FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Production on World of Warcraft Impacted by Ongoing Lawsuit

MDpQXCp.jpg

According to Jeff Hamilton, Senior System Designer on Warcraft, there's almost no work being done on World of Warcraft right now.  

Due to the ongoing lawsuit, WoW development seems to have been temporarily impacted, which benefits nobody, not players, not the developers, or shareholders, according to Senior System Designer Jeff Hamilton.

Placeholder for tweet 1419115702569472003

We are not sure at this time if this will delay Patch 9.2 or even 9.1.5, depending on what will be unveiled in the near future (likely at Gamescom).

Source: Reddit

Edited by Vlad
Reworded the title and second paragraph to make it seem less like there is an official halt of production, and more that it is simply disrupted.
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 4

20 minutes ago, Giftedbryan said:

They are literally keeping the game hostage now. How smart of them. I think I'll just join Asmongold in FF14 then.

I'm just sitting back and enjoying this shitshow

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Prophet001 said:

EDITED OUT

So I’m a little confused here. What exactly is your point in posting this thought? Because it sounds to me like you’re making a wildly unfounded, completely uncaring, and to be honest blatantly racist accusation at the development team of FFXIV because of some anecdote you heard somewhere sometime. Are you leveling a complaint or making an accusation? Do you have proof to back up your statement? Are you defending Blizzard’s behavior? Are you trying to say Blizzard is not that bad because “look I can think up other examples that I deem as worse?”

Because let me tell you in my mind, you are the problem.

• Like 6

36 minutes ago, Liquidsoul7 said:

So I’m a little confused here. What exactly is your point in posting this thought? Because it sounds to me like you’re making a wildly unfounded, completely uncaring, and to be honest blatantly racist accusation at the development team of FFXIV because of some anecdote you heard somewhere sometime. Are you leveling a complaint or making an accusation? Do you have proof to back up your statement? Are you defending Blizzard’s behavior? Are you trying to say Blizzard is not that bad because “look I can think up other examples that I deem as worse?”

Blizzard's behaviour is disgusting. I have no inside knowledge of the FFXIV development team but let's not pretend that Japanese culture is not still deeply misogynistic, ranked 120th in the Global Gender Gap Index the second lowest among advanced economies (slightly edging out Turkey ffs).

Edited by Nym85
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Why keep the game hostage though, what are the employees supposed to do, watch the news? Disastrous management 1.0.1

• Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Liquidsoul7 said:

boy that escalated quickly guess he found a trigger

You should educate yourself about japanese culture and the state of the women
there are improvements over the last years but there still problems and pointing that out is not racsist or do you wanna shield offenders because of racial motivations?

• Like 1

This is just bullshit clickbait. One dude says 'almost' no work is getting done because people are upset by the allegations. He doesnt say production is officially halted.

1 hour ago, Nym85 said:

I have no inside knowledge of the FFXIV development

I dont either but here's someone who does:

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Prophet001 said:

No...

It's not.

It is. Groping people against their will is a criminal offense. Clearly you know nothing.

Edited by Arcling
  • Thanks 1

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/02/world/asia/japan-survey-of-working-women-says-sexual-harassment-is-widespread.html

"The next most common was unwanted touching at 40 percent"

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/07/29/japans-not-so-secret-shame

"Over 95 percent of incidents of sexual violence in Japan are not reported to the police according to government figures, and for good reason"

By law it is a crime, just because people are afraid to report it doesn't make it normal.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Arcling said:

By law it is a crime, just because people are afraid to report it doesn't make it normal.

I mean I don't see how that is relevant? If anything it means that even if it happens in that studio at a much worse level, we are very unlikely to ever find out.

1 hour ago, Nym85 said:

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/03/02/world/asia/japan-survey-of-working-women-says-sexual-harassment-is-widespread.html

"The next most common was unwanted touching at 40 percent"

https://www.hrw.org/news/2018/07/29/japans-not-so-secret-shame

"Over 95 percent of incidents of sexual violence in Japan are not reported to the police according to government figures, and for good reason"

You do know that the US does a terrible job with women's safety and sexual assault reporting here, right?

https://www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system

Sexual assault and women's safety to report and expect justice is a global issue. This is not unique to Japan. Or America. While some countries might tip a little higher or more likely lower, America has literally zero stones to throw at this issue on basis some racist whatabouting. 

You're derailing the argument and none of us are stupid enough to follow on it. Save your racist spiel for somewhere else.  This is about an American company abusing women in it's employ, primarily women of color. We're talking about Blizzard here. That's it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Man, for real, i wasnt expecting this to happen, at least, not this quick, i'm really apreensive now.

Good news everyone! Lawsuit against blizz cancelled! The suicide that was caused by blizz employees passing a woman's nudes around has been reversed! All the drunken harassment over a DECADE is now null and void!

Because people gripe people in Japan we can forget about all the pain and suffering at blizzard!

What an EXCELLENT Point Prophet001! Truly amazing! You have single handedly defended blizzard from this lawsuit and successfully denied the pain and suffering of women! Aren't you proud! "People grope people in Japan" just blew this whole thing out of the water!

No really, fantastic work buddy! A+ 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Caleb95 said:

Why keep the game hostage though, what are the employees supposed to do, watch the news? Disastrous management 1.0.1

I don't think they are keeping anything hostage.  They are outraged, confused and traumatized by how cavalier the official response was.  Not just the victims but there probably were a lot of people who worked there and knew SOMETHING wasn't right but maybe wasn't sure how bad, or those whose friends were hurt in all this.  Also, this is REALLY bad and if they don't feel like they want to do work when a company is being that crappy, I can't say I blame them.

I understand that their job is to create the game, but right now, a lot of people are in pain, and having to wait longer for content doesn't seem all that important in the face of all the human suffering that's been revealed.  Give them a break, and let them get their bearing.

Edited by Sarabandethemage

"almost no work is being done on World of Warcraft right now"

So business as usual then? lol, sorry couldn't resist.

• Haha 6

As someone who has grown up in Japan and lived there for half of my life, yes I can confirm groping of women on the trains is and has been a serious problem. Saying Japanese culture is "normalizing" this action is a dodgy statement without solid grounds.

In my opinion, just because a crime is occurring frequently, you wouldn't say society and culture of that location "normalizes" said action or crime.

I wish Icy-Veins wouldn't take a simple statement out of context and make it seem like Blizzard or the developers have purposely halted production of the game.  If you read Jeff's entire thread, you'll see he expanded on that thought.  I take it to mean that the mood at Blizzard is such that people can't focus on their work, which is understandable right now. 

Jeff.png

Hahah! How many of us left WOW months ago and are now enjoying FFXIV? I hope it continues because at least one game developer cares about the players and has no shame in listening and learning!

Edit: I am a woman and I live in Canada. I do not and will not judge a country based on the acts of a few people. I support women, I support men and I proudly support FFXIV and the company that maintains it.

Edited by Wildwitch
  • Like 1