FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Zagam

5.4 Affliction Tips & Quirks

Well yesterday my hit rating was 13,12% and I was at top 3-4 on meters since the other warlock was always at top 1 doing almost more 10k then the 2nd person. Today I will try with 14,97 so the only way to be hit cap it's sacrifice mastery and I really don't wanna do such thing.

For example on last try he did almost 20k compared to me and other warlock.

Any tips? It's about gear?

I will let here parses from last night if someone want analyze it.

WOL: http://www.worldoflo...sum/damageDone/

Cheers

PS: It' weird on Dragon Soul I was beating him( he had orange stick) in almost all bosses, doesn't matter spec on those days. And since the new expansion I CAN'T reach him on tabble.

A detailed information would be so awesomeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!! You can check my gear aswell if you have to :).

Armory: http://eu.battle.net/wow/pt/characte...dt/Vort/simple

Edited by Vortex

Hey Vort, I'll do my best here.

For assumption purposes, and a lack of time, I'll only analyze the last attempt that you pointed to.

Your DoT uptimes:

Agony = 94.5% (1047 ticks)

Corruption = 92.5% (804 ticks)

Unstable Affliction = 90.9% (911 ticks)

25 ticks of Drain Soul

55 Nightfall procs

Befizzled DoT uptimes:

Agony = 94.8% (1121 ticks)

Corruption = 92.5% (937 ticks)

UA = 91.3% (958 ticks)

23 ticks of Drain Soul

67 Nightfall procs

It looks like the reason he beat you is because of his ability to get his DoTs up on more targets faster. More DoTs = more Nightfall = more Haunt = more damage. More DoTs = more damage. Just get your DoTs up on any new target that spawns at any point.

Thanks! Thought that aswell... I'm dotting rage adds and strenght asap when they spawn!

I'm only slacking on bosses, I'm not multi-dot any of them only when I don't have nothing to dps.

But rages die so quickly it's hard to multi-dot them if I don't have shards, I have to dot manually and when I cast my last dot rage will be dead.

It's rather save shards, to multi-dot everthing then Haunt? Because sometimes I have only 1 shard and I cast Haunt instead of SB:SS on a rage for example.

Btw yesterday last try was 0.1% wipe. xD, boss had 400k xD. But all raid was dead.

Question regarding 6+ AOE fights. I've been casting Soulburn: Seed of Corruption then Soulburn: Curse of the Elements and then spamming Rain of Fire. I haven't seen anyone mention Soulburn: Curse of the Elements. I've been able to put up descent numbers. Is Soulburn: Curse of the Elements a waste of time?

I hope this isn't too ridiculous a question: Do I need to activate soul link before I use grimoire of sacrifice in order to get the passive increase in health?

Thanks and my apologies if I'm thick or passed over the information somehow in my reading.

Spin

Edited by spin

Thanks! Thought that aswell... I'm dotting rage adds and strenght asap when they spawn!

I'm only slacking on bosses, I'm not multi-dot any of them only when I don't have nothing to dps.

But rages die so quickly it's hard to multi-dot them if I don't have shards, I have to dot manually and when I cast my last dot rage will be dead.

It's rather save shards, to multi-dot everthing then Haunt? Because sometimes I have only 1 shard and I cast Haunt instead of SB:SS on a rage for example.

Btw yesterday last try was 0.1% wipe. xD, boss had 400k xD. But all raid was dead.

I love me some 0.1% wipes. It builds character :D

For Will, I would personally save my Soul Shards to multi-dot, but I never had an issue losing shards on this one. Just know that Rage die faster, so apply your DoTs elsewhere and come back to Rage so you can fill up on shards. My uptime on the actual bosses was low...I enjoyed the fact I could let DoTs tick on the bosses while I was the major killer of the adds. The only time I was focused on the bosses was during Titan Gas when there weren't any adds out.

Question regarding 6+ AOE fights. I've been casting Soulburn: Seed of Corruption then Soulburn: Curse of the Elements and then spamming Rain of Fire. I haven't seen anyone mention Soulburn: Curse of the Elements. I've been able to put up descent numbers. Is Soulburn: Curse of the Elements a waste of time?

