FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
calil

Frost mage giving bad times... dps problem

Wow you have the strangest raid comp I've ever seen.

Agreed o.O

On the Malk log your Invokers was much much much better but your LB is still slacking a bit.

You casted ice lance 31 times but only had 17 procs. So you flat out wasted 14 global cooldowns right there. You also lost 6 FFB procs.

Could you answers the following?

I just selected the mages.

A number to help the analysis.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FX8zTwPbMh9y1vRr#fight=22&type=casts

From all mages, I am the one with most actions. Lets say you guys think I am not "that skilled" or something like that. I do the fight strategy, I press the keys to cast LV, FB, IL, FFB FO and all spells a frost mage can cast.

1-Pet damage:

How come my pet does so less damage than the others mages, what is going on? Is lack of mastery? Too much Haste? Not using my pet's CD? Am I doing something wrong that makes my pet do not damage my target? or it can happen(RNG)?

Vacrola's water elemental did 9.6M damage

Mine did 8.36

Waterbolt 31707(spellid) http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FX8zTwPbMh9y1vRr#fight=22&type=damage-done&ability=31707

I did 102 casts, 102 hits, total damage 7.18M 56.1 hit (4.03M) and 43.9 crit (3.15M) lowest 48k, highest 108k

Kharlia's did 103 casts, 101 hits, total damage 7.97M 53.42 hit (4.26M) and 46.58 crit (3.71M) lowest 60k highest 119k

I guess the casts are ok, the hit/crit is ok but the problem is the average hit/crit damage, mine is 48/108 and khalia's is 60/120. About 15% highers numbers.

Waterbolt 131581 (spellid) http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FX8zTwPbMh9y1vRr#fight=22&type=damage-done&sourceclass=Mage&ability=131581

I did 102 casts, 32 hits, total damage 1.1M 53.85 hit (590k) and 46.15 crit (506k) lowest 25k, highest 57k

Vacrola's did 98 casts, 28 hits, total damage 1.65M 61.95 hit (1.02M) and 38.05 crit (626k) lowest 39k highest 85k

This spell is weird, it is a second same name but difference spellid, not sure what is it.

casts/hit is almost the same with all mages, all of them casting lots and fews hitting, average 30. total damage almost 50% more than me, crit/hit a bit strange to, higher crit/hit ratio for vacrola and again the damage numbers are higher here, 25/57 for me, 39/85 for vacrola, 50% highers numbers than me.

PS: Looks like this is the waterbolt cast by the water elemental while he is moving, not sure, a guess

Why my waterbolts are doing so less damage than other mages? 15% doing more in the fist waterbolt and 50% more in the second one?

2-Icicles

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FX8zTwPbMh9y1vRr#fight=22&type=damage-done&sourceclass=Mage&ability=148022

I did almost the same number of icicles hits than vacrolas and my numbers are way too low.

To the numbers

I did 104 casts, 104 hits, total damage 7.28M 100% hit (7.58k) and 0 crit (0k) lowest 70k, highest 70k

Vacrola's did 115 casts, 115 hits, total damage 11.31M 100% hit (11.31M) and 0 crit (0k) lowest 98k highest 98k

Cast/hits ok, total damage I got way low numbers, 7.28 against 11.31, we have a problem here. He has 55% more damage than me here.

Hit/crit ok and the spell damage numbers 70k for me 98k for vacrolas. 40% highers numbers than mines... another problem here

Why my icicles are not hitting for almost 100k, instead 70k? What makes it hits harder? Mastery? Haste? Spellpower? Int? Rotation?

Vacrola told me he only uses FoF procs after collecting 5 icicles.

I dont do it, I dont count icicles, what I do is only using FoF after using the BF proc, that gives my next FFB, FB or IL a 20% dmg bonus, frozen thoughts.

So when i get 1 proc, I sit on it and wait the BF proc, then I release the FFB with BF proc and next the ici lance with FoF proc.

If happens that in the duration of the FoF do not occur the BF proc then I release the IL with FoF withoug the frozen thoughts.

3-frost bolts

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/FX8zTwPbMh9y1vRr#fight=22&type=damage-done&sourceclass=Mage&ability=116

I did 57 casts, 57 hits, total damage 5.77M 67.58% hit (3.9M) and 32.42 crit (1.87M) lowest 84k, highest 169k

Tiojack's did 70 casts, 70 hits, total damage 9.16M 51.26% hit (4.7M) and 48.74 crit (4.47k) lowest 98k highest 202k

Ok, why so less FB casts? 70/57 is like 22% more FB for tiojack.

