FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
lawrence131

Max damage Prot build

Is gemming for STR a dps gain over parry?  STR increases parry chance but you only get half as much of it (160 STR vs 320 parry per gem), so you would get a partial benefit from more parries = more revenge but not quite as much as pure parry gems.

However, every revenge and basically every ability would hit harder with more STR.

In the same sense, is Dancing Steel the best enchant since the STR it gives boosts avoidance just as much as River, but also gives a big DPS boost?

So once a guild is on farm mode and dying is almost out of the question and clearing as fast as possible is your goal, is it feasible to go Full STR build instead of full parry/dodge?  Or does the extra revenges and crit from parry gems out damage a STR build straight out?

Riposte takes into account ONLY avoidance from dodge and parry rating. Gemming full strength would lose you a massive amount of crit and gain you a pitiful amount of strength. You get two points of AP for every point of strength. You probably have somewhere around 20 gem slots, so you'd get about 6500 strength from gems and therefore about 13000 AP. 13000 compared to the hundreds of thousands you get from Vengeance is not going to be noticeable. Comparing this to parry/dodge. I have 31k combined rating, so gems account for nearly a fifth of my avoidance. Dancing Steel would be an immense DPS loss as well.

If you want more Revenges, make sure you are balancing your DR as well as possible.

thanks man, i was specced so wrong not even funny lol.  Doing Flex raids in full prideful all STR/Crit and since it's relatively low level it worked out fine - probably since I had so much crit I had a ton of uptime on Sblk and Sbar.  i saw the top WOL prot warriors were all using STR trinkets so I thought full STR/CRIT build could work, but they're doing it more since not many trinkets that have a ton of parry/dodge I guess.  i'm taking less dmg now going full avoidance and got 2 piece prot bonus now so Flex is pretty easy even in mostly prideful gear.

A similar question, I seem to be parrying quite a bit now so I'm getting tons of revenge's already, especially if tanking 2+ mobs.  Once I hit a certain point and it seems like there are more than enough revenge procs, would I gain a little dps giving up some dodge/parry for CRIT?  Like CRIT/PARRY red slots, CRIT/DODGE blue slots?  Even without nearly as much avoidance as high tanks, riposte buff is essentially already permanent.

Is there a point where the 33% extra crit from pure crit vs 75% conversion from riposte overcomes a few extra revenge procs or because avoidance DR's because there are not enough GCD's to constantly revenge?  Or do you think the slight gain in CRIT going this way will never be significant enough to make up for losing revenge procs?

Top WOL rankings are not necessarily a benchmark. In order to rank very highly on a significant number of fights, one must scumbag and in doing so, hurt your raid. An example of this is ranking on Siegecrafter. You can keep the add alive long enough for Death From Above and get very high numbers by using the damage buff at that time or you can kill it as swiftly as possible and save your raid the excess raid-wide damage. Your first and foremost job as a tank is to be a benefit for your raid. That said, trying to have a high DPS output while also performing your job as a tank makes you a benefit to your team.

If you want absolute max crit, you would go hard avoidance on your gear and hard crit for your gems except where set bonuses would give you avoidance. Crit/parry would work for red, but dodge and crit are both yellow. For damage output, I like the Garrosh crit trinket, Curse of Hubris.

When taking many mobs, you'll be bombarded with Revenge procs even in a mastery build. Your total avoidance matters more for tanking only one mob. A slight loss of avoidance is probably not going to matter noticeably as far as Revenge procs go, though with your Prideful gear, it may be more significant.