It depends. Since none of the raid bosses have a high amount of adds, I wouldn't consider this an important point. Putting up CoE on all mobs seems excessive in dungeons when the global you used probably could have just dealt more damage and finished the trash pull faster. If future bosses contain 8+ mobs and you don't have a Rogue, it might be worth looking into.

As for your 6+ AoE logic, that's similar to what I do. I Soulburn: SoC then make it rain with Rain of Fire until the mobs die or I'm OOM, usually the 2nd because RoF costs an arm, a leg, and 50 billion mana per tick.

I hope this isn't too ridiculous a question: Do I need to activate soul link before I use grimoire of sacrifice in order to get the passive increase in health?

Thanks and my apologies if I'm thick or passed over the information somehow in my reading.

Spin

No, you do not. Simply have the talent active. When you Grim of Sac, your HP pool will be massive thanks to Soul Link.

Could someone be so kind as to post a quick reference about item levels and expected DPS for affliction?

I currently have an item level of 451 and only pull 25k, where as many other DPS are pulling 35-50k.

I want to know if this is just normal for affliction given my item levels, and what I should aim for with future item levels.

Edited by Incendax

When I hit level 90 and had an ilvl of 446, I was around 35k single target in a heroic dungeon.

When I had all of my heroic gear and landed at ilvl 463, I was doing around 55k single target.

Now, at ilvl 482, I can sustain DPS higher than 80k over a long period of time. Affliction scales extremely well and every piece of gear will make a significant DPS gain.

At 451, 25k DPS is rather lackluster. It sounds as if you are not performing your spell priority correctly. Try to look up the other forum posts we've provided for assistance in boosting your performance.

I'm kinda new to the simcraft program, played with it some. But when I sim my character it says haste is much more valuable than mastery for me. This is confusing considering common sense tells me mastery is beast for affliction. Right now with my gear it says 1.69 for haste and 1.09 for mastery. Am I reading this right? I put the iterations to 10k but i'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do, if anything.

this is a link to my lock:

http://us.battle.net...iahnna/advanced

So even tho sim is telling me haste is better, I have been reforging anything I can to mastery. I feel like I have a crap load, sitting at 63% unbuffed. Yet I don't feel like i'm doing the dps that I should be doing with that much mastery, along with a decent amount of sp at almost 16k unbuffed.

I'm not raiding yet, so I'm only doing lfr atm. Last night I pulled top dps on spiritbinder at 51k which I think seems low. Am I just crazy and that's what I should be doing for my stats? Or am I reforging too much mastery and should reforge some to haste?

Oh my rotation seems to be fine, I've read you're post on rotation and it seems I follow everything the same.

Edited by Lyri

When multi dotting (say 2 targets during stone gaurd) is it benifical to channel drain soul (for a short period of time) just to get a couple of shards? I do realize drain soul in it self is a dps loss above 25%, but letting dots fall off or not having haunt tick up is as well.

Thanks

http://us.battle.net...e/Phynom/simple- armory

(yes, I roll the dice with low hit)

Edited by Phynom

This tip should only be applicable until you hit level 90. After that, refresh your DoTs by reapplying your DoTs due to Pandemic.

I'm not fully understanding this. I was mediocre at playing an afflock in Cata because for some reason I never understood the usefulness of Felflame in refreshing DoTs. I finally 'got it' and when levelling up in MoP it was a lifesaver as far as steadily increasing DPS levels.

Does using Felflame to refresh DoTs not work in conjunction with Pandemic? Also, when you talk about reapplying DoTs to benefit from Pandemic, does SB:SS accomplish this or would it only count if you manually cast UA and Corruption?

Also, I see a lot of afflocks using Kil'jaeden's Cunning over choosing Archimonde's Vengeance. I couldn't imagine that the slowing down effect and the longer channel cast times with Kil'jaeden's Cunning would be worth it.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/korialstrasz/Elegua/advanced

Also, I see a lot of afflocks using Kil'jaeden's Cunning over choosing Archimonde's Vengeance. I couldn't imagine that the slowing down effect and the longer channel cast times with Kil'jaeden's Cunning would be worth it.

I can only say why I do it but so much of our damage is wrapped up in MG running that I think it's much better for a little slower MG when I have to move then no MG at all ticking away. With AV, it has the potential to be more dps if you time things right, however in the long run, I think you're better suited being able to run MG on the move and you have more flexibility to bad situations when they come up.

