FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eliadann

Mage bombs - optimization

Hi all,

I read here and there that a significant part of mage DPS comes off the bombs, but all the related guides and topics I´ve found are focused on which bomb to use, depending on the situation / boss / level of difficulty.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to use bombs on complex encounters with several bosses, OR several adds with a large health pool.

I do think the most clear example would be the Fallen Protectors encounter. Whereas there is some discussion on this to go with LB or NT, what I wonder is:

1) should I keep my bomb up on a single boss throughout the fight OR should I keep my bomb up and running on all three bosses

2) On Rook adds: as soon as they spawn, I am placing my bomb on all three consecutively (last being Sorrow) and start single DPSing Sorrow. Is this approach correct DPS wise? Is this equally correct for LB and NT?

3) On Galakras waves of adds: assuming these are stacking together, I do think FB would be best option while targetting an add with largest health pool (or most dangerous). But again, would it be worth DPS wise to use NT instead and placing it on several targets rather than a single one?

Lastly, I´d really appreciate hints on how to track bombs running on more than one target. Currently I am using Tell me When to track this and have no issues, but a totally different story is to track several bombs going on at once and specially to know which mobs have no bombs currently. This is easy in the Fallen Protectors encounter thanks to DBM addon (I think) which displays name of all three bosses and its adds, so I can see right away if I missed the bomb on any.

Thank you =)

- Elia -

Here is a weakaura that will track LB on multiple targets.  It gives timers on all of them to, so you know when to start refreshing and clearly indicates when your current target has no bomb on it.  I would hope it could be altered pretty easily to work with all 3 bombs, but I have not tried.

dWJMiaWsvbAxufXRvfQzIQyUQcy2u8BQCtrf3guFtjonWorXEj7gQ9Js)uvsddv14uv9xL0qvv0GrLHljhuuPtPkrhJQ6CkOfkslvvclwbwUs9qvH8uKLjPEoKhtPMQkMmitxQlQQWvvfvptexxL2OQuxwyZk02PK(ivrDjvr6Zk67QknsvrzAIYOPkmEQI0jvf0Tqv6AuIZtvABIQoSeJsvelFDev0rTiKOApHVNyreSiirq6iYtFDCefTEBPoZ3N)YY)qF)Hz))AK3SmrEFDCefTEZRL)mlw8hwZFyss9ssEnYB2qr7ycC4J3QqeKxCbgyp3UBLiaKOCkLzWYXdWkapz5sDWdefEAvbdfqkvekmJF6a4w051pf9fa1EO3zw4NKN)FT)scFl8))1iVz5fHVWNnyoJnsm(IkqqGg4WfZAVbZzSr6OwKhby6rR35RRxYNKnmjjlVf())AK3mlImUcKoI2otOJi4RPb6OwTA1IS1rm(6i6I7nyoJToIqvHXWuGdX8V4RwuVbZzS1reum4ooE8wfIEwUViN3pNhrxCynWTOYTDIUOyfGTgBuOurH1a3IEKZzGCFXSCFUDZDGqSCpHQcJ5LIUOy9IbTsfDrXkQkmgMcCOur4cCiIhGvaEYYL6GhicxGdKoIXxepaRa8KLl1bpqTOlg0I6YEgTiuvymmf4qm)l(ICFXVInEvQi7lQDWREaGcrnaoGulY4kq6i6IIvBtbHuQOTZe6ic(AAGoQvlQlMa3IXpteQkS1recGNMqm1QfDrXQTdEqPvQiBtbH0recGNMquo565pul6II1UycCRu1IGaOktXl1f7hJe90kr7ycC4J3QqeW2Hfz7mUToIXxV)hU4)VKFi)SL66m(81iVwsetIE)NS4Nmm)qlzz8ZNKKPrETKOweas0hJJHDZYLLXYTWYvZYLWYTWYLWYvZYvlcFHpBWCgBKy8fvGGanWHlM1EdMZyJ0rTiBNZa5(IvQAXuRJiBNXT1rm1IHVys0781(5xssYZpPEPU2prJ8AzrTOlU3G5m26icvfgdtboeZ)IVAr9gmNXwhr2xu7Gx9aafIAaCaj6IdRbUfvUTt0ffRaS1yJcLkkSg4w0JCodK7lML7ZTBUdeIL7juvymVu0ffRxmOvQiCboq6igFr8aScWtwUuh8a1IUOyfvfgdtbouQiCboeXdWkapz5sDWdebWwJnkuQi3x8RyJxLk6IbTOUSNrlcvfgdtboeZ)IViOyWDC84Tke9SCFroVFopQfzCfiDeDrXQTPGqkv02zcDebFnnqh1Qf1ftGBX4Nj6IIvBh8GsRurOQWwhriaEAcXuRwKTPGq6icbWttikNC98hQfDrXAxmbUvQArqauLP4L6I9JrIEALODmbo8XBvicy7WISDodK7lwPIkqqGg4WfZAVbZzSr6Oweas0hJJHDZYLLXYTWYvZYLWYTWYLWYvZYvZYvlcFHpBWCgBKy8fbbqvMI3hA7WIEiUJ9yXoEGhA7WOhi3badO9UMtzgR8aScWZuh8a1Ijrhr2oJBRJy817)Hl()l5hYpBPUoJpFnYRLeXKO3)jl(jdZp0swg)8jjzAKxljQf1BWCgBDezFrTdE1dauiQbWbKOloSg4wu52orxuScWwJnkuQOWAGBrpY5mqUVywUp3U5oqiwUNqvHX8sr4cCG0rm(I88TSHafmlNBKLlxSniWnl3dcWtKArxuSIQcJHPahkveUahI4byfGNSCPo4bIUOy9IbTsf5(IFfB8QurOQWyykWHy(x8fDXGwe810arqXG744XBvi6z5(ICE)CEulYJam9OftMfrgxbshrxuSABkiKsfTDMqhrWxtd0rTArDXe4wm(zIqvHToIqa80eIPwTiBtbH0recGNMquo565pul6IIvBh8GsRurxuS2ftGBLQweeavzkEPUy)yKONwjAhtGdF8wfIa2oSiaKOpghd7MLllJLBHLRMLlHLBHLlHLRwubcc0ahUyw7nyoJnsh1I(cGApetMfrxCVbZzS1reQkmgMcCiM)fF1IWx4ZgmNXgjgFr2oNbY9fRu1Qfzvm(z(8vlba

