Ret dps check (with logs!)

Sign in to follow this  

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone! I've recently switched guilds due to schedule and IRL issues, the catch is that I was tanking 10M in the former and dpsing 25M in the later, so I'm still trying to adjust to stuff in general, we are currently progressing on Thok and, as a paladin, I'm pretty useful in that fight, but I'm still underperforming in the dps department. I am, probably, the lowest ilvl at the moment, but I think 3 points shouldn't produce as much difference as they are producing, there's another ret pally in the group so I'm kinda trying to compare myself to him, since it's the best measurement I got.

So here I am, looking for someone that knows their way around ret and can maybe draw some conclusions out of these logs I present to you:

Just in case here's my armory (and the other ret's, but he usually logs out in his pvp gear)

Any kind of feedback is welcome since I really want to pull my weight beyond raid utility. Thanks!

Well with thok, a lot of your dps will come from. 

1. Killing the boss quickly

2. Procs on Bats

3. Judging how much up time you can have on the boss.

If you REALLY want some amazing help, I'd suggest you try to pst kaisen, from reckoning when he's on (usually on an alt these days). He's someone who's helped me a bit. During progression, unless you're having issues with dps, you shouldn't really focus on that as a major factor, also ranks aren't that big a deal. But it would be nice to see what gear your guildie has, I think I've seen him around but I don't remember what he has.

Can't get a measure of the other ret's gear because of the pvp gear, but:

You're directly on par with him, and with your raid. I know already that this is probably where you should be at. Thok is a terrible fight for melee, especially for those with little speed.

The only thing I notice is that there seems to be some breaks in your holy power generating, and it seems to be leading to a little bit less Templars Verdicts than you would want.

Another note: You didn't potion a second time, you only had your pre-pot. That could help a bit but it wouldn't be a huge difference.

I really don't think there is much else you can do, but someone who has played Ret on that fight might be able to find more information on it than I have.

Thok is a tough fight to measure "pure dps" on. If you want to go toe-to-toe, try comparing logs on Malkorok and Iron Juggernaut. If you really want to see how good your DPS with mechanics being a factor, try comparing on Siegecrafter (if you're on belts) and Klaxxi (avoiding damage, dps'ing right target etc).

How do you guys even see these things?! Someone teach me to read logs :(

My favorite graph on Warcraflogs is the Casts tab, you can just click the spell name in the list of spells on the graph and itll show each time it was used over the course of the fight. Then I can go into buffs and see when buffs were used, its all pretty excellent.

How do you guys even see these things?! Someone teach me to read logs sad.png

SW vs HoW casts

Used a Crus+TV during 4pc proc.

Shows Sacred Shield not being used, and only one BoP going out, suggesting that they should be more defensive to help healers (for Thok progress) and possibly drop Unbreakable for Clemency for more healer CDs.

Two spots where they HP cap and still use another builder highlighted here:

and here:

This second one, they should've used a spender instead of a builder at 4, because HoW is what makes them go over the cap.

And from this, we can see that they correctly waited until they had 12 stacks to use ES.

Although their first Inquis came 6 seconds after AW was started, which means

They have two HoWs go off before Inquis.

Oh man, do I ever love logs...

• Like 3

Oh Boy! I guess logs do contain A LOT of information. At one point I thought you were going to guess I didn't trimmed my nails before raid that day xP

On a more serious note, I'll keep an eye to the flaws you pointed out, I think they all come down to perfecting the rotation.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to analyze it!