I'm kinda new to the simcraft program, played with it some. But when I sim my character it says haste is much more valuable than mastery for me. This is confusing considering common sense tells me mastery is beast for affliction. Right now with my gear it says 1.69 for haste and 1.09 for mastery. Am I reading this right? I put the iterations to 10k but i'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do, if anything.

this is a link to my lock:

http://us.battle.net...iahnna/advanced

So even tho sim is telling me haste is better, I have been reforging anything I can to mastery. I feel like I have a crap load, sitting at 63% unbuffed. Yet I don't feel like i'm doing the dps that I should be doing with that much mastery, along with a decent amount of sp at almost 16k unbuffed.

I'm not raiding yet, so I'm only doing lfr atm. Last night I pulled top dps on spiritbinder at 51k which I think seems low. Am I just crazy and that's what I should be doing for my stats? Or am I reforging too much mastery and should reforge some to haste?

Oh my rotation seems to be fine, I've read you're post on rotation and it seems I follow everything the same.

Something sounds horribly off for you to be getting a scale factor at 1.09 for mastery. Simcraft is a tool that is only as good as its users' knowledge. Looking at your armory, it appears your stats look good. There must be something in your Simcraft program that isn't loaded properly. Run through the options and set up model to make sure it has imported everything from your character.

When multi dotting (say 2 targets during stone gaurd) is it benifical to channel drain soul (for a short period of time) just to get a couple of shards? I do realize drain soul in it self is a dps loss above 25%, but letting dots fall off or not having haunt tick up is as well.

Thanks

http://us.battle.net...e/Phynom/simple- armory

(yes, I roll the dice with low hit)

Drain Soul should not be used unless you are performing your single target rotation on an enemy with less than 20% life with very special exceptions such as right before Epicenter is cast during Feng. Period. Manually recast DoTs prioritizing Agony, UA, and Corruption.

I'm not fully understanding this. I was mediocre at playing an afflock in Cata because for some reason I never understood the usefulness of Felflame in refreshing DoTs. I finally 'got it' and when levelling up in MoP it was a lifesaver as far as steadily increasing DPS levels.

Does using Felflame to refresh DoTs not work in conjunction with Pandemic? Also, when you talk about reapplying DoTs to benefit from Pandemic, does SB:SS accomplish this or would it only count if you manually cast UA and Corruption?

http://us.battle.net...Elegua/advanced

Felflame does not "refresh" DoTs; it adds 6 seconds to Corruption and Unstable Affliction, so no, Pandemic and Felflame are mutually exclusive. Reapplying DoTs via Soulburn: Soul Swap does, indeed, use Pandemic. SB:SS acts as if you manually applied each DoT separately which is what makes not hit capping not a fun time for me. Without hit capping, any of your DoTs being applied during SB:SS can miss causing you to use another global reapplying a DoT which would be a big DPS loss and a waste of a Soul Shard. I use Archimonde's Vengeance for every single fight in Mogu'shan Vaults because there is no movement required while DPS'ing with Malefic Grasp. Movement in all of the encounters should be used to take advantage of instant DoT reapplication (Corruption & Agony), Life Tap, or Felflame. Archimonde's Vengeance is free DPS that typically adds 200-500k damage in a fight.

I can only say why I do it but so much of our damage is wrapped up in MG running that I think it's much better for a little slower MG when I have to move then no MG at all ticking away. With AV, it has the potential to be more dps if you time things right, however in the long run, I think you're better suited being able to run MG on the move and you have more flexibility to bad situations when they come up.

Kil'jaedan's Cunning only lasts for 6 seconds, no longer provides the benefit when used until off cooldown, and hampers your DPS significantly while moving. There are better things to be done while moving than casting MG or Drain Soul. Bad situations do not "come up" in this raid...everything is laid out for you and you always have ample time to prepare, perceive, and react to things around you.

