FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
gonlaz

Resto Shaman, could I get a review of my build please?

Armory

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/zuljin/Kazzoom/advanced

My healing is fine for what I do, as this is another alt and I mainly run flex when I do run stuff and some lfr. I am usually top 2 in healing per fight however I would like to see if I can squeeze more out of my gear/build. I just went to mr robot and customized for 30% haste and reduced my spirit by 1k to 14k and I used the crit build mr robot had. I was a little taken aback by the lack of Crit it gave me and I wondered "shouldn't this be a lot more?"

Anyways, just hoped you'd take a look and see if I should adjust. Remember it's not for heroic raiding and really I don't normal raid either, although I can if I want to and I am trying to get this toon more involved in some normals. I've received loads of help on my druid here.

Thanks!

Wait, I think I see what I did there. Going for the higher haste took a load of crit from me. So, I guess I should ask what Haste Breakpoint vs crit should I be aiming at? BTW I have that pvp neck on because I have yet to get a burden from the isle (and I have tried weekly for months) nor do I get neck drops from lfr, so I know it's there.

I made some adjustments, let me know what you think :)

Edited by gonlaz

First a question: is this for ten man or 25 man?

The build isn't horrible. I personally go with my haste break first. For me that's the 33% break. The exact break is your choice based on how you feel and your style. Then I go for crit. As your gear improves so will your crit. Also, I prefer hybrid gems to single stat gems, especially when going for crit.

As your crit gets better, you'll regen more mana from that. Also consider using the totemic recall (glyhed) dance to return some mana. For me, I would go with as low spirit as I could, but then my co healers get grumpy.

On mr robot you want to make sure when going for a crit build that crit is more than 66% or so of intellect. I think my int is 1.0 and my crit is 0.75 then I put mastery and spirit to .1. Adjust the spirit numbers as you find a surplus of mana. Go down say 500 or so at a time, then run a flex and see how it holds. If you finish with heaps of mana, drop a bit more until you balance. After mana is fine and you reach your haste cap dump anything else into crit and enjoy.

Now that's the build side of the coin. Boosting your numbers is also about spell choice and timing.

Use every boost blizz have given you. Use UE before as many HR casts as you can. Cast your elemental to time with increased healing need. Time your HTT with big raid burst damage. I do 2 sec before so it tops most folks off before the burst then heals them up. Make sure your HR is hitting the most targets and finally keep HST on cool down. Glyph it on the fights it will help on. Practice setting up ascendance for huge healing.

Mostly though, have fun and practice as much as you can. When your feeling stronger and have the gear try solo healng some 10 man flex fights to really see what you're made of. Do the proving ground and master triage and preventative healng.

Hope some of this wall of text helps

For Haste breakpoints, there's not a lot of interesting points IMO. Maybe aiming for the 25% Riptide point is useful, but until you feel like your mana can sustain it just sit at the 12.5% breakpoint and throw it all into Crit. Ultimately, I'd recommend the 30% breakpoint once you get the Legendary Meta Gem, but until then keep Haste low so you can get the benefit of lots of Crit.

One thing we know for sure is that in terms of throughput, Hybrid gems are definitely better than Intellect gems. Replace your Int gems with Int/Crit or Int/Haste. CptDan is correct in what he says about the AMR stat weights. Here is a sample set of stat weights;

StatWeights.png

This setup gets you 12k Spirit as priority 1, then puts you at the 30% Haste breakpoint 2nd. After that, Haste and Spirit aren't worth anything and it goes for Crit everywhere else it can. Having the Crit weight over 0.5 basically ensures that it outweighs Intellect on gem slots - so it gems you for Crit/Int in Red slots. It takes Mastery over Haste and Spirit, but only once it's got to the relevant points.

You can change the Haste and Spirit caps quite easily to suit your tastes - in your case I'd change to the 12.5% cap and sit at 13k or 14k Spirit.

