FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
tonitee

MMOG Relationships

Hi Everyone, My name is Toni, and I work for a British TV company called Back2back, based in Brighton UK. 

We are currently making a documentary for Sky Living about relationships that start in online games, with a working title of “Happily Ever Avatar”. The programme is a completely positive documentation of these relationships, where we look at relationships that have blossomed through online gaming/RP/Chat, with players falling in love through their avatars and going on to have meaningful, committed relationships in the real world. 

WoW's Press team are fully aware of the documentary, and are supportive of it.

It’s going to be a heart-warming series celebrating dating and relationships in the 21st Century. The theme is very much about 'love conquering all', and showing the incredible lengths couples that meet playing online games go to in order to become a real life couple. I am currently casting for UK based people who have found love in this way, who might like to be involved in the programme. 

This programme is definitely not Catfish! I wish that words alone could stress that enough. this documentary will look at unconventional relationships in a counter-intuitive way, overturning many of our prejudices and misconceptions with honest storytelling. It will challenge us to realise that committed, successful relationships can embrace the unusual. 

Please get in touch with me if you'd be interested in taking part, or want to help with research. 

Thanks smile.png 

Edited by tonitee

I'd have a great story for you if I lived in the UK. I met my girlfriend playing World of Warcraft, after a little over a year of being in a guild together, and raiding 2-3 nights per week I took a trip to go meet her in real life. a few months later she came to visit me for a week. That summer after I was laid off from my job, I packed up everything and moved half way across the country to be with her, and we've been together for 4 years now.

• Like 4

That's a happy story Storm, but a shame for me neither of you are in the UK!

Thanks Damien :) Lots of lovely gaming couples have come forward, so I'm sure we'll make a lovely documentary. 

I once flew across the country to pound out a 19 year old female that was a hunter in my guild at the time.

That's gotta be love.

That's gotta be love.

TIL "pound out" is an expression of love.

Me and my wife have quite an interesting story. World of warcraft isn't how we met, but it served as each other's way "in" to start talking to one another. me and my wife both served in the same army unit, her being a combat medic and me being the bullet sponge. We actually met in the middle of a really hellish firefight in Afghanistan, I stole magazines from her because I had run out of ammo. We became friends after that, and spent another several months of missions and firefights together as friends. Then when we returned home I had posted something on FB about me being a loser who's Saturday night consisted of staying in and playing wow, and that's when it finally happened...her response. "you play wow? me too!" the rest is strange strange nerdy history lol

• Like 7

I think you're the first person in history to recount a 'hellish firefight in Aghanistan' and self identify as a nerd in the same paragraph. wink.png