Very good suggestions! I have an item or two which I'd love to get your thoughts on

1) the use of Fel Flame - I know this was touched on already above. I tend to use this especially if I am forced to move (don't stand in the fire!) and my DoTs are still running. Fel Flame adds an extra 6 sec to your UA and Corr. Fantastic for high movement fights! However, what about using Fel Flame instead of recasting Corr and UA? Is it better to manually recast UA and Corr, or consider using Fel Flame? 3 x Fel Flames = 18sec refresh as well as the additional instant DPS (more than 20k per hit if i remember). Of course, this will introduce additional Life Taps as time goes on. Is it worthwhile? (a possible refresh cycle for dots could be a Haunt, Fel Flame, Fel Flame, and MG, refresh CoA as required. There would be no need to Soulburn a Soul Swap to keep DoTs up, which keeps it free for more uptime on haunt)

The next part of the Fel Flame possibiltiy is this: Recast your DoTs during major Procs (EG Dark Soul, Bloodlust, and trinkweapon procs) is a good thing. So, If you recast your DoTs during this time, would using Fel Flame extend the duration of those DoTs, keeping the benefits of the Procs? this could be incredibly beneficial and worth testing ifhow much this affects your DPS. I'd happily life tap if my UA and Corr were hitting at Dark Soul speeds + Trinket Proc for the duration of the fight (life tap's GCDs would be offset by the number of GCD's I'd be saving on casting UA and Corr anyway, compounded by the benefits of the extended proc period)

2) Dont forget your Doomguard and Terrorguard also has a DPS boost if your target is below 20% health as well. Quite a few people I've spoken to weren't aware of this because they didn't read up on their pet's abilities. I tend to time this cooldown with the execute phase.

3) Up until reading this post, I have glyphed my Soul Swap ability to apply DoT's to my 2nd target. Do you see this as a waste in PvE? (consider Stone Guards in Mogu'shan - there are always 2 targets active so I was soul swapping between them). Is the better DPS route to glyph SS and pass the DoTs on, leaving additional shards for your Haunts, or to SB and SS (unglyphed)?

Edited by beatmebashme

Very good suggestions! I have an item or two which I'd love to get your thoughts on

1) the use of Fel Flame - I know this was touched on already above. I tend to use this especially if I am forced to move (don't stand in the fire!) and my DoTs are still running. Fel Flame adds an extra 6 sec to your UA and Corr. Fantastic for high movement fights! However, what about using Fel Flame instead of recasting Corr and UA? Is it better to manually recast UA and Corr, or consider using Fel Flame? 3 x Fel Flames = 18sec refresh as well as the additional instant DPS (more than 20k per hit if i remember). Of course, this will introduce additional Life Taps as time goes on. Is it worthwhile? (a possible refresh cycle for dots could be a Haunt, Fel Flame, Fel Flame, and MG, refresh CoA as required. There would be no need to Soulburn a Soul Swap to keep DoTs up, which keeps it free for more uptime on haunt)

The next part of the Fel Flame possibiltiy is this: Recast your DoTs during major Procs (EG Dark Soul, Bloodlust, and trinkweapon procs) is a good thing. So, If you recast your DoTs during this time, would using Fel Flame extend the duration of those DoTs, keeping the benefits of the Procs? this could be incredibly beneficial and worth testing ifhow much this affects your DPS. I'd happily life tap if my UA and Corr were hitting at Dark Soul speeds + Trinket Proc for the duration of the fight (life tap's GCDs would be offset by the number of GCD's I'd be saving on casting UA and Corr anyway, compounded by the benefits of the extended proc period)

2) Dont forget your Doomguard and Terrorguard also has a DPS boost if your target is below 20% health as well. Quite a few people I've spoken to weren't aware of this because they didn't read up on their pet's abilities. I tend to time this cooldown with the execute phase.

3) Up until reading this post, I have glyphed my Soul Swap ability to apply DoT's to my 2nd target. Do you see this as a waste in PvE? (consider Stone Guards in Mogu'shan - there are always 2 targets active so I was soul swapping between them). Is the better DPS route to glyph SS and pass the DoTs on, leaving additional shards for your Haunts, or to SB and SS (unglyphed)?

Felflame should not be used to refresh DoTs, period. It should ONLY be used if you're moving, don't need to Life Tap, and Agony is not about to fall off. Felflame costs a non-trivial amount of mana and only adds 6 seconds to two of your DoTs. I don't think everyone understands how Pandemic works. Instead of embracing the ability, people are trying to weave Felflame into their rotation which is actually a major DPS loss. Blizzard makes it easy for us and the player base goes out of their way to make it more difficult.

