FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
ncnash083

[Holy] Selfless Healer Questions

Greetings,

I've come in search of some answers to tighten up what to me seems like a pretty sloppy method of healing.  I enjoyed the nearly infinite mana the SH spec offered me but I am rather confused on what to use and when.  I understand the basic concept of the spec but I find myself confused about Daybreak procs and how high I should let my SH procs stack.  Should I even bother to use Daybreak procs or just Holy Shock when folks need it?  Using a Holy Shock with a Daybreak x2 seems pretty good but when I am waiting to use Holy Raidance with SH, Daybreak doesn't really build up.

Maybe I'm completely lost but I'm really hoping to find some advice on how to play this spec properly.  I want to try it on a more regular basis and not suck completely at it.  Thank You.

I don't have much experience with the spec, but I didn't hold on to my SH procs or daybreak stacks or anything. I just used judgment and holy shock on CD, occasioanlly Flash the tank for more, and Holy Radiance when needed. Then used all my HP on Light of Dawn (all this is AoE healing talk). I haven't tanked healed with the build yet, and I have like 1 week of experience with SH, but I did fine.

I'm sure Geoda or someone else with a holy paladin can give some better knowledge on the subject.

• Like 2

@Ncnash083 : I think you are overthinking this :D

Here's some basic ideas on how you should be using the Selfless Healer build:

The basic "Rotation" of Selfless Healer is: Judgement > Holy Radiance > Holy Shock > Light of Dawn / Word of Glory

This enables you to charge 1 Selfless Healer proc, enabling you 35% faster cast, 35% reduced mana and 20% increase effectiveness of your next healing spell (Holy Radiance). At which point you proc a charge of Day break, enabling your next Holy Shock to splash heal a 10 yd of 75% of your original healing done amongst the others. You then u have 3 charges of Holy Power and can release it all via a Light of Dawn or Word of Glory.

That is what you do in the "rotation". However, there are other situations that may arise and this is what I recommend..

No healing needing to be don? At this point you want to always use Judgement and Holy Shock on CD. This gives Holy Power and starts adding up your Selfless Healer proc.

Lots of aoe damage? Use Judgement on CD and spam 2 holy radiances on a target that is clusted with other members, then use a holy shock on that same player, then use a Light of Dawn (you'll have 3 charges of Holy Power).

Lots of tank damage? Use Judgement on CD and either use the above method, or use Divine Light 2 times on tank (hopefully it's your Beacon) and then use Word of Glory on the tank (you'll have 3 charges of Holy Power).

Mixed damage? This is where you can mix in both styles.

The above is really a guideline and should not be used indefinitely. Healing is a very reactive job and you might fall out of your "rotation" very often. You really just need to remember what each spell does and kind of prepare and "build" up a 5 second window of abilities to accomplish your mission: AoE damage, Tank damage, no damage or mixed damage.

I hope this helps and let me know if you're confused on anything. I wrote this up in a haste since it is a Saturday evening. ;)

• Like 6

Excellent post Geoda, that helps me understand the build a bit more :) I remember learning something around that for the rotation for Thok and was just winging it for most of it :P

That helps a lot, thanks.  I guess you're right, I was mainly just trying it out for the first time and there seemed like a lot of possible things I could be doing.  IIRC, it's not a spirit heavy spec, and that was attractive to me.  I'm still gearing up this alt, 530ilevel, and I am just trying to find the playstyle that suits me the most.

Lots of aoe damage? Use Judgement on CD and spam 2 holy radiances on a target that is clusted with other members, then use a holy shock on that same player, then use a Light of Dawn (you'll have 3 charges of Holy Power).

Shouldn't you LoD before Holy shock (since you just did judge->HR->HR.) So you don't waste the HP. COME ON YODA, DETAILS.

Or is daybreak really short duration.

Shouldn't you LoD before Holy shock (since you just did judge->HR->HR.) So you don't waste the HP. COME ON YODA, DETAILS.

Or is daybreak really short duration.

Good question Krazy, but I'd have to disagree. Thanks to trade_archaeology_gemmeddrinkingcup.jpgBoundless Conviction we can now store 2 additional Holy Power. Daybreak is a 10 second proc (not long but not short either). By using your Holy Shock early, and getting the 4th charge of Holy Power, you enable yourself to start your Holy Shock cooldown 1 GCD early. 

