and 3/9M BoD. We'd love to see how this second raid team contributes to the social aspect of the guild.
      Looking for:
      1 Permanent Raid Leader
      All roles currently

Requirements: at least ilvl 395+, People with a more casual interest into raiding, and people with current logs.
      If interested in raiding or hanging out with us just message
      Battle net: Nox#1474, Anubismerc#1882, Radjehuty#1804
      Discord: nox#2686 Radjehuty#0285
      Tag Words: Pacific, Social, PST, Friday, Sunday, Sun, Fri, West Coast, Raider, Afternoon, Horde, PVE, est, East Coast, Friday, melee, ranged, dps, healer, tank

• By Valhalen
      In the Deckard Cain Meta Tier List made by @Oxygen, @MagikMurlok asked if someone could compile a list of Heroes that have strong self-sustain that can be viable in matches that features no Supports. I decided to help.
      I ended making a list of all non-Healer Heroes that have any form of self-healing. Took me around 6 hours to compile every single nook and cranny (with all the revisions and edits), so here it is! I hope this help. Any feedback is welcome.
      I've also included a suggested build for each character to use in the event that there is no Healer in the team, aimed at maximizing survivability.
      Special thanks to @ExorionAether for the help with talents and Heroes I missed, forgot or did not include originally for other reasons.
      Heroes are organized in alphabetical order. Press the "reveal hidden content" button to reveal the lists.

MELEE ASSASSINS
      RANGED ASSASSINS
      BRUISERS
      TANKS
      SUPPORTS
      TOP 10 BEST PUBSTOMPERS WITHOUT HEALER AID
      Fenix: as long his Shield doesn't drop completely, he has one of the most powerful lane presences in the game, essentially having two healthbars. And if losing his Shields he can simply retreat and let them replenish again. Just be careful with hard engages, stuns and damage-over-time (as each tick will put Shield Capacitor on cooldown). Malthael: ridiculous sustain that allows him to 1v2 or even 1v3 under the right circumstances. Make sure to hit as many opponents as possible with Basic Attacks to maximize his sustain. Dehaka: incredibly sticky and slippery, with a global presence that allows him to engage and disengage at ease. His trait combined with Adaptation makes him really hard to kill. Blaze: powerful lane presence and one of the best self-sustains in the entire game. Diablo: his recent rework made him absurdly resilient, with a self-sustain that can surpass Blaze's under the right circumstances. Sonya: still one of the strongest solo laners in the game, with reliable self-sustain, great damage overall, and strong engage potential. The Butcher: with a high risk, high reward gameplay style, he can become unkillable, but requires a really strong frontline to keep him well protected, as well at least one backline Hero that can harass enemies at long range. Medivh: with a very versatile kit, he can provide damage, mobility, vision, crowd-control and most importantly, damage immunity and healing. ANY team without a Healer greatly benefits from Medivh. Thrall: very strong on really long matches, as his most powerful quest talents require a lot of farming. At the endgame he deal eye-watering damage while healing for huge chunks of health. Illidan: with his passive healing, he is a no-brainer. He can easily harass the backline and disengage, forcing the enemy team to waste cooldowns and allow the allied team to retaliate. THE TOP 5 BEST SELF-SUSTAIN TEAM COMBINATIONS
      Stitches, Sonya, Kel'Thuzad, Kael'thas, Medivh. Garrosh, Stitches, The Butcher, Kel'Thuzad, Medivh. ETC, Blaze, Fenix, Kel'Thuzad, Medivh. Johanna, Cassia, Raynor, Fenix, Medivh. Johanna, Blaze, Sgt. Hammer, Li-Ming, Medivh.
    • By TSLNight
      Who we are:
      The Shadow Legion is an early evening raiding guild. Our goal is to try and clear the current content (Cutting Edge) as fast as we can and maintain a friendly and positive atmosphere.
      We are a group of friends who enjoy playing together no matter what the content is. Our guys come from a hardcore raiding background dating all the way to TBC days. We know we can push the hardest content if we set our minds to it.
      After a long hiatus from mythic raiding we are rebuilding our mythic roster to effectively start clearing mythic BoD and in the near future, Crucible. We currently have a very solid core group of 10-12 players who have been together for a few years now. We are looking to fill our ranks with other like minded players with a background in mythic raiding and the attitude of improving themselves and the group as a whole.
      Raiding times:
      Wednesday: 18:00 - 20:30
      Sunday: 18:00 - 20:30
      Monday 18:00 - 20:30
      All times are Server time.
      Times may be extended or an extra raid added during early progression if the group is willing to push harder.
      What we expect from our raiders:
      Attendance: We have a very chill raiding schedule totaling 6 hours a week. That is why we expect our raiders to have as close to a 100% attendance ratio as possible. We understand emergencies but if you cannot maintain close to perfect attendance then it will quickly become an issue due to time constraints.
      Proficiency: We expect our raiders to be proficient with their classes and are always trying to improve. Whether it be by working on gear or going through your logs to find ways to improve, we will try our best to help where we can.
      Communication: Headsets and a working mic are a must. You do not to be talking all the time but being able to provide information quickly during a pull is a huge benefit.
      Dedication: You need to have a positive attitude towards raiding and progressing. Understand that sometimes it takes time and effort to get some bosses down. We need players who are dedicated to achieve our common goal and maintain that competitive spark to push further where we can.
      Feel free to apply on: https://sl.enjin.com/recruitment as we do consider all applicants at all times.
      Night - Night#23645 (Guild Master)
      Blaster - Blaster#21232 (Recruitment Officer)
    • By Rainelas
      Project X (Heroic) is a one night a week Heroic team located on Sargeras, US and we are an Alliance raiding guild. We are a laid back group of friends that like to have a good time while also downing bosses each week.
      We are Currently looking for.
      * Death Knight (DPS)
      * Hunter Marksmanship, Beast Master
      * Mage any spec
      * Demon Hunter DPS
      * Warrior DPS
      * Paladin DPS
      * Priest any spec
      * Druid Feral, Balance
      * Rogue any spec
      * Shaman any spec
      * Warlock any spec
      Must be 385 to Apply.
      Raid times: Sunday - 7:30 - 10:30 CST
      Apply here: <https://bit.ly/2J2zd5N>
      CONTACT INFO!
      Bnet: viz#11820 | Discord: dead#0666
      Bnet: MAVIENAR#1710 | Discord: MAVIENAR#1710
      Bnet: Reaper#1145 | Discord: Devildog#1524

• By Nightbreed
      Hey all! <-Insert Token to Continue -> (A - Stormrage) is currently looking to expand our raid roster! We are 5/9 H with good progression on Rasta so far and our goal for each raid tier is AOTC with good progression into Mythic. Most of us have been playing WoW together for 8+ years, so expect a friendly atmosphere and a lot of banter. Our raid days/times are Saturday/Sunday from 930pm-1230am EST. If you like a laid back raiding experience but still want to see content cleared then look no further!
      ---------- CURRENTLY RECRUITING ----------
      – Tanks WITH DPS OS–
      None Currently – Healers WITH DPS OS–
      Resto Shaman – Melee DPS –
      Assassination Rogue WW Monk (With Tank OS) – Ranged DPS –
      Frost Mage Boomkin (With Resto OS) Affliction Lock BM Hunter For any applicant please provide clear logs along with any experience you have so far.
      We are ALWAYS recruiting good players, so if you don’t see your main spec here that doesn’t mean you can’t apply. These will just be high priorities for our comp.
      Please add me or any officer with any questions or if you are interested in applying.
      Recruitment Officer: Nightbreed#1694
      Guild Master: Bruce#12339