FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
vaeevictiss

Question on how to properly use procs

So i think a lot of my DPS woes comes from confusion with procs. I think i tend to wait for them or possibly utilize the wrong ones.

Obviously, the Bindings and KTT are the best, especially when synced with DS. but how about the other ones like Lightweave, Jade Spirit and the Meta. They also provide a decent INT buff (haste for the meta). Then there is 2PT16 which while does nothing for CB, it does help Immo and Incin. 4PT16 however directly buffs CB.

So for destro, what procs are the best to really get the most out of CB? Is it worth casting it for a proc like Jade Spirit?

what about aff? is it worth the cast time? i rarely play aff anymore, but when i do it always feels like im recasting dots every time my AffDots turns blue/green? Im beginning to think im wasting a lot of time just recasting to take advantage of what may be a buff not really worth casting for.

Currently, i have 7 things that proc. then an additional 2 with DS and a potion but those are user controlled so easier to line up when most useful.

Edited by vaeevictiss

I'll answer for Destruction on how I approach procs.

2pc - Garbage proc. Ignore it. Remove it from trackers. Done.

4pc - Keep immolate snapshotted with this 100% of the time. For bonus points (especially if you run 10.4k haste) snapshot along with meta gem. Also bleed excess embers at 3rd or 4th ember.

Meta Gem - Used along with 4pc for ember generation.

Engi gloves - will cast a chaos bolt with it and make sure I also game a 4pc proc at the same time.

Tailoring/Jade Spirit - I don't actively track these in my UI, but they are decent procs. I should probably track Lightweave.

BBoY/KTT - RPPM trinkets, dump 2-3 embers as appropriate. 

Dark Soul/Bindings - Track the proc as well as the ICD. These two always used together and will be your bread and butter for dumping 4+ embers. Make sure you also snapshot immolate with 4 pc when both of these are up. You need to track the ICD on these because you don't want to dump 3 embers on KTT with 5 seconds left on Bindings.

That's kinda it.

TL;DR - Immolate with 4pc/meta. Chaos bolt with Dark Soul, Trinkets, or at 3 embers with 4pc.

Edited by Liquidsteel

Jade Spirit and Lightweave are good for when you are at 3 - 3.8 embers, as soon as I get one of those I burn my excess ember. Also, I only burn all my embers for KTT/BBoY if there are >30 seconds left on PBI's ICD. 

I don't bother with Jade Spirit or Lightweave as destro, because they're inconsequential. Play like this more or less. Once you break 3 embers, you want to dump an ember and snapshot Immo if you get the 4pc, otherwise hold until 3.7 in case you can get a trinket proc between 3.0 and 3.7

Are PBI/DS up?

-If yes, ITS DUMPING TIME

-If no, did KTT proc?

--If yes, are PBI/DS about to come up?

---If yes, only burn embers as you get to 3.5

---If no, ITS DUMPING TIME

--If no, is 4pc going to trigger at 3 embers?

---If yes, burn one Chaos Bolt and snapshot Immolate when you trigger it.

---If no, wait until 3.7 to dump in case of proc.

TL;DR - Immolate with 4pc/meta. Chaos bolt with Dark Soul, Trinkets, or at 3 embers with 4pc.

^ This

You want Immolate to crit and crit often.

Every other big proc (trinket, DS) basically means CB.

Small procs near ember cap is another CB.

Any other time your just getting a little more out of your filler.

DS is a 160 second CD, PBI is 155 ICD. *normally* they will line up unless something odd happens or RNG bones you in the face. As such *normally* you can hold DS for a PBI proc, however if RNG happens and you shouldn't hold PBI for more then 10 or so seconds. 

This of corse all goes to hell if you are using DS for something, like the Eng on Garry or some other important mechanic. If your PBI and DS become unsynced, use it on CD. An ICD tracker for PBI can help.

I'll answer for Destruction on how I approach procs.

2pc - Garbage proc. Ignore it. Remove it from trackers. Done.

4pc - Keep immolate snapshotted with this 100% of the time. For bonus points (especially if you run 10.4k haste) snapshot along with meta gem. Also bleed excess embers at 3rd or 4th ember.