Obviously you could use LoD and then Holy Shock since you do have a 3 HP but you are not wasting any HP by using Holy Shock before instead. It really comes down to preference. I like to use my Holy Shock right after my 2 HR's because it's fresh in my mind that I have 2 stacks of Daybreak. If I use LoD, I may forget about my stacks and move onto another spell "rotation".

But here's another reason why I like to use Judge > HR > HR > HS > LoD:

Judgement is a 5 sec CD. After the 2 HR casts (~2 secs per HR), I now have 1 sec left on my Judgement CD. If I use a LoD, my Judgement is then now off CD and I am at the choice of using Judgement or Holy Shock (I still haven't used Holy Shock yet). Instead, I feel it's better to use Holy Shock right after the 2 HR's because Judgement still has 1 sec left on CD anyway. 

Either way, the CD's don't line up for a "perfect" rotation. This is just, in my opinion, the most efficient way. 

Edit: had some typo's I wanted to fix. I also have another thing I wanted to mention too. Regardless if you want to use LoD or Holy Shock first, you're still going to have 1 extra HP afterwards. Since Daybreak stacks 2 times max, using 2 Holy Radiances will maximize this proc. You need to use Judgement to make use of the Selfless Healer talent too, this gives 3 HP's without using Holy Shock yet. This is just something to note.

Edited by Krazyito
You're bad at links.
  • Like 3

The basic "Rotation" of Selfless Healer is: Judgement > Holy Radiance > Holy Shock > Light of Dawn / Word of Glory

This enables you to charge 1 Selfless Healer proc, enabling you 35% faster cast, 35% reduced mana and 20% increase effectiveness of your next healing spell (Holy Radiance). At which point you proc a charge of Day break, enabling your next Holy Shock to splash heal a 10 yd of 75% of your original healing done amongst the others. You then u have 3 charges of Holy Power and can release it all via a Light of Dawn or Word of Glory.

That is what you do in the "rotation". However, there are other situations that may arise and this is what I recommend..

No healing needing to be don? At this point you want to always use Judgement and Holy Shock on CD. This gives Holy Power and starts adding up your Selfless Healer proc.

Lots of tank damage? Use Judgement on CD and either use the above method, or use Divine Light 2 times on tank (hopefully it's your Beacon) and then use Word of Glory on the tank (you'll have 3 charges of Holy Power).

The above is really a guideline and should not be used indefinitely. Healing is a very reactive job and you might fall out of your "rotation" very often. You really just need to remember what each spell does and kind of prepare and "build" up a 5 second window of abilities to accomplish your mission: AoE damage, Tank damage, no damage or mixed damage.

I hope this helps and let me know if you're confused on anything. I wrote this up in a haste since it is a Saturday evening. wink.png

Geoda, you've no idea of how much you helped me with this! If it where possible, i would triple-like that post biggrin.png

I have followed your 'recipe' and did quite well on my first healing job wink.png

Thanks a lot!

• Like 2

@Ncnash083 : I think you are overthinking this biggrin.png

I hope this helps and let me know if you're confused on anything. I wrote this up in a haste since it is a Saturday evening. wink.png

@Geoda:

Just a suggestion, but wouldn't it be nice to have some Pala Healing Guide in the forum?

I thought of something like this:

https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/5328-restoration-54-guide-i-wanna-tree-the-very-best/

Would give a 'Like' and 'Sticky' for that biggrin.png

You know, I was thinking about doing something like that. I just didn't know if it was too late in the expansion to give such a detailed guide on healing. Still think it would be valuable?

• Like 2

I'll start doing some outline work for WoD during the Beta! Thanks for the suggestion!

• Like 2

The short answer: No.

Long answer: No, but you may want to look into balancing your stats Mastery/Int if you heal with other classes that have absorbs *cough* Disc Priests. Personally, after I was able to obtain 60% Mastery, I decided to then regem/reforge my gear with a Mastery/Int balance. I only lost 8% total Mastery but gained close to 15k Int (or something, this was a few months ago and I never wrote it down). With higher Int I was able to give my Light of Dawn, Word of Glory and Holy Radiance, the main spells you'll be using with a Selfless Healer build, stronger throughput and direct reactive healing.

Mastery is by far the strongest stat you want as a Holy Paladin and one could argue that you can never have too much. However, if you find your other heals aren't hitting hard enough when the HP actually dips, or your other spells have tremendously high overhealing %.. you may want to start balancing it out.

• Like 1