When you refresh your DoTs with Felflame, they automatically update and add 6 seconds to Corruption and Unstable Affliction. Let's take a look at this situation.

Current DoTs on target (seconds remaining)

Agony (14)

Corruption (6)

Unstable Affliction (2)

Casting Felflame would result in...

Agony (13)

Corruption (11)

Unstable Affliction (7)

You would have gained a total of 12 seconds worth of DoTs for 1 global + a noticable amount of mana.

Casting Unstable Affliction and Corruption separately would result in...

Agony (12)

Corruption (27)

Unstable Affliction (15)

For two globals, you now gained over 24 seconds worth of DoTs for a trivial amount of mana.

Now, we've done all of that without really looking at Pandemic. With Pandemic, it states that when you refresh a DoT, up to 50% of the maximum duration will be added to the current casting DoT. Maybe it sounds confusing, so I'll lay it out here.

Unstable Affliction = 14 second base duration with a tick speed of 2 seconds. With Pandemic, you can add up to 7 seconds of your previous remaining time to a new cast. Let's look at some reapplying methods and timings for emphasis:

Refresh UA at 2 seconds left --> UA with 16 second duration

Refresh UA at 5 seconds left --> UA with 19 second duration

Refresh UA at 7 seconds left --> UA with 21 second duration

Refresh UA at 10 seconds left --> UA with 21 second duration

Refresh UA at 14 seconds left --> UA with 21 second duration

As you can see, the optimal time to refresh UA is ANYTIME below 7 seconds remaining. If you do this, you gain the maximum duration via Pandemic. Hopefully here you can see using Felflame to up your duration is a complete waste of time and should be avoided at all costs.

Using Pandemic and stat snapshots is what separates Warlocks who do 60k and 80k in raid gear. Knowing how Pandemic and snapshot for stats works, you can monitor many things. The way I work my DoT application is based off of trinket procs. For example, right before Dark Soul:Misery wears off, I reapply DoTs no matter how much time is left on them to get the maximum benefit of additional ticks with the 30% spell haste buff. This is importat at the start because all of your trinkets and enchants would have proc'd as well. Typically the way the stars align, right as my Dark Soul is about to wear off (3 seconds left), my trinkets are about to fall off as well. With 3 seconds left, I refresh UA, Corruption, and Agony. Now, for the full duration of these DoTs, I will NOT refresh them. They are super powerful DoTs that if refreshed would revert back to your current stats which are nowhere close to what you were just under the effect of. If, however, you were to use Felflame before Dark Soul or your trinkets wore off, you'd gain a measly amount of time for a lot more mana. Cast your DoTs. Cast your DoTs. Cast your DoTs.

For the Doomguard, he doesn't do a whole lot more damage when he's under execute phase. Execute phases are typically shorter than the minute duration you get him for so when the boss dies, you'd likely be standing there next to your big friend and he has nothing to target. This means you wasted potential DPS. Your Doomguard also benefits from snapshot stats. I prefer to use my Doomguard at the beginning when my static spell power of 21,828 soars to 34,555. While I haven't done the math on it, I know I get full uptime with super mega stats that likely won't be nice enough to align when the boss hits 20% for optimal use. It is, however, to note that your Doomguard should be used on any part of the fight that requires an extra push (Elegon 100%-85% to only have 2 Celestial Defenders).

For two target fights, manually reapply DoTs to both targets making sure Agony never falls off of either. With 2 (or more) Corruptions ticking, you've essentially doubled your chances of Nightfall procs which would give you Soul Shards. If you cap off at 4 Soul Shards, feel free to use them to reapply all 3 DoTs if they all are running out of fuel. I beat a Combat Rogue on Stone Guard by manually refreshing DoTs on my secondary target while keeping my single target rotation on the same dog.

• Like 1

Thank you Zagam for taking the time to answer so thoroughly, much appreciated! I certainly understand pandemic as a clear advantage over fel flame in normal circumstances and will be removing my Soul Swap glyph!

Cheers

Anyone can explain this?

http://www.worldoflo...?s=9893&e=10419

How the 1º lock did more 12k then me? Since my uptime it's almost 100%

It's because on adds phase I use Rain of Fire and he used Harvest of Life?

