FORUMS
Sinzhu

Mage PvP

Guest Quandary

Keep yourself alive with Ice Barrier, pretty difficult as a fire mage using no frost talent build?

1 hour ago, Guest Quandary said:

Keep yourself alive with Ice Barrier, pretty difficult as a fire mage using no frost talent build?

Good point, typo that escaped revision (was meant to be Mana Shield), already sent in a fix, should be live soon, thanks 🙂

Great guide, I only have one question. Why do you choose Molten Armor in pvp against casters over Mage armor? Thx 

Edited by STORMIE

On 1/11/2022 at 8:32 PM, STORMIE said:

Great guide, I only have one question. Why do you choose Molten Armor in pvp against casters over Mage armor? Thx 

Mages are often all about burst, hence the damage benefits of +3% crit and -5% chance to be crit helps you more in short and bursty games than extra Mana Regeneration and small resist bonus, which is great in longer, control oriented games.

Think I should input a note on Mage Armor being great for prolonged battles such as the ones against Warlock / Healer comp, thanks for the feedback!

• Like 1

Guest IceCoob

Curious as to whats the best replacement for MQG since its banned from arena now? Im guessing Icon or SSC mage trinket??

Guest Matt

Hello. Curious on two gear changes from the P2 Frost Mage PVP BIS Guide.

1. The neck and belt slots previously listed PvP honor gear “of Dominance” and “Dreadweave” respectively, which has now been changed to “of Conquest” and “Silk”. The rings still remain as “of Dominance”. Just trying to follow the logic behind these choices in terms of stat priority.

2. The weapon enchant was previously listed as Soulfrost, which has now been changed to Major Spellpower. Looking at the Frost Mage PvP Guide, it appears that only frost spells are mentioned for PvP usage. I could see Fireblast being used in PvP on a Frost Mage, but that spell has such a low coefficient. Also just trying to follow the logic here.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help with this.

15 hours ago, Guest IceCoob said:

Curious as to whats the best replacement for MQG since its banned from arena now? Im guessing Icon or SSC mage trinket??

Hi IceCoob,

the replacement is Skull of Gul'Dan when you get it and until then you may use other burst trinkets, such as Icon or Serpent-Coil Braid.

14 hours ago, Guest Matt said:

Hello. Curious on two gear changes from the P2 Frost Mage PVP BIS Guide.

1. The neck and belt slots previously listed PvP honor gear “of Dominance” and “Dreadweave” respectively, which has now been changed to “of Conquest” and “Silk”. The rings still remain as “of Dominance”. Just trying to follow the logic behind these choices in terms of stat priority.

2. The weapon enchant was previously listed as Soulfrost, which has now been changed to Major Spellpower. Looking at the Frost Mage PvP Guide, it appears that only frost spells are mentioned for PvP usage. I could see Fireblast being used in PvP on a Frost Mage, but that spell has such a low coefficient. Also just trying to follow the logic here.

Thank you so much in advance for your time and help with this.

Hello Matt,

as you can see, the new BiS list is designed for more burstyness in mind (Skull, Zhardoom etc.), as top Mage PvPers think this will be the new meta. Therefore the necklace option also shifted to a more bursty version, as well as Bracers, Weapon, Belt, Rings and Trinket (previously MQG for obvious reasons).
The weapon enchant is listed as Major Spellpower, so this list applies for Frost and Fire (Pom Pyro spec) at the same time. You are free to change the enchant to Soulfrost, if you are strictly using Frost spells and I think I will update this part of the guide with more information, so this question is answered within the guide.

Thank you both for your valueable feedback! I hope I could answer your questions 🙂

Guest Shavoo

So if you follow this guide, you only get 1 blue socket if I am not mistaken. Which means you will not get the benefit from the Meta gem recommended?

On 2/11/2022 at 1:25 AM, Guest Shavoo said:

So if you follow this guide, you only get 1 blue socket if I am not mistaken. Which means you will not get the benefit from the Meta gem recommended?

Following this guide means you will meet the meta gem requirement, because it says:

Make sure to meet your meta gem requirement with the two blue gems.

I hope this answer helps you 🙂

On 2/25/2022 at 3:09 AM, Guest David Mage said:

What is the stat priority list for Frost PVP Mage in TBC Classic?

Hi David,

the guide states

You only need 3% Spell Hit to be capped in PvP, so we will not value Spell Hit highly when considering the suggested items. Using PvP gear with Resilience is generally the way to go, but it can be useful to use some PvE items for increased DPS, especially if you have access to strong raid gear and no Gladiator gear for that slot. The benefit of Spell Haste needs to be re-evaluated during S3, so this list might change a little bit. However, it is considered to be the best option in the gear slots the list suggests Spell Haste for.

Generally you cannot say that there is a stat priority for Mages in PVP. If you use more Stamina/Resilience heavy gear, you will deal less damage at the price of becoming tankier. If you use more offensive stats like Spell Damage, Spell Crit or Spell Haste, you will deal more damage and die quicker. You have to find out for yourself if within your team you want to be more bursty or more tanky. The gear set linked in our guide is a good compromise between tanky and bursty.

Guest q-elemental talent

i hade frost/fire elemental fpr pvp and pve were i finde talent puild again. it was good for me. thänk you,

Guest Jaimonji

Note that frost nova is in the controlled roots DR category, that's why it shares DR with entangling roots or bear charge, but doesnt with frostbite, wich is in the random roots DR category, and shares DR with improved hamstring talent.