FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Eliadann

Frost mage logs - Shamans / Nazgrim (Flex)

Hi all,

At last, I managed to register in whole Warcraft Logs thingie, found my armory link and logged some bosses. Although I actually play as arcane, last and current weeks I am playing frost just to see a difference in game style (and miss arcane horriby, btw).

Take into account that I am a WoW newbie (first level 90 toon), but wizardry is a lifetime career :p Find below my armory link and logs of my fight against Shamans (win) and Nazgrim (wipe). I´d really appreciate inputs of your experienced masteries:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/minahonda/Assnar/simple

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/G6MZ3dH7xCKDvBJF/#type=summary&fight=51

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/G6MZ3dH7xCKDvBJF/#type=summary

Thanks all =)

- Elia -

For better feedback you should try posting a Malkork parse (Nazgrim is particularly useless in this imo), but from a quick look:

1) From a first glance, a few things are off (haste gems as main spec arcane, less than ideal reforging), so i'd recommend you read the IV guides as well as the Frost sticky.

2) Talent Invoker's Energy and learn to keep it up as close to 100% as possible. Your bomb uptimes look reasonable, so adding one more thing to monitor shouldn't hinder your dps. As annoying as it is, Invoker's Energy (and Rune of Power for arcane) are superior to Incanter's Ward. Additionally, Temporal Shield is superior to Ice Barrier in every fight except Malkorok because it's not on the GCD (on Malk, Ice Barrier is useful because it acts like a self-heal on your shield).

3) 36 FFB procs vs 31 casts, 35 FoF procs vs 34 casts; these are good but could be better.

4) 83% uptime on your bomb is decent but not amazing. Learn to swap bombs between fights; i personally use Living Bomb on Immerseus, Norushen, Sha, Juggernaught, Shamans, Nazgrim, Malkorok, Thok, Siegecrafter, Paragons and Garrosh, Frost Bomb on Galakras, and Nether Tempest on Protectors and Spoils.

5) It looks like you are macroing Icy Veins and Alter Time together, which is wrong. You should pop Icy Veins on its own first, and Alter Time later once your stuff procs. During Icy Veins you will get more procs thanks to the glyph.

6) Gemming wise you could do better. You are slightly over the hit cap, and if you are playing a hybrid arcane/frost mage i think it's better to go for a low haste mixture build; basically get haste until 9522 and then stack mastery. In your gear this essentially means that you can gem Mastery. For more info on all the different Frost builds.

7) Glyphs wise, i personally never found the Elemental glyph to be very useful. I personally like Splitting Ice and Cone of Cold for fights when i can cleave (Splitting Ice is fucking ridicolous on Shamans if you don't tank them separately), and a combination of Rapid Displacement, Blink and Evocation for single target fights. Always glyph Icy Veins.

All in all, that's all i can think of. Have fun on your mage! :)

• Like 2

That´s an amazing chunk of feedback, thanks so much!

On the gear part, I fully agree with you, but take into account that my gear (gems and reforge) are focused on arcane and I didn´t change anything over swapping to frost, and for a reason. I am just trying out frost playstyle wise, and checking out its DPS potential. This said, if think that my gear approach is not correct for arcane spec, please let me know!

On the bombs are procs reaction, thanks. Indeed I do need to improve here, I normally go with LB but somehow thought that NT might work better on shammies since they are close now and then, but still.

On the talents. For arcane I of course I go with RoP all time, but over swapping to frost I didn´t want to monitor IE as I busy enough learning the spec. Is really such a big deal playing frost the difference between both talents? About the shields, I normally go with FG or TS, but on some fights I take IB whenever I have breaks that won´t hinder my DPS (i.e. Galakras and Nazgrim)

On the usage of Alter Time along with Icy Veins, I am not clear on your point. Indeed I macroed them together, but I pop the macro when I have trinkets procs up, so I can add 6 seconds to the duration of those procs. Is this a wrong approach?

I will look into the glyphs I am using and get myself a nice Malkorok log. I do suspect my DPS is extremely low compared to DPS of other classes I raid with that are worse geared than myself.

Thanks again!

