FORUMS
Damien

Monk

Guest Eviil
On 11/4/2021 at 12:53 PM, Damien said:

This thread is for comments about our Monk job guide.

What would you recommend before that? or should i just jump in with a mixture of 570/590 gear

Guest Atma

Have question about macros, and I know that they are not optimal, but is there any reason not to bind true strike + snap punch (or twin snakes + demolish) into one button (Since neither skill can be used unless the other has already been triggered)? I ask cuz somewhat limited use of left hand means I want to put most of the important skills on the right side (Am using cross bar setup on controller with extended layout, and would like options to reduce icon bloat, if at all able, ie: if two skills do not interfere with the other and/or do not share cooldowns, why can't you macro them together?)

On 5/1/2022 at 1:22 AM, Guest Atma said:

Have question about macros, and I know that they are not optimal, but is there any reason not to bind true strike + snap punch (or twin snakes + demolish) into one button (Since neither skill can be used unless the other has already been triggered)? I ask cuz somewhat limited use of left hand means I want to put most of the important skills on the right side (Am using cross bar setup on controller with extended layout, and would like options to reduce icon bloat, if at all able, ie: if two skills do not interfere with the other and/or do not share cooldowns, why can't you macro them together?)

Yeah so there's a couple of reasons to not do this. First and foremost is the standard "macro bad" reasoning, which is that macros are not queueable and so realistically you should never be macroing GCDs, alongside the <wait.X> function not supporting decimals. Secondly is that you aren't always going to be doing True -> Snap, or Twin -> Demo; Twin -> Snap and True -> Demo happen in the rotation, so you will be hurting yourself by only ever doing True ->Snap/Twin->Demo. 
All I can really advise is to keep tweaking your hotbar until you find a comfortable, workable solution for your situation. GCDs and Forbidden Chakra are going to be things you'll likely want on the right side as they're getting pressed a lot, but just about every other skill is either a decently long cooldown or situational enough that they should be safe for you to throw on the left.

Guest Atma

Well not so much macro but more that both skills tied to same button (and again one can only be used if the other was already) so I could go twin into demo by pressing first the first one (that has twin and snap) and then the other (Since pressing the 2nd 'macro' would have to use the 2nd of the 2 skills)

There are no 'timers' in any of them, just bound two skills to one button and (at least so far) i have not had it fail to use the intended skill (Like if I want to skip demo and instead use snap in each rotation yet use twin every cycle for the enlightened fists)

Other than the wait time thing(which from what I read seems to be the only real issue about macros) am trying to figure out a single situation where (at least in the above case/example) it would be a bad thing(even opening the proper beast chakra's has been pretty simple, with no need to open any chain with demo, as example)

just to clarify again that there are no wait timers, at all. And other than those, why can't you bind multiple skills(even if just 2) that share different cooldowns and are reliant on other skills to have been used first.(like is there some example I am not knowing of where I would need to use a demo or snap without first having used twin/true?)

Guest BagMan65

The Manderville Weapon Gar Set seems to be missing from the BiS gear page.

Guest Marcel

About Six-Sided Star: yes it's a niche whomp for things like right before you run out of melee range, but it's notable that not all your skills are on the GCD, especially Forbidden Chakra and the Riddles. 

Yes, it's still a terrible idea to try to make it part of any sane rotation, it can be noted that you can, for instance, use SSS as you proc your 5th Chakra because you can then immediately Forbidden Chakra; you can use any or all of your Riddles right before or after that; Mantra, Second Wind and Bloodbath all remain usable during SSS' extended cooldown; etc.

So while its best use is still opportunistic, there are more good chances to use it than it might initially seem. For example while Disciplined Fist and Riddle of Fire are both up is a good time to SSS -> Forbidden Chakra; right before heavy raid damage or confusing movement, add Mantra to that as well; etc. It's probably not a huge difference maker, but i'm betting some of you out there can take this idea and make better use of it than I have so far, and my results aren't horrible.

On 7/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, Guest Martu said:

Like the leveling guide but it never mentions Meditation

Thanks for the feedback, I shall add in a mention. It's basically a skill you only use if you physically can't hit a target, then you Forbidden Chakra more or less as soon as possible to ensure you don't overcap.

On 5/12/2023 at 2:55 AM, biledriver said:

I've always been curious.  I've been following this guide, but I want to know what yr pc keybinds look like for this and why.  Mine is probably very bad..

ffxiv_05112023_215055_198.png

Keybinds are pretty subjective, as long as it works for you and is comfortable you're honestly fine. A couple of general recommendations I have for people is to keep skills you're pressing often - so our base GCDs on Monk like Bootshine, True Strike etc - on keys that you can reach easily and comfortably so you don't get any kind of hand cramping or pains, and then buttons that have a lower frequency of use like RoF as a once per minute or Brotherhood as a once per 2 minute can be "wherever else", more or less. In your case I'd recommend unbinding things like the ninja gearset and food, since you're potentially going to want those spots for other skills later on as you level. 

Personally I use an MMO mouse so my bindings aren't really comparable if you don't also have a 12 side button mouse to leverage for keybind space, but I included a screenshot of it anyway for what it's worth.

hotbar.png

In the leveling portion of the guide the dps rotation seems to disappear after level 53, I assume this is a bug?

As for the Buffing Actions section (around level 52) I'm having a little trouble parsing the sentence, What I think it's saying is after you use (twin-snakes -> demolish -> opo gcd), use perfect balance and then use the next two opo gcd abilities (i.e. bootshine -> perfect balance -> dragon kick -> bootshine or dragon kick -> perfect balance -> bootshine -> dragon kick) am I understanding that correctly?

Guest FFXIV newbie

Is Form Shift not used at all in level 52? I just got the ability, but it's not mentioned.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:11 AM, Guest FFXIV newbie said:

Is Form Shift not used at all in level 52? I just got the ability, but it's not mentioned.

Hi there! Form Shift is used to swap to specific combo actions while not actively attacking enemies. For example, if a boss jumps and there's downtime, you can Form Shift to Demolish to get your DoT back on the boss instantly. Pressing it in the middle of an active rotation will only cost you damage and should be avoided.