FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gonlaz

SOO H - which spec, which fights?

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Gunwyvar/advanced

Good day, I have received lots of help with my alts on here and wanted to come ask about this because it's been bothering me. I'm 8/14H currently.

Sometimes I switch to combat for Spoils and I always end o up doing more dps on assassination. Galakras I do see a noticeable difference in favor of Combat. Protectors they seem to be equal for me. Now one reason for that is my off set is only like 550.

Anyways I'm not really disappointed with my overall performance but I do notice lots of combat rogues out there.

Is there a suggestion on specs per fight or is it really what the player wants to play?

There are some fights where spec makes a big difference, and some where it's dealer's choice. Here's what I would choose personally:

Immerseus - Whatever you're best at (I like Subtlety for the short cooldowns)

Fallen Protectors - Combat (but watch your AoE on phase transitions)

Norushen - Whatever you're best at (I like Subtlety for the burst on adds)

Sha of Pride - Whatever you're best at

Galakras - Combat

Iron Juggernaut - Whatever you're best at

Dark Shamans - Combat if you keep the bosses together, whatever you're best at otherwise

Nazgrim - Whatever you're best at

Malkorok - Whatever you're best at

Spoils - Combat if you can get good clumps of adds for cleave, if not then whatever you're best at

Thok - Whatever you're best at

Siegecrafter - Combat

Paragons - Combat

Garrosh - Combat

The way Combat is right now you can pretty much get away with playing it for the entire instance. I like Subtlety better for single target fights, but I know a lot of people can't play the spec effectively. Assassination does comparable single target damage to the other two specs at lower gear levels, but is outmatched by even Combat once Normal/Heroic Assurance of Consequence and the 4pc bonus are introduced.

The short story is that Combat will be your best bet on cleave fights. Beyond that, the best spec is the one that you can play the best. If you look at world DPS rankings per fight you'll see nothing but Combat spec, but that's due to scaling at the very highest gear levels.

There is, no doubt, an optimum spec for each boss. There are some cleave fights, some single-target, some that require sustained damage, some that require on-demand burst... each of the three specs, played with skill, could be used to maximise DPS on certain fights. Arguably, combat and sub would be better than assassination for SoO, and even then, as Krush says, combat is very often the go-to spec now.

I play assassination. I do have HC WF Assurance, and I've had a few one-handed non-daggers, so I've tried combat, but I don't feel as comfortable with it, and there's no pressure from my raid leader for me to switch. My DPS has never been an issue.

We also have a few classes in the team who can deal far more AoE/cleave than I could, even in combat, so I focus on single-target most of the time anyway. And also trying not to die.

I'm currently 10/14 HC so it's viable, but I'm very rarely, if ever, top DPS.

One problem I was aware of, when trying combat, was just lacking the confidence and ease with which I play assassination. I was concerned more with hitting the right buttons, making sure it was safe to use Blade Flurry/Killing Spree. With more time and practice, it would be less of an issue, but I was already into HC progression by the time I switched, so I was very used to assassination and the boss mechanics.

For Normal Spoils, there are a lot more boxes being opened, so combat's cleave is very strong. For Heroic, boxes are opened at a slower rate, so it's not quite as effective.

For Galakras, combat has the added benefit of being able to switch from cleave for phase 1 to single-target for phase 2.

I think, ultimately, if you're not pushing for bleeding-edge progression, and your raid leader isn't telling you otherwise, go with what you're most comfortable with, or what you enjoy playing.

When I was playing my rogue, I relied heavily on Subtlety as my go to spec, even for some cleave fights, because the cleave component doesn't matter as much unless you're looking at meters, not good execution.

Immerseus - Sub for EW every time he pops up.

Fallen Protectors - Combat, for that cleavey goodness.

Norushen - Sub.  I dislike Combat, because you have to hold your Killing Spree during Blind Hatred (beam of death.) 

Sha of Pride - Sub.  So many other classes will be using the Reflections to pad, and Sub is my go-to ST spec.

Galakras - Sub.  Typically, I was tossed up in the towers, or running with groups that wouldn't require my extra cleave.  The extra burst can make Galak himself die quickly.

Iron Juggernaut - Whatever you're best at.  If you're doing it as Sub, your SD will come off cooldown right before the first knockback.  Don't be tempted!  If you're combat, using KS is an easy way to stay on he boss for knockbacks.  No matter the spec, you can Shadow Step --> Cloak --> Shadow Step.

Dark Shamans - Combat, even just for the opener.  It's a large damage portion.

Nazgrim - Sub becomes very valuable, with Shadow Dance Cheap Shots on adds if you need it.

Malkorok - Whatever you're best at.  If you're Combat, and you're doing melee puddles, you may have to hold KS, though.

Spoils - Combat for the cleavey goodness.

Thok - Sub.  Single target = yays.  Combat may be more valuable for bats, if they're staying alive too long.

Siegecrafter - Sub.  If you're on the belt, you can Shadow Dance every single weapon.  I used to solo every other belt on Normal, and can easily do 60-70% of a weapon on Heroic.

Paragons - Sub.  AoE doesn't matter, unless you're playing Padagons.

Garrosh - Sub.  If you're on Engineer duty, you can SD or Vanish/Ambush each one and make quick work of them.  After P1, single target matters more anyway.  If you're having issues with transition 1 on Heroic, Combat may be valuable just because of that.

Edited by Hybrys

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate it. I do usually go Combat on Galakras but other than that I prefer Assassination. However if I can boost my off set I may go Combat on more fights - spoils, protectors. But yeah I am never top dps either. The other rogue in our group is usually higher than I, he has a bitchin combat set too though and he uses the 4 piece, plus he goes first on nuroshen.

Edited by gonlaz

Norushen - Sub.  I dislike Combat, because you have to hold your Killing Spree during Blind Hatred (beam of death.) 

Sha of Pride - Sub.  So many other classes will be using the Reflections to pad, and Sub is my go-to ST spec.

Galakras - Sub.  Typically, I was tossed up in the towers, or running with groups that wouldn't require my extra cleave.  The extra burst can make Galak himself die quickly.

Hi.

OO (10H).

Norushen - Combat viable, cause rogue can use KS durind CoS (as always). Also with glyph of Killing Spree.

Sha - also viable, just go with glyph of Killing Spree.

Galakras - depend on your role in raid. I play with adds (cleave) and on tower go another players, so sub is useless here.

With high lvl (575+) i really need to respec into sub only when i need to solo belt on Blackfuse 10 Heroic, cause combat there will be pray for proc (trinkets, enchants, etc) (and we don't have good hunter, damn ;).

Glyph of Killing Spree is highly wanted for combat rogues on bosses (H):

1. Immerseus

3. Norushen

4. Sha of Pride

6. Iron Juggernaut

11. Thok the Bloodthirsty