Hello fellow mage
1) Keep the bomb up on all targets that are going to live for the full duration.
This includes bosses, adds, ANYTHING that is going to let the whole bomb tick.
2) On protectors keep NT up on everything except the small adds during Sun phase (still DoT the small ones)
When I say everything I mean everything. Basically during rook transition with 50% haste you will use 5 seconds for Dot placements and have 5 seconds for DPSing one of the adds. THis is if you want the highest damage meter. If you struggle at killing the mobs, then dot the Rook ads and then use single target on one of them (if you have 2 stacked and 1 running solo, focus the stacked ones).
3)On galakras both can wield good results, although assuming you keep ads stacked.
I use NT, but I am on Goblin duty so yea idk.

Hope this helped
Cheers
Berlinia

Thanks to both for the hints.

Berlinia, this is a big change to my stragety and play style. It means that I am going to spend a lot more time on placing bombs than working on my single DPS rotation, and I will give up on advantages from having two or four tier 16 pieces as will reduce how often I pop arcane missiles. I understand from your explanations that DPS gain from multidoting is higher than DPS lose from single DOTing plus single DPS rotation on one mob.

This being said, there is still something I am not fully clear about. What is the exactly the point on LB vs NT if we are to have the bomb running up on all mobs? Let´s say I am fighting A and B. You say it is best approach DPS wise is to put LB ob both, DPS A, refresh LB on both, DPS A. Rinse and repeat. Now, I am fighting A, B, C and D. Best approach will NOT be to place LB on all four but to place NT on all of them because damage will transfer between each other being multiplied, and very seldom, single DPS because I will not have much time from placing last bomb and refreshing first.

Did I understand correctly?

Thank you!

- Elia -

You are understanding expertly and I am happy about that (Y).
Especially as Arcane your mastery boosts your DoT damage. So the more gear you get the damage of your bombs is even higher. You will lose time on single target dps, but your DoT damage is higher than your Single Target + Cleave due to NT doing 50% of the damage to another target. 
The reason you do not pick LB is that LB can only tick on 3 targets, and the damage of NT on 3 targets if close enough for the 50% thing to happen is higher than the single target + exp on 3 stacked targets by LB.
However if one target is consistently away from the rest pick LB.

You really will need to alter your playstyle considering snapshotting important trinket procs or meta gem is even more important than single target. But remember even on protectors you lose roughly 5 seconds if you ignore snapshotting so during the remaining 7 seconds procede with single target rotation.

cheers
Berlinia