- Elia -

The reason why Icy Veins and Alter Time shouldn't be used on a macro is due to two factors:
a) Purified Bindings of Immerseus procs of spell hits, not casts. This makes it so that when you cast Icy Veins (Glyphed) on the pull, you fire 3x frostbolts at a time stacking your icelances extremely fast and increasing the chance for PBoI to proc. That way you increase your chances of having all your procs up in order for Alter Time to have maximum usage.
cool.png Icy Veins should be used on cooldown whereas Alter Time when you have FoF, BF, and preferrably two high value procs(Meta gem + Khadris Toxic Totem (on the pull you need PBoI>KTT though).
These are the reasons why you shouldn't macro the two together
Cheers
Berlinia

Edit: TLT, you don't use Nether Tempest on Paragons? How do you whore dem meters :P

Edited by Berlinia
  • Like 1

Eh i'm way too tryhard in the last stage of SoO :D Besides i feel like i do enough whoring on Protectors and Shamans (yay for mastery stacking lol).

If you want to have a set of gear that works well for both arcane and frost, focus on mastery over haste. It's even possible to stack mastery and ignore breakpoints as frost, which at your gear level will work best if you want to play both specs.

HI,

can someone explain it again how to use icy veins and alltimer right? (please write in in the way a european guy can undertand smile.png )

I already ask here to analyse my log. the first thing i was working on is to improve uptime of LB and Invoker's Energy. Both now between 85 and 95%.

Now i read about "do not marco IV with Altertime".

Please can you give me hint to improve dmg with the right use of IV and Altertime?

ATM

i m waiting for min. 1 trinket proc (int) , FFB and FF Proc to macro Frozen Orb, icy veins and Altertime.

Item LVL 566 Malkorok NHC round about 260-280 DPS -> i think i should reach 300 - 330 k dps

Cheers

Montigo (EU-Aegwynn)

Edited by Montigo

HI,

can someone explain it again how to use icy veins and alltimer right? (please write in in the way a european guy can undertand smile.png )

I already ask here to analyse my log. the first thing i was working on is to improve uptime of LB and Invoker's Energy. Both now between 85 and 95%.

Now i read about "do not marco IV with Altertime".

Please can you give me hint to improve dmg with the right use of IV and Altertime?

ATM

i m waiting for min. 1 trinket proc (int) , FFB and FF Proc to macro Frozen Orb, icy veins and Altertime.

Item LVL 566 Malkorok NHC round about 260-280 DPS -> i think i should reach 300 - 330 k dps

Cheers

Montigo (EU-Aegwynn)

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5231-faq-for-mages-snapshotting-macros-all-specs/#forum-anchor-13

The opening rotation is well explained in the normal guide's rotation section.

Oltier you just made me delete a 250 word post with easy explanations xD
damn you

Also don't macro Frozen Orb with Icy Veins and Alter Time. It has a 1 minute cooldown and you should almost always use it on cooldown. 
Cheers
Berlinia

• Like 1

Oltier you just made me delete a 250 word post with easy explanations xD

damn you

That's why we have made the FAQ topic :D

Also don't macro Frozen Orb with Icy Veins and Alter Time. It has a 1 minute cooldown and you should almost always use it on cooldown. 

Cheers

Berlinia

and additionally, Frozen Orb triggers a GCD, which is again a waste of Icy Veins uptime, AND Frozen orb will generate one FoF when it hits the target, while you have already Alter Timed, or the worst, Alter Time will trigger for the second time, when Frozen Orb hits the target and you wasted a FoF.

However, if you used Frozen Orb a few seconds BEFORE Alter Timing, you will guaranteedly have a FoF charge and thanks to Alter Time... you will actually have 2 FoF charges already.

Sorry Guys , i read this Thread and see The Hint reg Not use IV weithin a macro, do Not think about search in an another FAQ Theras. Sorry.

I will make some try's and maybe Comeback with a log.

Thanks

Edited by Montigo

Sorry Guys , i read this Thread and see The Hint reg Not use IV weithin a macro, do Not think about search in an another FAQ Theras. Sorry.

I will make some try's and maybe Comeback with a log.

Thanks

If you do so, please create a new topic for it so we won't spam another person's. :)