FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Schtick

Twist of Fate

Quick question regarding the new Holy Priest talent "Twist of Fate".

Will all of our healing/dmg abilities proc this regardless of when the ability is cast.

In particular, the following scenario.

1. Cast renew on a target with greater than 20% health.

2. Target falls below 20% health while still under the effects of renew

3. Renew ticks on the target

4. ?Profit from ToF?

Also curious about this mechanic for similar situations. Where abilities are used prior to target falling below 20%, and produce some effect after, such as Serenity, PoM, Cascade, Halo, DS, etc.

19% hp is quite rare to see on a group or raid. Probably the tank may sometimes suffer a special blow but even then it will work for 1 heal only. Same for pvp.

Edited by Rhey

I can't answer your question, Schtick, but in response to Rhey's comment, once you affect somebody that is under 20% hp, you gain the buff for 10 seconds. This means it will help for much more than just one heal. I am really curious about the ticking portion of this too, because that means for ~20% of a fight, you could drop a DoT on/be auto attacking the enemy during globals from instants and have +15% effectiveness for the rest of the encounter (as a healer).

I've been playing with this talent all day and found that it does proc off of HoTs/DoTs and isn't consumed by the next cast.

Honestly though I don't recommend taking it as Holy as Divine Insight and Power Infusion are much better choices. I'm sure this will change as we get into MoP and start on level 90 content, but as of right now keeping people above 80% is extremely easy. Most people won't drop down to 20% HP if they try.

@Rhey,

as mit pointed out the effect lasts 10 seconds, not for one heal.

@Rhey and Sacred

While in current content (that we could probably heal in shadow spec) we rarely see raid members below 20% hp, this is not the case for most progression content. WoW has a history of mechanics that bring one (usually the tank) or more members below 20% by design, and hairy situations where multiple members may be within a breath of dropping. This is the time where our throughput is most important, and could benefit bigtime from a talent such as this.

@Mit.

You hit the nail on the head figuring out the purpose of my question. There are a great deal of encounters which get increasingly difficult as the boss approaches <20%, not even taking into consideration that you may lose one or more healers at some point in a progression encounter. While the other talents in this tier are very powerful, a blanket 15% throughput increase for the last 20% of a fight (usually a minute or more) simply can't be overlooked, and would certainly outshine a talent like (@mork) PI (20% throughput for 20 seconds) in many situations.