FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Popular Addon Makes an Ad Joke, Players Take it VERY Wrong

58424-big-negativity-toxicity-and-critic

This is both a very funny and also pretty sad story, as very popular addon Narcissus wanted to have a bit of fun, but some players just did not get the joke and reacted in a pretty negative way.

Earlier this week the latest Narcissus update featured a joke where you get a "website" popup when you log in with the addon enabled. If you take 5 seconds to look at what is being shown, it's pretty immediately obvious it's a joke, and that the addon didn't actually open a browser:

Clipboard04.jpg   Clipboard06.jpg

Clipboard08.jpg

However, some players apparently didn't take the 5 seconds to look at what was happening, saw the (purposefully) Wallmart-similar logo and decided that yes, a popular WoW addon had decided to not only incorporate adds, but also force opened a browser window. With this conclusion in mind, obviously said players uninstalled the addon and vowed to never use it again, and even after others explained it was a joke, stuck to their guns. There are actually several different threads, each with a few players completely missing the joke (and, of course, sticking to their outrage even when it's pointed out). The tweet from the addon creator seems pretty obvious as well, especially given the emojiy:

Here are just some of the comments in the various threads. We won't be posting usernames or the reddit threads that popped up with this topic, hopefully for obvious reasons.

I just updated Narcissus (an addon that gives a great looking UI to show everything you're wearing and your stats, great for transmog screenshots), and when i launched the game, Narcissus opened a Walmart web page, and displayed WoW-related products. And I know it was Narcissus cuz it said "Narcissus" right next to "Walmart".
Narcissus is now forcing nearly full-screen ads into the game?! How is this allowed?!
EDIT: After looking at the ad and listening to other's responses, it sounds like this is a fake ad, meant as a joke. Even if it is, it still should not be allowed. I downloaded this addon for it's advertised functionality, not for this unfunny joke that covers up almost the entire screen. It feels entirely out of place unless it's intended for april fools, but that's long past so this just feels inappropriate. - [OP of one of the posts.]
If it’s a joke then man they fucked up even more because as soon as I saw this ad shit I deleted that addon and will never get it again. - [Player 2]
Yeah, exactly. Even if it's a joke, it's in poor taste and clearly isn't seen as a joke by most people.

I briefly looked at it, and i wondered if it was a joke. Especially cuz they modified the Walmart logo to look like bones.Even if it is, it's still scummy to put a joke into your addon that covers up the screen and looks like an ad. I didn't sign up for jokes, I downloaded your addon for the features you advertised, not for you to display some full-screen fake ad that, to be perfectly honest, isn't even funny or makes any sense even if it is a joke.

Really fucking stupid one. As i said in the post, i downloaded this addon for it's advertised features, not for some stupid and honestly non-funny joke. I seriously do not see the point in this, it seems far more likely to upset people than to entertain them. - [OP of one of the posts.]
Just happened to me as well. I guess there goes that add-on for me. - [Player 3]
Ummm ya fuck that. Removing that add on for sure. - [Player 4]
idk I'm not from the US, how I am supposed to know that isn't some local stuff? - [Player 5]
It's a dumb joke
It is likely just a joke they've added, but i uninstalled it while waiting for a reply on their addon page on curse about what it is. - [Player 6]
Walmart is US only. I also thought it was a pop up ad. - [Player 7]

Meanwhile some players were trying to keep it light and informative:

I just came here to say the prices listed for those items is insane. - [This one just has to be a joke. If so, it's a good one!]
Look a bit more careful at the image. It's full of small jokes. - [Informative person 1]
 - Or the huge tip off of the time price being in souls. - [Informative person 2]
Looks like some sort of April Fools joke gone wrong. It's not an actual shop or ad, just an image probably intended to be a joke.
Here's some of the joke text from the addon files:

presets = { confirm = {"The Mailer", "Your Malmart Order Has Been Verified", "%s,\n\nThank you for your purchase. The master is pleased. For every Soul Coin you spend, a blade is forged, honed and ready to cut into the hearts of the non-believers.\n\nKind regards,\nThe Mailer"}; confiscate = {"Oribos Customs and Portal Protection", "We Have Seized Your Package", "Greetings Maw Walker,\n\nWe just confiscated a package sent from the Maw, and the items inside seemed to be purchased under your name. We have started an investigation to find the perpetrator because we are sure that a hero like you won't do anything to jeopardize the Purpose?"}; };

Not much more to say here except hopefully the actually pretty well-done joke didn't cause too many players to unistall the addon.

• Like 1

This what majority of wow players are. Intolerant, toxic. I wonder if the pandemic is causing such behavior or not

• Like 1

As a very literal autistic person, I wouldn't have realised it's a joke and would have gotten pissed off and uninstalled it for sure and voiced my displeasure and then had it pointed out to me that it's a joke *THEN* would have laughed - but still...

It's a fukkin curse being a literal autistic in a world Full of trolls.

Edited by m2geek

13 minutes ago, Elevendk said:

This what majority of wow players are. Intolerant, toxic. I wonder if the pandemic is causing such behavior or not

Trolling/April Fools jokes aren't great with me - I take everything literally cos of my autism. It's a fukkin curse.

2 hours ago, m2geek said:

Trolling/April Fools jokes aren't great with me - I take everything literally cos of my autism. It's a fukkin curse.

You see? You'd laugh after realizing the truth but these people are raging even further. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Elevendk said:

Calling someone toxic for not finding the joke funny?
Mate you're using that word all wrong.
And personally I completely agree with the people who are complaining.
This is a really bad joke and has no place in the game, so I'd be uninstalling the app as well if it had happened to me!

• Confused 1

20 minutes ago, Calin said:

This is a really bad joke and has no place in the game, so I'd be uninstalling the app as well if it had happened to me!

Well, IS there a single word of 'an overacting drama queens'?

Because players were going "Oh mah Gosh, Blizzard, this offends me SO MUCH, I'm unsubbing!!!!" over lesser things for as long as I can remember, applying that to an addon which did a harmless joke is little different.

PS: Community is toxic btw (then again, most fandoms are), just not in that example 😛

I mean...I get extremely annoyed every time I'm reminded that I have to go into my addons folder to delete the April Fool's file from DejaCharacterStats. I can't imagine that an addon opening a """"joke"""" pop-up would wind me up any less.

Edited by MrM

Uncommon Patron

All in all I don't think this **joke** was very well thought out so it's understandable that there was lots of negative rections.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elevendk said:

This is not just WoW community. Entire gaming communities are all like this full of toxicity even toward positive changes, ideas, persons , contents and even toward own or other communities. some better some worse. This is 2021. This is how humans and Internet , virtual life evolved.

Edited by Dreamcatcher
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Calin said:

If you can't find the joke funny then it's okay unless you made a fuss about it. Didn't like the joke? Move on, you don't have to be a Karen. 

On 7/11/2021 at 7:54 PM, Elevendk said:

If you can't find the joke funny then it's okay unless you made a fuss about it. Didn't like the joke? Move on, you don't have to be a Karen. 

Complaining about a bad joke isn't a Karen move though.
Especially when you were far from the only one who felt that way.

Your opinion that people should stay quiet instead of being vocal about a dislike is super hurtful for the society.
But sure, let's all stop expressing our opinions