Damage done, 9.16/5.77 60% more damage for tiojack

Hit/crit he has 30% more crits than me.

spell damage hits 84/169 against 98/202 like 20% higher numbers than me.

4-Living bomb.

Last but not least

I did 13 casts, 80.71% uptime, total damage 5.76M 51 hit (4.03M) and 49 crit (3.15M) lowest 48k, highest 104k

Kharlia's did 20 casts, 96.32% uptime, total damage 8.67M 62 hit (4.26M) and 38 crit (3.71M) lowest 55k highest 128k

Clearly we can see a problem in the uptime, he has about 20% more uptime than me.

Total damage too, 8.67/5.76 50% more

He has 20% more crits than me

And the lowest/biggest tick was 48/104 for me and 55/128 for him, 20% highers numbers than mine.

Any input is welcome.

Edited by calil

I can't find Vacrola's armoury and you're naked on yours, so hard to say without looking at gear. But if 2 wellys do the same number of casts and one does more dmg then, obviously the owner of the higher one has 1. more int 2. more mastery 3. more rng with it critting 4. better int trinket rng which would mean more of his welly casts hit harder.

As for icicles, well like I said earlier you only had 80% lb uptime and you missed a large number of BF procs. This means that on average your icicles are smaller because you simply got less BF off.

Vacrola told me he only uses FoF procs after collecting 5 icicles.

Slap him.

Why did that guy get more frostbolts? hm lets see, meta procs at the right time (i.e not during a frozen orb or when you have influx of FoF procs to use), he positions better than you, or maybe he had less overall FoF/BF procs and therefore, he had to hardcast more.

Overall though it's fairly pointless to compare nitty gritty rng things when trying to just improve your play. When it comes down to getting rank 1 on a fight or rank 10, then you can look at the trinket procs or number of BF and say, yeah, that guy had sick rng. But when it comes to improving your own numbers right now, you know what to do: Better LB uptime, better reactions to BF procs, and better positioning throughout every encounter.

• Like 1

Only haste modifies cape proc rates. Extra bomb ticks do help "trigger" - but there isn't much you can do. Mostly up to RNG :P

• Like 1

Something weird is happening.

For start I was getting a base 225-245k dps self buffed in a raid dummy. Average 240k.

To clear things out and give frost a break I switched to arcane (spec, gems and reforges).

As arcane i get about 200 to 225k same conditions.

For testing purpose I switched the spec to frost and did a dps check. (just the spec, no gem/reforge chaning).

The weird thing is gemed/reforged for arcane is giving me more dps than as frost gemed/reforged for frost.

I am getting numbers like 250 265k on raid dummy.

Could you explain that to me?

Something weird is happening.

For start I was getting a base 225-245k dps self buffed in a raid dummy. Average 240k.

To clear things out and give frost a break I switched to arcane (spec, gems and reforges).

As arcane i get about 200 to 225k same conditions.

For testing purpose I switched the spec to frost and did a dps check. (just the spec, no gem/reforge chaning).

The weird thing is gemed/reforged for arcane is giving me more dps than as frost gemed/reforged for frost.

I am getting numbers like 250 265k on raid dummy.

Could you explain that to me?

Yep, read this topic's first post: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/3678-akraens-comprehensive-guide-to-54-frost-pve-advanced/

(Try to understand the graphs)

Edited by Oltier

Short answer: As Frost, if you stack mastery it will increase your single target damage, if you stack haste it will increase your multi target damage.

• Like 1

Short answer: As Frost, if you stack mastery it will increase your single target damage, if you stack haste it will increase your multi target damage.

Kt4skvo.gif

• Like 2

Guys, i would like to thank everyone who helped me here.

Looks like I got it.

I am figuring in top dps among mages and other dps classes alike.

Basically what I did was:

1-Added the affdots/affdots mage addon to help me snapshot.

2-Reworked all tellmewhen/weakaura configuration to condensate everything I need to know in a simple, grouped very visible icon/bars/sounds warnings.

3-Increased my buff/debuff uptimes, better usage of my raid cooldowns and a better understanding what my class must do in every fight using the right talents every fight.

Can't express here how thankful I am.

• Like 1