FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
JimieSitu

Advice for newbie tank

I'm wanting to get into tanking as a Prot Pally, but I just can't seem to get over the fear of messing up. How do you get over that hump? I know it would be easier to learn encounters in a raid group, but I can't seem to find one, so I'm going to have to learn through pugs. Are there any adding anyone can recommend, or good guides for current content? I mainly want to be able to run current raid content, but wouldn't mind some M+ as well. Thanks for any help!

It's both easy and hard - practice practice practice! Practice soloing as prot if you're not yet familiar with all the buttons, then practice in groups. You can probably get some good practice against pre-BFA raids (LFR or normal) if you don't 1-shot the bosses.

I'd start with content under your gear level (e.g. if you can handle heroic, queue for normal dungeons) and I find it's often helpful to start telling your group "please be kind, inexperienced tank, any tips appreciated".

I'm going through the same journey on my DH tank, but haven't quite bitten the bullet to jump into M+ where routes matter.

Good luck, and don't forget https://tanknotes.com/ for SL dungeon/raid tips!

I had the same problem as DH Tank. Constant fear of messing up. I watched some guides on some of the Raid and Dungeon encounters to get a feel for it. Also always have an eye out for your DBM timers, they will tell you when u have to use a cooldown etc. 

Personally i feel like m+ is a lot of stress in a pug especially as tank since you determinate the route your group is taking, which mobs are getting pulled etc. 

There is no place without failures. If there are no failures, then you are just a god, and there is almost no such thing, even the pros are mistaken, and if you are a beginner, then this is normal. So I don’t know what is there to be afraid of, how to fix it. Nunavnoe just need to realize that it will happen anyway and learn from it.