I recommend using a tracker with an audible alarm triggering on the 4pc proc. When the alarm sounds you know it's time to renew your Immolate and maybe throw in a Rain of Fire. With 10.4k haste i can rarely fit in a CB on a 4pc alone anyway.

Also read how Zagam explains about the important and unimportant procs in his own way here (post# 671)

I recommend using a tracker with an audible alarm triggering on the 4pc proc. When the alarm sounds you know it's time to renew your Immolate and maybe throw in a Rain of Fire. With 10.4k haste i can rarely fit in a CB on a 4pc alone anyway.

Also read how Zagam explains about the important and unimportant procs in his own way here (post# 671)

You playing with like 400ms or something?

With 10.4k haste I can do chaos bolt plus immolate, or on multi target can fit in 3 immolates.

You should be tracking the ICD as well as the proc. This way you know when it's going to proc in advance and can plan ahead accordingly.

DS is a 160 second CD, PBI is 155 ICD. *normally* they will line up unless something odd happens or RNG bones you in the face. As such *normally* you can hold DS for a PBI proc, however if RNG happens and you shouldn't hold PBI for more then 10 or so seconds. 

This of corse all goes to hell if you are using DS for something, like the Eng on Garry or some other important mechanic. If your PBI and DS become unsynced, use it on CD. An ICD tracker for PBI can help.

120 and 115, good sir. 

I would like to add, when tracking embers I've started to see when my embers are at 8's or 9's , do whatever spell to get the 0's and then you know that your next spell is going to be a chaosbolt, then you will have no problem fitting in a CB or 2. It's all about timing ( as it is all with destro spec ).

I'm running at 9778 haste and have no problem with 2 x chaosbolts in a 5 sec window.

Nalar.

I would like to add, when tracking embers I've started to see when my embers are at 8's or 9's , do whatever spell to get the 0's and then you know that your next spell is going to be a chaosbolt, then you will have no problem fitting in a CB or 2. It's all about timing ( as it is all with destro spec ).

I'm running at 9778 haste and have no problem with 2 x chaosbolts in a 5 sec window.

Nalar.

This is what I do.  If I have an Immolate ticking or a Rain of Fire down and I'm at 2.8 or 3.8 Embers, I start my Chaos Bolt cast knowing I'll proc the 4pc before the cast completes.  This enables two full CBs with the 4pc proc or gives you time to reapply Immolate 2-3 times as well as snag in a few Incinerates.  5 seconds is a lot of time when you plan for it and feels super short when it suprises you.

so im guessing along with lightweave and jade spirit its probably pointless to track the meta as well? Granted it is gobs of haste, but it doesnt exactly "buff" CB.

Personally I would track them, it's a buff non the less, might be inferior to the others but it's still a buff,

If you track them then your opener will be better because you know when it runs out, macro all you buffs that you can do all at once ( Ds, jade serpent, berserking( if a troll) , lifeblood (alchemy) all at once.

Haste might be inferior for destro spec but for the start of a fight it's awesome, ember regen faster which means you will get your 2nd ember faster (even with conflagerate) and so when you get to the 2nd ember you will still have your buffs up and no messing!!.

It does what it says on the tin!!.

You should definitely track the meta.

Lets you know if you'll be able to squeeze out that last chaos bolt under procs.

Lets you know if you should hold off on conflagrate to prevent going under GCD on incinerate.

Lets you know that you can snapshot immolate with haste + crit buff for uber ember generation.

To not track it would be stupid, quite frankly. 

I don't track TR.  I play with a low enough Haste that I don't have to sweat hitting global caps with Incinerate except under Bloodlust when you can't really avoid that anyways.  I use TR to reapply Immolate (more ticks).  However, I don't need a visual tracker because I notice the sound of it proccing every time. 

To each his own, but I do think not tracking it is a mistake.

It's a very powerful buff, and often TR+4pc overlap just barely enough to snapshot immolate at the last millisecond.

Not tracking it could mean missing out on such potential wasted snapshots.

Same with chaos bolt. If TR is still up, I know I can squeeze out a chaos bolt with 2.2 seconds left on a trinket. Without it, I know I won't make it, and will just cast something else instead.

I track TR most due to the GCD cap and because in a case where I have no other procs, Rain of Fire can become a slight ember increase. If you've been playing a lock for a while, you will also get a feel for CB timing and TR gives it a different feel that you need to be ready for.