FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Grimnath

Elem Shaman - Need Few Advice

hey guys, thx for great guides so far i took a lot of advice from your guides and replies. but i feel kinda uncomfortable for gearing; reforging, gemming + talent choices, since there are a lot of advice topics but most of advices for 570+ ilvl so i'll ask for some help for my decent geared shaman. here is my armory link,

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/twisting-nether/Grimnath/advanced

i guess my talents are fine but i'm kinda struck about mastery vs haste atm.

i'll post my logs in a few days after i find out how to do smile.png

Edited by Grimnath

I'm afraid I can't help you that much on talents (that's much more Hybrys' realm of expertise), but I know that after you get the Legendary Meta Gem, Haste gets a lot less useful to you. My approach would be to stack a ton of Mastery, with Haste next in priority. The basic reason seems to be that the LMG proc give you ALL THE HASTE. :)

I saw someone mention that if you're running Elemental Blast, you don't want to go above a certain % Mastery because the max is 100% and you don't want to go above that when you get an EB Mastery proc. I did a rough calculation, and I think that level is about 88% Mastery. Can someone confirm that for me (pretty please?)

Ty for reply Stoove, i have used simcraft addon few times, there is weight of stats; int was like 5 and mastery-haste was equal below int, so i wonder if i should gem for int.

My understanding is that it's sub-optimal to gem for Intellect, because of the sheer power which Mastery and Haste give you. However I'm not an expert regarding that, so if Hybrys contradicts me it's him you should listen to.

Where is "that damn cactaur", anyway?

Where is "that damn cactaur", anyway?

As someone who works at 6am daily, ASLEEP!

Hi Grim, and welcome to Icy-Veins.  I see you're going through the EB vs UF debate, aren't you?

Elemental Blast vs Unleashed Fury is a pretty hard discussion.

Unleashed Fury is the better talent, if you can execute it's benefits properly.  This includes not spending Unleash Flame on Flame Shock (as it cannot Mastery repeat), limiting your instant casts during the debuffs uptime (as only LB and LvB benefit from it), and making sure to cast it close to it's CD (as holding past it's cooldown is significantly more punishing than EB)

If you do it right, it can offer a small increase (to the tune of about 3%) over EB, and can allow you to better play with stats, as you don't have the aforementioned Mastery cap.

I prefer Elemental Blast.  With EB, the only complication that it adds is when to cast it, and specific stat caps.  When using EB, because it can give you 3500 Mastery, you want your Mastery to be around 87.4%, so that when it procs, you won't be wasting any stats.  After you're at 87.4% Mastery, you can keep dumping into Haste, and replace Mastery gems with Haste gems instead. And then you just fit it into your typical rotation:

Maintain Flame Shock > Lava Burst > Elemental Blast > Fulmination @ 6-7 stacks > Lightning Bolt

Re: Stats.  Haste still maintains a pretty high value after you get your LMG, but Mastery does indeed pull ahead.  I usually suggest that people try to stick around 30% Haste then go into Mastery, just because the playstyle feels smoother...  But Mastery is definitely the better stat.

In SimCraft, it'll let you know the stat weights of each stat at a 1:1 ratio.  So if SimCraft says that Int is worth 5.2, it means that 1 Int is worth 5.2 points.  If SimCraft also says that Mastery is worth 3, it means that 1 Mastery is worth 3 points.  Since you get double the secondary stats on gems (IE: You only get 160 Int on a pure Int, but you get 320 Mastery on a pure Mastery), the lower point is actually higher.  That 160 int gem is worth 832 points, but the Mastery gem is worth 960 points.

Does that make sense?  Secondary stat gems should be preferred, matching sockets when you can use the bonus.  Red: Int/Mastery or Int/Haste.  Yellow: Mastery or Haste.  Blue: Spirit/Int.

Make sure when you do log, that you use WarcraftLogs, and you go into your WoW, Options --> Network, and enable Advanced Combat Logging.  That way I'll be able look at things like capping Lightning Shield stacks, Lava Burst timing, and things like that.

• Like 1

thx for ratio explanation, simcraft makes sense now, thx mate. so, i ll try to hit %30 haste and gem + reforge for mastery.

i'll try to upload logs here at my first raid.

thx for ratio explanation, simcraft makes sense now, thx mate. so, i ll try to hit %30 haste and gem + reforge for mastery.

i'll try to upload logs here at my first raid.

Very cool, I'm looking forward to taking a look at it.

Oh, and I assumed that your item level was a bit higher.  Since your item level is still under 570, UF isn't actually a gain now.  Once you get a Heroic weapon, then you should start to see the gain there, if you're really good at it.

Good luck in there!

hehehe, thats why i asked for advice since most of advice threads are for 570+ gear.

i guess i can pull optimum dps with my gear but i just started to play MoP( about 2.5 months), anyway thx, cy after logs.