Atm I'm letting Malefic Grasp end his cast, I'm refreshing dots <8-10 seconds before it fades. Whenever I have haunt I run 3x Malefic Grasp to benift from it the most I can.

I'm doing it right or I should refresh dots at the last tick? And don't run Malefic Grasp the entire cast?

Something like dot, dot, mg,dot,mg,dot... Something like that, i know im not explain so well. But what I really what to know it's if I should stop to Malefic Grasp to refresh a dot on the last tick...

FFS still kinda confuse with Affliction at single target! FML...

Edited by Vortex

To add another addon to the mix, Inline Aura http://www.curse.com/addons/wow/inline-aura in to put timers on the buttons on my action bar buttons. It shows (in seconds) the remaining duration of a buff, debuff, DoT or HoT used. It is now easy for me to see when to refresh anything and works with any class abilities, potions, and even buffs or debuffs from other players that are shared by the group. For example, if I would happen to use Curse of Enfeeblement, would see the 30 second countdown on my button as well as a warrior on their Thunderclap button because they do not stack. This holds true for anything that does not stack and saves at least a global CD on many non-stacking abilities on all classes. In general for the warlock, it is great for those DoTs.

Anyone can explain this?

It's because on adds phase I use Rain of Fire and he used Harvest of Life?

Atm I'm letting Malefic Grasp end his cast, I'm refreshing dots <8-10 seconds before it fades. Whenever I have haunt I run 3x Malefic Grasp to benift from it the most I can.

I'm doing it right or I should refresh dots at the last tick? And don't run Malefic Grasp the entire cast?

Something like dot, dot, mg,dot,mg,dot... Something like that, i know im not explain so well. But what I really what to know it's if I should stop to Malefic Grasp to refresh a dot on the last tick...

FFS still kinda confuse with Affliction at single target! FML...

Relax, brother! Goose fraba. Sounds like you're overstressing and trying too hard. Just relax and let the DoTs flow free. Have you ever asked him what he's doing differently than you? Personally, I don't see how a Heroic raider would take Soul Harvest over Soul Leech, but maybe he knows something I don't? Maybe it's that good for that add phase I've not yet dealt with. Did he crit more? Did he pot more? DoT uptime isn't everything anymore. Pandemic changed the game. It's DoT timing. When you have buffs, you refresh your DoTs then and you refresh your DoTs just as your buffs expire for maximum uptime. I've since changed my class timer bars to include my DMF Trinket proc, Lightweave proc, Potion time, and Stormlash to go along with Dark Soul. Now when something procs, it puts a bar beside my unit frames indicating what buff activated and how long it will be up. If I see my Relic proc and know that it just gave me 3000+ Intellect, I'll stop what I'm doing and refresh my DoTs. Three seconds before it fades, I'll refresh them again and remind myself NOT to refresh them until they are close to running out of time. Increasing your uptime with powered up DoTs will make the difference in DPS over someone who just prioritizes having DoTs up. It makes it interesting and something you really have to pay attention to in order to truly maximize your throughput.

I'm doing that bro, I refresh my dots when something proc's such Lightweave, Celestial , Relic or Windsong. Yesterday he had Jade Spirit it's much better then Windsong. But 12k? C,mon...

I'm using Weak Auras for those purposes.

Anyone can explain this?

you'll have to excuse me since i don't know the fight beyond what i've seen in LFR.

What is this part of the fight:

http://i.imgur.com/sLn5a.jpg

Where his dps skyrockets up and yours (light purple) stays constant?

Could that section alone be enough to push him 12k ahead?

• Like 1

Was just thinking about this and thought i'd see what anyone has to say about it. (bored really)

Windsong Enchant (+1500 to crit,mastery,or haste) random which you will get lasts 12 seconds

-----If your haste is at 3043 already then 1500 haste does nothing for your dots

-----Crit- 1500*1.60= 2400

-----Mastery-1500*2.41= 3615

Power torrent (+500 int) 12 secs

500*4.34= 2170

The mastery proc on windsong is obviously huge and the crit is slightly higher then power torrent.

Is there any argument to be made about knowing what your going to get apposed to refreshing dots with a haste buff that helps nothing? I doubt there is a add on that tells you what exactly is the buff that proc's.( I do realize that more then one proc of windsong can go at the same time)

Edited by Phynom