FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Azrogol

Max FPS?

I just had a quick question; What's the max FPS WoW can run at, if there is a max? I'd seen some numbers thrown around, but then I'd seen people talking about their client running at 120 fps? Is that possible, or just a glitch?

There is no FPS limiting in WoW, but the FPS you actually see if limited by your monitors refresh rate.

WoW can be used with VSync to try to maintain 60 FPS (Which is related to the standard monitor's 60hz refresh rate.)

WoW can also be used in 30/30 FPS 3D, and 60/60 FPS 3D modes, which can be enabled with certain 3D monitors and video cards, if they're compatible.

WoW can be used without FPS limiting, which allows players with 120hz monitors to get WoW to correspond.  Players with 120hz monitors can sometimes also use VSync to try to maintain 120 FPS.

I've seen mine spike as high as 220 FPS.

What's VSync? And that makes sense; I'd been holding off on buying a monitor and using my smaller TV as a monitor, but as it only has a 60Hz refresh rate, I'd need to bump up to a 120hz tv.

VSync is a software-level measure to try to limit your FPS to your monitors refresh rate, in order to save wasted CPU/GPU power.  Some people don't like it, because it can introduce a tiny input lag (sub 10ms), and can cause other issues such as tearing and artifacting if it's poorly implemented or just doesn't line up correctly.

Does the CPU/GPU generally waste a lot of energy trying to push for fps greater than the refresh rate of the monitor? Is it worth using?

Does the CPU/GPU generally waste a lot of energy trying to push for fps greater than the refresh rate of the monitor? Is it worth using?

It really depends on your setup so heavily, it's crazy.  Even then, the energy savings are most likely negligable, coming down to cents per year.

WoW itself is really good at limiting what it uses so that it doesn't bottleneck on any one piece of hardware, and I'd be pretty confident in saying that VSync in WoW should only be used if you're having issues, or if you're running a 120hz monitor.

Perfect, just what I needed! One last question: Seeing as it's double the fps, is it a huge gain to jumo to a 120hz monitor? Or is 60 fps enough?

Perfect, just what I needed! One last question: Seeing as it's double the fps, is it a huge gain to jumo to a 120hz monitor? Or is 60 fps enough?

I wouldn't really call it a gain.  It looks really weird, and at first you might not like it.  You'll also need exponentially better hardware to maintain 120 FPS in your games.

Would a GTX 780/4770k be enough? i wanted to get as good as possible framerate without SLI/Crossfire since i'm not using 2 monitors.

Wow is notoriously poorly programmed when it comes to utilizing high end hardware to get high FPS with ultra settings, but really you shouldn't even worry about it. As long as you can stand in the middle of the veil with 100 people around and still get like 40fps+ then you will never have noticeable lag in any situation no matter what.

100fps+ is just for bragging rights, the human eye can barely register a visual glitch at 100fps+, let alone conceptualize lag.

You should, however, get a second monitor. playing wow in windowed-fullscreen mode on your left monitor, and having vent/mumble, chrome, etc. all open on your right monitor will change your life.

You should, however, get a second monitor. playing wow in windowed-fullscreen mode on your left monitor, and having vent/mumble, chrome, etc. all open on your right monitor will change your life.

Too bad I can't do this with a laptop..........

Too bad I can't do this with a laptop..........

Of course you can!  I'm doing it right now at work!  VGA, HDMI, DVI.  Whatever out to whatever in.

You can even look into a cheap USB video card for a second output.

Of course you can!  I'm doing it right now at work!  VGA, HDMI, DVI.  Whatever out to whatever in.

You can even look into a cheap USB video card for a second output.

Didn't think about that, that would work pretty well....... Unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor.

Didn't think about that, that would work pretty well....... Unfortunately I don't have a spare monitor.

one of these things would work

http://www.amazon.com/MIMO-UM-710S-Powered-Swivel-Display/dp/B002RMPASG/ref=sr_1_6?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1400773490&sr=1-6&keywords=usb+monitor

ive never actually gotten one, but if i had a small screen id consider it.

vent still looks like it was programmed in 1995 so it would be fitting.

Mumble ftw. The audio is so much more clear. I refuse to chat in vent.