-------

One other thing I want to note is that your talents and glyphs can and should change before every fight - you want to start to think about which fights get the most benefits from which glyphs and talents. You might find that our thread on the subject will get you inspired.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for the responses. A day before the build I have currently, I was super high mastery (forge the number but it was high), gemmed int/spirit, 25% haste break point and did not have mana issues so I'm really not worried about that. I would like my heals to hit harder so to speak and I like the idea of a crit build. 

Cpt Dan, it's mostly lfr (25) and flex (usually 14 man) but for the normals I am wanting to do, 25 man.

Stoove - I'll give the weights you listed a go and see what happens.

Ooh wait, questions: Healing tide and healing stream, which comes first and which should be used on cd during each fight? I seem to get confused about that. ?

Also should I be throwing tiny bits of dps such as the searing totem, elemental and lava burst? I DO use lightning bolt for mana from time to time...?

Riptide: some fights it's my highest healer, but again I was on a mastery build and always was top2, sometimes 3 (14m flex) or 4 (25 lfr against higher geared druids, disc priests). Should I pepper it about or just keep it on tanks with a crit build?

Thanks again!

Crit is extremely powerful in 25s right now, so yeah go for that.

Ooh wait, questions: Healing tide and healing stream, which comes first and which should be used on cd during each fight? I seem to get confused about that. ?

Healing Stream is the 30 second cooldown totem; you should be using it literally on cooldown all the time. It's usually one of my top 3 heals.

Healing Tide you should be planning to use just before a big chunk of damage - like Falling Ash on Dark Shamans or Empowered Whirling Corruption on Garrosh. Use it as often as you can, but don't waste it either. Don't just leave it as an "oshit" button.

Also should I be throwing tiny bits of dps such as the searing totem, elemental and lava burst? I DO use lightning bolt for mana from time to time...?

Go for it if you feel you have time, but it's not usually essential (at least until Heroic Norushen progression!). Telluric Currents (the Lightning Bolt glyph) isn't that awesome; it's only a very tiny amount of mana and not usually worth the cast time. :(

Riptide: some fights it's my highest healer, but again I was on a mastery build and always was top2, sometimes 3 (14m flex) or 4 (25 lfr against higher geared druids, disc priests). Should I pepper it about or just keep it on tanks with a crit build?

For me it depends whether it's glyphed or not;

• If it's glyphed then throw it about on whoever's taken damage and use it to boost your Greater Healing Wave or Chain Heal casts. Keeping it up on the tanks isn't so hard when it has no cooldown, so go nuts. It's great.
  • If it's not glyphed then keeping it on one tank is a must. You can have three running at once though, so I try to balance it so that two are running on tanks and one is on the raid to use as a Chain Heal turret. That works quite well.

I hope all of that helps! :)

EDIT:

ended up with 50% mastery, 25% haste and 18% crit. Is that crit enough to make a difference? I dam not too familiar with how it works with halers yet, used to my warrior at 30% lol

Edited by gonlaz

Looks fine to me. You'll find as you go further up the gear scale you get more Crit. One thing to be aware of is Shaman get some stupidly high base Mastery, so it says 50% but you're only on ~5.2k stat rating.

Wow, this thread was started and finished before I woke up.

One thing I'd love to mention, is that you shouldn't be looking at Mastery as breakpoints or percentages.  If you have the opportunity to do so, every other stat (Int/Crit/Haste) is likely to provide more healing value than Mastery is, especially in our current 'day and age' of blanket absorbs.

Hey there, we were fast and I couldn't sleep lol! I used the advice given and it really helped out. Even though I was doing fine before I saw a clear  increase in productivity. Icy Veins wins again!

Quick question if anyone knows. What is the general belief on valor upgrade lists. In other words, does anyone have a theory on which gear to upgrade first, etc? I keep googling and not really coming up with results, or I am asking wrong...thanks!

• Like 1

I'd probably do my helm and amp trinkets first, but honestly I've not bothered with upgrades for a long time.

The best upgrade order is this:

Weapon (1H or 2H, do not do shields here)

Chest/Helm/Pants

Cloak

Trinkets

Shoulder/Belt/Boots/Gloves

Rings/Neck/Bracers/Off Hand.

This is based solely off the item stat weights.