FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Jurry

Arcane Mage opener

Hello fellow mages!

I recently changed from Frost to Arcane and I am trying to figue everything out.

I followed all the guides on IV, MMO, checked You tube for some guides aswell. The dps is however lacking compared to my frost spec. I recon it has to do with my inexperience as a raiding Arcane mage, and I know you need logs etc. to be able to judge me on that, but that is not my question.

I keep seeing different opinions about the opener as an Arcane Mage. I understand you have to AB to 4 charges, pop your macro, dump AM and Barrage before AT is gone,

But when do I exactly pop my macro?

1: Pop it as soon as you have 4 charges and 2 AM procs. Trinkets didnt proc.

2: Pop it as soon as you have 4 charges, no AM procs. Trinket procs.

3: Pop it as soon as you have 4 charges, No AM and no Trinket procs.

I keep getting openers where one of the above can happen and I dont know if I should pop it or wait for more procs, or reset it and AB again to 4 and hopefully I get multiple procs.

Another question I have is when I should cast another AB with 4 charges? Only when I am at 100% mana? Or should I always Barrage at 4

Hopefully my problem is a bit clear!

Check the opener part in this video:

Also voltaa's guide is very good :)

I have seen those, and they give me some good feedback. However they say to use the macro when you have 4 charges en 2 missile procs. But they say nothing about if I have to wait for trinket procs aswell, or what to do when I am on four charges without missile procs.

*Edit* 
Voltaa actually said something about it, wich I didnt get in the first watch. Stupid me.

So use macro if you get 4 charge and trinket procs. No missile procs is bad luck, but still have to pop it.

Should I still pop it tho if I get to 4 charge, with 2 Missile procs but no trinket procs?

The first video only says I should use it with 4 charge and 2 missiles procs... they say nothing about trinket procs.

Edited by Jurry

No it doesn't say it because you shouldn't use it. Trinkets are incredibly important for Arcane no need to wait it out.

So I should only pop the macro when I have trink procs aswell?

4 charge and 2 missile and no trinket procs means no macro use?

Exactly. Use AM + ABl (with 2pac) to fish for the PboI proc.
Fireblast. Whatever you can. If you are extremely unlucky just Arcane Barrage and try again.

Exactly. Use AM + ABl (with 2pac) to fish for the PboI proc.

Fireblast. Whatever you can. If you are extremely unlucky just Arcane Barrage and try again.

Fireblast? oO

I mean, ok I can understand that you are fishing for procs.. But fireblast? :D Counterspell is alright, it's off CD, but wasting GCDs should not be a usual process imo.

Pardon me if this was suggested somewhere and I am blind, I am not playing arcane at all. But I highly doubt that a fireblast is worth it in an opening rotation.. :)

Yea I forgot to mention counterspell. Fireblast is basically if you are desperate for a proc and should never be used as a priority of any kind. It's obviously not optimal though ^^ Far from it

Edited by Berlinia

I think it is. You have to think, should you fire blast to proc PBoI and keep 4 stacks, or have to ArBarr to reset and ramp up again to proc it, and by the time you've ramped you that 2nd time you've lost meta/ktt.

It's a risk but a worthwhile one. If PBoI doesnt proc by that time anyway you're not gunna do the sick deeps anyway.

Also I've been looking into fire blasting for arcane in the rotation. There's a top Malkorok log with 13 uses. I watched the guys stream and he uses it quite a bit. I can't work out why as there isn't a definite pattern, i need to ask him about it. But he's one of the highest arcane performers out there atm so something is going right for him.

• Like 1

Also I've been looking into fire blasting for arcane in the rotation. There's a top Malkorok log with 13 uses. I watched the guys stream and he uses it quite a bit. I can't work out why as there isn't a definite pattern, i need to ask him about it. But he's one of the highest arcane performers out there atm so something is going right for him.

I think for movement makes sense. Does he use it outside of that (and that PBoI proc fishing)?

I think for movement makes sense. Does he use it outside of that (and that PBoI proc fishing)?

I spoke with him today and watched his stream some more and he is always doing it at 4 stacks and no missiles in order to stay at 4 stacks for longer. Whether its a guaranteed dps increase i don't know but he does more dps than arcane than i do :p

Interesting. I tried that a few times, but it was strange. When using fireblast without AMs, then I have to wait a little longer to see if it proc'ed. Always bothered me a bit. Guess I have to refine my methods a bit smile.png

I have found FB to only be useful when Thok acceleration demands instant casts and AB is on cooldown. In that situation, Bomb up is first priority, AB on cd, Ice Lance and FB as filler. Plus that part of the fight is short enough that you don't lose much in the way of damage using off-spec spells which do more damage than an interrupted blast or missile proc.

Lynx a little tip.
What i do (and most arcane mages do) is after you cast any spell at 4 stacks hit your Arcane Missiles keybind (mine is 2)
So at 4 stacks I do
Arcane Missiles
Arcane Blast
Quicky Press Arcane missiles and then immediately after Arcane barrage
If you proc Arcane Missiles then you shall use Arcane missiles and you have an entire Global to queue up Arcane Blast after that to weave properly :)
Hope this tip helps you. if you don't understand it ask for more clarification
Cheers
Berlinia