FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

Patch 9.1 Battle for Ardenweald Cinematic

59434-runecarving-made-easy-all-91-updat

The first encrypted trailer has been revealed now that Patch 9.1 is live. It shows Tyrande and Sylvanas facing each other in the Battle of Ardenweald.

Video courtesy of MMO-Champion.

A few minutes ago, Blizzard also uploaded the launch trailer on the Warcraft YouTube channel.

Less impressed by that than any other cinematic they've made to my memory. It's three minutes of... absolutely nothing? One meaningless trump card after another, both in dialog and action.  

Sylvanas learns that oh no the jailor isn't nice, but that's nothing new. And Tyrande suddenly loses her power which would be more impactful if we knew... anything about that power except that it makes her nuts?

And she can fly now. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Halock said:

Less impressed by that than any other cinematic they've made to my memory. It's three minutes of... absolutely nothing? One meaningless trump card after another, both in dialog and action.  

Sylvanas learns that oh no the jailor isn't nice, but that's nothing new. And Tyrande suddenly loses her power which would be more impactful if we knew... anything about that power except that it makes her nuts?

And she can fly now. 

I didn't watch it yet, but man, what the heck is going on? It's like the WWE writing team has infiltrated Warcraft's storylines (random twists and turns that seemingly "build things up" but have no direction or long-term plan which inevitably leads to big letdowns and head-scratching).

1 hour ago, TyZone said:

I didn't watch it yet, but man, what the heck is going on? It's like the WWE writing team has infiltrated Warcraft's storylines

Feels like the action is just divorced from the events. There's no discernible power level, everyone just throws flashy moves at each other until the person chosen by the script wins.

Which feels like a weird complaint to make about Warcraft, home of much silliness. But there you go. 

3 hours ago, Halock said:

And she can fly now. 

I didn't even understand the Nathanos thing? I mean is the Jailer personally looking through everyone that came to the Maw from Azeroth and was supposed to inform Sylvanas? I just saw it as Slyvanas not knowing he had died (which is bizarre because didn't she explicitly send him to stand there in the Plaguelands for no reason? The assumption was she wanted him to get killed I thought? But that was still BfA so beyond idiotic writing is par for the course.)

Feels like a wannabe version of "Illidan vs Arthas" with : Fireworks, a love story from a soap opera, weird choreagraphy and a broken Chekhov's gun.

I thought it was a decent fight that was coming up.  I could see Sylvanas surprised with her not knowing Nat died, because they both probably figured they'd be together.  The jailer could have stopped that or he never made it and went somewhere else for another story.  Which I think they might use as part of her redemption arc, least i wonder if they going to try and redeem her in some way.  Bring her back to her former self before becoming Banshee Queen.  Who knows

• Like 1

This cinematic was sooo good.

Soooo good. 🤩

Also really enjoyed the story telling going through 9.1 and getting to Korthia so far.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Apart from agreeing with what others have said about characters randomly assaulting each other with shiny powers that don't follow any rule or reason, Sylvanas really would work better as a villain if they could write her with dialogue and mannerisms that show something deeper than 'sardonic, sneering femaledogword stereotype'. They have fallen into exactly the same trap as when they made Garrosh into a spoilt brat on steroids and it's a big part of the reason a lot of people have had enough of both of them. More popular villains like Kael'thas and Arthas were popular because they didn't do that and they had relatable backstories.

I enjoyed the story about the Primus so far and I like his new appearance. Hope I can muster the inclination to play that part.

9 hours ago, Nightfyre said:

Which I think they might use as part of her redemption arc, least i wonder if they going to try and redeem her in some way.  Bring her back to her former self before becoming Banshee Queen.  Who knows

Oh god, please no. The biggest mistake they can make from here on out is giving Sylvanas redemption. They would completely kill the story with a cheap-shot like 'Thank you for saving me, I was the biggest victim all along!'-stunt from this point on.

13 hours ago, Pandabuffel said:

Oh god, please no. The biggest mistake they can make from here on out is giving Sylvanas redemption. They would completely kill the story with a cheap-shot like 'Thank you for saving me, I was the biggest victim all along!'-stunt from this point on.

Nope, we're going to save her now.  She's going to be on tree planting duty.

• Sad 1