FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Volantis

Need help with the Avoidance Build for my Blood dk

Time has finally come and now I will go for the parry build to increase my dps as a blood dk. However I could not properly figure out the gemming, enchanting and reforging. I normally use ask mr.robot but its avoidance build suggestion does not seem to be working properly. So I need some advice on these, any help will be appreciated.

Here is my armory link:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Volantis/simple

Trinkets I have: normal skeers trinket , heroic Vial of Living Corruption, heroic rooks unlucky talisman and heroic juggernaut's focusing crystal, normal Curse of Hubris

Thx.

Hello 

I personally use Defenders for Blue Stalwarts for Yellow and Straight parry for Reds 

For enchants just look at my Armory http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/proudmoore/Drtain/advanced Also for the trinkets On low damage Focusing crystal and Skeers med damage Focusing crystal and Vial of the Living For high  Vial and Rooks

depending on how comfortable u are with your class u may wanan even use skeers and crystal or skeers and Vial in med and maybe even high damage fights also depends on your healers

Edited by Drtain
  • Like 2

Reforge everything you can into Parry first, then Dodge if it already has parry. if a piece has Parry and Dodge don't reforge anything. I wouldn't worry too much about balancing your dodge and parry for diminishing returns, it'll be close enough. You should be able to come out with about 12-15% dodge and 40-45% parry when you're done.

Drtain is spot on about gems and trinkets. The only thing I may possibly consider changing is using Parry+hit gems in blue sockets. If it will allow you to reforge more hit into parry on your gear will still staying hit capped. If you're way over hit cap anyways use parry+stam.

While the Focusing Crystal looks nice and the pure mitigation is definitely a boon to the build, it's worthwhile to note that there is next to no value in the Lifesteal it offers.  3% is a tiny amount, and even if you were doing 300k DPS it only equates to ~9k HPS.

I'd probably run Skeer's + Vial for the majority of fights.

• Like 1

9k hps is actually a considerable amount of healing when the avoidance build is typically only doing 40-60k hps in the first place.

It's a small trickle of healing though. If the boss smashes you in the face it isn't going to provide enough healing to save you before the next swing, but overall I still like it. It isn't the best at anything, but it gives you a little bit of everything.

• Like 3

Thx a lot for the responses. One last question : Should I be using dps enchants or stick with the tanking ones? Would dps enchantments make a lot of difference in terms of dps ?

And what other trinkets i can use together with the awesome vial trinket? I assume thok's amplfying trinket would go best with it, unluckily i never seen it dropped:( 

Edited by Volantis

Thx a lot for the responses. One last question : Should I be using dps enchants or stick with the tanking ones? Would dps enchantments make a lot of difference in terms of dps ?

That's going to end up relying on how you feel with less stamina and if you're comfortable taking the hits.

The two big changes I'd make are Strength on Bracers instead of Mastery, and 80 Stats on Chest instead of Stamina.

I'd probably use Vial > Thok's > Skeer's > Hubris > Rooks > Juggernaut's for damage.  Swapping in Rook's if you can use it on an AoE mechanic or need the extra HP.

Edit: Storm makes a good point re: Dodge on Bracers.  I forgot that even existed, and it may be the better option.

Edited by Hybrys
  • Like 1

Either way can work. at times I've done str enchants for gloves, bracers, legs and shoulders. It provides a little bit more parry, but not the kind that contributes to riposte. I didn't really see a huge dps boost from it, but it was fun just to tell people I had almost 50% parry buffed.

couple enchants I would definitely use no matter what are

- Pandaren step on boots

- Dodge on bracers is pretty much the best for the avoidance build because of the crit it gives you. dodge and parry are both almost 1:1 with Str for tank dps because of riposte.

- Fallen Crusader on your weapon. situationally stonestin gargoyle or swordshatter may be slightly better for survivability, but Fallen Crusader is the most versatile of all the runes. it gives you dps, avoidance, and healing.

Other than that you're pretty much free to choose between Stam, Mastery, Crit, or Str on all your other pieces. there isn't really a right answer. if you feel like you could use some more hp go for stam, if you want to see how far you can push your tank dps load up on crit and str everywhere you can.

• Like 2

It's hard to give any tips, just because the fight varies so heavily depending on different strats.

The big thing for tanks is debuff stack management, CD management, and killing your shredder.  Remember to rely on your cloak proc, and that your AMS can be huge with good Vengeance.  Also note that the shredder takes a LOT more damage for the 5 seconds after Death From Above, so get out of that swirly and get right back in ASAP.

I haven't tanked heroic seige on 10m, so I don't know how much the vengeance would make a difference with stacks. In early progression most guilds were trying to do a high stack method for both 10m and 25m so the tanks could kill shredders faster, but I don't know of any guilds that are still doing it that way recently. I've definitely never had an issue killing a shredder fast enough with 3 stacks to taunt the boss back in time, but the faster you can kill the shredder the less it's going to aoe the raid, so use AMS on the third stack every time so you have full RP, then dancing rune weapon any time you can, and tank him on top of a saw blade. Like Hybrys pointed out, he takes like 3x increased damage after death from above. Your goal should always be to kill him in that 4-5 seconds after death from above.

Other than that assuming you're using a right side strat, the only other thing you have to worry about is moving the boss around to the crawler mine spawn points so people can still cleave the boss while killing mines. You can also help out a lot with mines if you take chillblains with rolling blood so you can basically blood boil the boss and aoe slow all the adds. and also gorefiend's grasp whenever you can to keep the mines grouped up. the better you can keep the mines slowed and grouped up on top of the boss the faster they'll die.

• Like 2

I haven't tanked heroic seige on 10m, so I don't know how much the vengeance would make a difference with stacks. In early progression most guilds were trying to do a high stack method for both 10m and 25m so the tanks could kill shredders faster, but I don't know of any guilds that are still doing it that way recently. I've definitely never had an issue killing a shredder fast enough with 3 stacks to taunt the boss back in time, but the faster you can kill the shredder the less it's going to aoe the raid, so use AMS on the third stack every time so you have full RP, then dancing rune weapon any time you can, and tank him on top of a saw blade. Like Hybrys pointed out, he takes like 3x increased damage after death from above. Your goal should always be to kill him in that 4-5 seconds after death from above.

High stack is still entirely viable, and Pally or DK are the best classes to do it.  The reason for that is because Purgatory / Ardent Defender combined w/ the Cloak proc makes you almost unkillable, as long as taunts are timed well.  The issue with it is that it puts an extremely high responsibility on the tanks, and the flexible timing of his shocks.  Where you might be able to survive an extra Overload, you won't survive a tank death, because their stacks die with them.

On heroic, you probably won't be able to kill him after his first Death from Above, but you should definitely be throwing out the majority of your damage there.  You're aiming for 4 or fewer Overloads.

I never had too much trouble killing the shredder shortly after death from above with 3 stacks even on heroic as long as he was on top of a saw blade. but that could just be the difference between 25m vengeance and 10m vengeance.