FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
positiv2

Arcane Mage DPS Guide (TBC Classic)

Guest Hey, quick question.

Hey guys, saw the 4-way-talk preparing for TBC where Wrdlprmpft was present, liked it very much. Thanks for the guide and your hard work with writing and formatting it.

Now to my two questions:

Which ratio 'Arcane Blast damage to Frost Bolt damage' on a raid fight should we reach before we go into the new flask and no longer use the old +sp flask which buffs both damage types?

I cannot really believe that BiS-lists do suggest the Spellstrike Trousers as stand-alone nice loot, but then skip on the Spellstrike Hood in favor of the T4 hood while still wearing the trouser. In this scenario, isn't the head which would enable the bonus which should be around 25 spelldamage a much better choice, EVEN THOUGH it is weaker in a 1:1 comparison with the T4 head?

Thanks for your time, I'm looking forward to your answers should you choose to give them. Keep up the good work, see you around!

On 6/14/2021 at 7:40 PM, Guest Hey, quick question. said:

Hey guys, saw the 4-way-talk preparing for TBC where Wrdlprmpft was present, liked it very much. Thanks for the guide and your hard work with writing and formatting it.

Now to my two questions:

Which ratio 'Arcane Blast damage to Frost Bolt damage' on a raid fight should we reach before we go into the new flask and no longer use the old +sp flask which buffs both damage types?

I cannot really believe that BiS-lists do suggest the Spellstrike Trousers as stand-alone nice loot, but then skip on the Spellstrike Hood in favor of the T4 hood while still wearing the trouser. In this scenario, isn't the head which would enable the bonus which should be around 25 spelldamage a much better choice, EVEN THOUGH it is weaker in a 1:1 comparison with the T4 head?

Thanks for your time, I'm looking forward to your answers should you choose to give them. Keep up the good work, see you around!

Hi,

thank you for the warm words 🙂. I am trying to answer your questions now.

Answer to question one:
To be honest, I cannot answer this question off the bat. I suggest you use my spreadsheet https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VE-4XISpxa0GPHHzm_6ZV15jXFLJ-Bj61AFoG0f-lok/edit#gid=153599702 or the Osthyvel mage simulation https://cheesehyvel.github.io/magesim-tbc2/ to find an answer to this question. The sim is more up to date than my sheet.

Answer to question two:

The spellstrike trousers were from a time when I did not expect the spell hit gems, which originally came with the Black Temple patch, to be in game. I pushed an update for all specs' BiS lists today. The Chaotic Skyfire diamond is a good chunk better than the spellstrike set bonus, there is nothing more to say about that. For now, please be patient and wait until the BiS list update is live or get a sneak preview at the gear set here: https://seventyupgrades.com/set/mzd9nv9eLWFHobxW18MV2V

I really hope I could answer your questions to a satisfying degree and if you have further, don't hesitate to seek out Mage Discord or post here again.

Guest ArcaneMage69

Hi, has anyone made a custom scale for Pawn based on the stat priorities listed here? The defaults are giving me bad advice I think

On 7/22/2021 at 6:49 PM, Guest ArcaneMage69 said:

Hi, has anyone made a custom scale for Pawn based on the stat priorities listed here? The defaults are giving me bad advice I think

Hi Guest,

it is very hard to make accurate stat weights for Arcane Mages, but https://www.icy-veins.com/tbc-classic/arcane-mage-dps-pve-stat-priority should give you a rough baseline that is correct most of the time.

I hope I could help you!

Guest glubberer

Hey.

Just a quick question / observation:

For my gear level, which is close to BiS in MH/BT with like four missing slots, Quagmirran's Eye sims higher than the Sextant and is exactly, to the dps, as good as the Skull of Gul'Dan.

So if every 'ranking' in the trinkets page is the simmed ranking of the trinket, shouldn't there be an honorable mention of Quagmirran's Eye as, at least according to the mage sim used here, the Eye sims as good if not better than most of the trinkets mentioned there when going along an on-use trinket.

Great work on the guide as always, see you around.

21 hours ago, Guest glubberer said:

Hey.

Just a quick question / observation:

For my gear level, which is close to BiS in MH/BT with like four missing slots, Quagmirran's Eye sims higher than the Sextant and is exactly, to the dps, as good as the Skull of Gul'Dan.

So if every 'ranking' in the trinkets page is the simmed ranking of the trinket, shouldn't there be an honorable mention of Quagmirran's Eye as, at least according to the mage sim used here, the Eye sims as good if not better than most of the trinkets mentioned there when going along an on-use trinket.

Great work on the guide as always, see you around.

Hey,

that sounds interesting. Maybe you could share your sim config so I can take a look at it and tell you what is different. For me Quagg's always simmed around 30 dps worse than sextant.

Thank you and see you around 🙂

Guest Random

pls take water elemental from last explanations in frost tree explanation, thank you!🥰