FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Drkdragon

Looking for DPS advice/criticism

UI: http://imgur.com/QOLEq3p (I have fixed the overlay for target and boss frame just fyi :))

I am trying to stick to the DPS rotation supplied by Icy-Veins

I don't feel that I am doing just awful but I do feel like I could be doing more. A couple guild mates say that my numbers will improve when I get my Meta and cloak (currently collecting Secrets) but I don't want to blame gear for everything.

I am a boosted warlock so I don't have a lot of experience but if anyone could take a minute to see if anything is extremely obvious that I am doing wrong I would really appreciate it.

Thank you for any help you guys can provide.

-Drk

Good lord those frames are massive. This is a playstyle thing, but you might want to try down sizing those and seeing if they still work for you. The more you see, the more you dodge.

I started looking at your logs to see buffs and such. And I saw Extravagant Visions. And I thought to myself "What the fuck is that?"

NEVER EQUIP FRENZIED CRYSTAL OF RAGE. NEVER. NEVER.

tumblr_inline_mgsj0uluUY1ql2udi.gif

Super bad trinket. You have PBI and KTT, stick to them.

You need to be casting CB with procs of trinkets, on Sha of Pride your casting with buffs was super bad. Although there are a lot of times that perfect up time on Immolate is okay, reg Sha of Pride isn't one of them. 85% uptime needs to come up.

Iron Jug Immolate was much better, but it looks like you were allergic to casting CB with buffs. See this Link and you can see what I'm talking about.

Don't sweat bad DPS to much right now, meta and cloak make a HUGE amount of DPS. Work the basics, get the tools right, gear will come.

• Like 1

First off: Thank you so much for those seach filters in Warcraft Logs. Those will really come in handy! Second I am curious how you got to that log? The one I linked should be for our Garrosh attempts last night.....If this is not the one you are getting please let me know so I can try and fix it.

The UI screenshot is kind of old I no longer have the Crystal of Rage. Since I was a boosted toon it took me a few runs to get decent trinkets.

EDIT: Using that filter you showed me this was the last attempt we had last night. Still not great I see but a little better. Do you know if it is possible to overlay Shadowburn on this same graph?

Edited by Drkdragon

He clicked your guild name and found the rest of your logs.  You only linked Garrosh which can be confusing to analyze with all the shit going on.  He went to a more reliable, easily identifiable boss to analyze your DPS.

• Like 1

If it is not too much of a pain could you check some other fights? I am pretty sure I remember having horrid RNG with Procs happening as I was getting knocked back. Which is me needing to watch DBM more and making sure I get the CB off before the punt. Totally guilty of that lol.

Might want to switch to keen gems instead of artful.

So you can reforge that hit to something more useful

Might want to switch to keen gems instead of artful.

So you can reforge that hit to something more useful

I was using Keen gems. One of my guild mates used to play a lock and said that he got better numbers using artful. So I changed my gems last night to see if would make any difference in our run tonight.

The difference between Keen and Artful is very minor.  Just pick a gemming strategy and stick with it.

Any dps difference you notice won't be from changing those gems, it will be from better play.

The only time those would actually make a noticeable difference are:

1) Under hit cap and need keen to hit it.

2) Way over hit cap and cannot reforge down to it.  Definitely do not want expertise then.

• Like 1

You ain't gonna see much difference between gem strategies.  Saying you got better numbers by switching from one Mastery gem to another is just blasphemy.

It's just a little gold to try it though. I have no problem trying anything if its a honest suggestion. I want to be better.

I fully understand.  I have been there myself.  :)

For myself, it was a pretty big awakening to come to the realization that at least for me, it was not just the gold and time I spent on gemming/reforging on those types of things, but also the mindspace it took up.  Letting go of that let me start really working on things I could do to improve (and believe me, I still need to work on that more myself).

So, what have I been doing lately?

Looking at my logs.  You're doing that, a great place to start.  :D

More recently, I have also been looking at logs of some top rated warlocks.  I don't compare my numbers to theirs, since that would be silly considering the skill gap and gear gap, but what I *do* look at is their patterns.  What is their top damaging spells on that fight?  How many casts?  That sort of thing.

Also, I have started recording my fights.  This is for self analysis.  There are times during a fight, especially a progression fight like Heroic Siegecrafter that I am currently working on where I go "Wow, that was dumb."   But, watching the videos, helps me catch more of those, and I can also see things like what led up to that situation, and how to at least start thinking about correcting it in the future.

• Like 1

Any suggestions on video capturing tools? I have not messed around with recording anything in so long that I am not sure what is out there anymore. I can look into it more later too.

Thank you Liquid! That worked pretty well. I just need to get in the habit of turning it on and off for each fight lol.

You can just let it record the whole raid to be honest.

Can be a bit of a faff processing but at least you wont miss anything.

Just need to load it into vegas or windows movie maker and trim it down and render.

Edited by Liquidsteel