FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Lunatia

In-Depth Questions on Combat Rogue [Gear]

Hello all,

im Lunatia, a Combat Rogue who started playing in early December 2013. That means I am far from being a seasoned player and I most likely don't know half of the things one of the veterans in here should know.

Although I am quite confident about my rotations and my skill usage as well as my current gemming/enchanting/reforging I still have a few questions concerning the results showing up in Shadowcraft and the gemming/reforging routes given by many guides (e.g. the guide provided on here).

A link to my current gear is here: http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/frostmane/Lunatia/advanced

Now my questions:

I read a lot on the usage of AR/SB and how it caps out your energy, since I can't spend as much energy as I am regenerating. This obviously comes from the additional regeneration from AR as well as the bonus combopoints from SB resulting in many Eviscerates who then result in getting the 25 energy back.

Long story short. While having Hero and/or AR/SB up, im capping out on energy.

My question is: Does Shadowcraft and other Simulators take into account that you cannot spend all your energy, or do they calculate your dps based on the energy you are creating in a set period of time taking into account every energy regeneration buff and every successful creation from your mastery?

Does the bonus attackspeed from Haste really outweigh the bonus damage you are getting from Agility? Because right now I am thinking about going pure Agi Gems instead of the Hybrid Agi/Haste Gems. Do people have any insights to share about that?

I am rather frustrated to have my energy go to waste, but if people tell me that the bonus attackspeed still outweighs the benefits from other stats like Agi or Mastery I will not switch out my gems/reforges.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me.

Best regards

Lunatia

It's not just about the bonus attack speed, it's also about the bonus energy regen outside of AR/Hero.  Energy regen is so important to Combat because of Restless Blades, which means that energy regen effectively and directly increases your AR/SB/KS uptimes.

Capping energy sometimes feels awful, and I can understand trying to fix it.  But, Shadowcraft/Simcraft do take these things into account when looking at stat weights (if you use Simcraft, you'll clearly see a 'Resource Regen Over' section.)

That being said, your comfortability in your own rotation is what's most important, and using a build that you don't like can lead to larger flaws in play.  I'd stick with Agi/Haste gems, but your mileage may vary, and less Haste/more Agi may benefit you in the long run.

Haste buffs and energy regen are so out of control right now that energy capping will happen a lot. As Hybrys said, the pros of huge energy regen while unbuffed outweigh the con's of over stacking on haste during a major buff like Heroism or Adrenaline Rush.

We can only hope energy regen becomes more reasonable in WoD.

Thank you for your replies, guys. 

I calculated a difference of 1k dps if I go for red gems and for taking the reforge out of my Detonator.

Won't be any difference most likely, but maybe it's gonna be a psychological advantage.

I really hope that they are fixing that energy overload in the WoD patch :)

Thanks again! :)

Best regards

Lunatia