FORUMS
Starym

The Gamebreaker Rextroy Interview: The Beginnings, the Absence, PvE Vs. PvP and the Crazyiest Undertakings

dfJCGjn.jpg

It's been a while since I talked to Rextroy, the most creative of creative users of game mechanics, and as he's been away for most of Shadowlands, only recently returning (with two bangs), it seemed like a great time to have another interview after our last "Exploit Vs. Clever Use" one!

We went on an in-depth tour of his WoW career in an interview over on Raider.IO, moving through his beginnings and inspirations, the ban and it's impact, his pick of PvE or PvP, his full process of taking on a solo boss, some issues he has with Shadowlands tanks, his favorite videos and a LOT more. Here's a few snippets, but be sure to check out the full interview over at Raider.IO, as it's a pretty great one if I do say so myself!

Q: You did a lot of PvE solos and PvP tricks during and especially around the end of Battle for Azeroth, and continued shortly into Shadowlands (including the very first M+0 solo in Theater of Pain). But then you very suddenly dropped off the map. What happened there?

Rextroy: My original plan for Shadowlands was to finally take a short break when it released to enjoy the new expansion with my friends and not constantly have my mind set to look for bugs.
However, I noticed that I didn’t really enjoy the game for what it was because of a few different reasons. I realised how much my enjoyment of the game comes from finding bugs and making cool videos from them.

After finally starting the break I kinda lost the motivation for videos. I guess you can call it being burned out and having a hard time getting back to working on them. When I did my Warrior Whirlwind one-shot video and my Demon Hunter Hunt video, it felt a bit like I forced myself to finish them instead of enjoying it. Usually, once I get the footage I need, I finish a video in a day, but with my Warrior video, I procrastinated on making it for about a week. I still have footage of early Shadowlands, reaching 2.9k MMR as Prot/Unholy/Ret that I wanted to finish, but it feels like it is a bit outdated now…

Q: Your most recent two solos were very “clean”, no even exploit-adjacent stuff to be seen. Which approach do you prefer when it comes to solos, the crazy detail/interaction you notice that makes it all work or the more “basic” and “clean” ones?

Rextroy: I do enjoy both for different reasons. I enjoy the clean ones because it was such an accomplishment kiting for hours and finally downing them. However, I am more intrigued by the “exploity” ones, since they are harder to discover and I have to test or play around with the bosses a lot more. I really get to learn the mechanics of the boss fully (and even the layout of the entire area and how the bosses are built).

Q: What are some of your favorite/most crazy things you’ve pulled off?

Rextroy: It’s a long list, but I can try to mention at least some of my favorites in PvP and soloing.

In this video, we pushed PvP scaling to the max with a low level character. Mages were bugged and had their Frostbolt and Flurry damage increased by like 8000% when they were low level. We combined this with some Azerite boosts and trinkets, to increase the low levels stats by A LOT (high level trinkets would still give the low level character same stats as if it were given to a 120 character, and since they are low level they gain a massive % increase from those stats).

Then we also have the level 36 killing level 60s in Classic. This was hilarious to do and I also got some really good footage for it. It really shows that in Classic, level is not everything.

The Chaos Bolt AOE one shot is one of my favorites, since it looks and feels really insane. It took a LONG time to grind the amount of Corruption I needed. There was also quite a bit of theorycrafting on how to perform the one shot

I really enjoyed the Sk’shuul Vaz one shot, since it took a lot of different things to make it work. It also worked really well without too much preparation and was one of my first retail one shot videos!

As for soloing:

My Antoran High Command is the video that is least known of my cooler ones (perhaps I had a bad title). It was done quite late into Legion, when I found a way to bug up the transport unit so you could actually move inside them. You were immune to all damage and only Blessed Hammer was usable. I used the Lightforged Warframe to solo a current tier boss, but I had to keep moving for 3 hours. If I stood still I would get sent back to the destination of the warframe… This is one of my favorites because of the editing and how ridiculous the whole solo was.

The Drest’agath one shot is one of my favorite raid boss one shots. It took A LOT of tries to get the timing down, I had to do whatever I could to reduce the time on the loading screen (otherwise buffs would expire). I gotta thank my friends that had the patience to keep summoning me once every few hours.

Renferal is a boss that was painful to do, I had to maximize my Last Defender and I spent days attempting it. The issue was that some of the spiders gave the boss a damage boost. I had to keep killing them off but they were gathered among all the other NPCs of exactly the same name, so I had to target the right ones before I got overwhelmed by the bad type and died. I needed all the other “good” spiders to boost my Last Defender, since it increased my dmg reduction for each nearby unit. That’s the reason I couldn’t just kill everything.

Shriekwing also deserves a spot on the list. It was a real insane solo, since I needed constant focus for hours and a tiny misstep could make me wipe… Fun to manage that one!

There's a lot more in the full interview, so make sure to read it over on Raider.IO.

• Like 1