FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Reiska

New Brewmaster. Secondary stat prioritization?

Before I start, Ive been reading a lot of brewmaster blogs/guides or whatever and from what I see its highly personal preference regarding which secondary stats to prioritize. I really like BREWMONKSTA'S post here but I still have one question.

My brewmaster is NOT my main, and he'll probably only ever make it into *Shudder* LFR, and maybe FLEX.

So considering LFR's high failure rate, would it be better for my raid, and myself, to go with the mastery/stamina build, or to continue getting items for the crit/4500 haste like BREWMONKSTA so suggested?

Once again, I know its personal preference, I just like shooting ideas off of people. Any thoughts from you guys?

Edit: This is coming from the POV of a warrior tank, so im used to smoothing, hence the reason im thinking about this so hard.

Edited by Reiska

Hi there,

Stamina is a bad stat for monks period.

If you would prefer the smoothing style then go mastery.

It will increase your effective health pool and smooth out the damage from the bigger stagger and then purifying it off.

The mastery will help your survivability in LFR.

From a "need perspective" the stagger from shuffle and the mastery you get from gear will be enough to successfully tank LFR so a full crit build is also viable.

Happy killing :)

• Like 1

I don't think you will even notice the benefits of mastery in LFR, and the crit build will be much more enjoyable to play. You can also balance both, which I did when I started 25H and it worked pretty well.

About haste, dont let AMR or a guide tell you how much you should get, find your confort value yourself. Mine is between 6500 and 7000, but it's my own choice if you're learning to play your monk, trying a low value and rising it little by little may be a good idea.

Anyway, I advice you to try different things to find what you like the most. But you can safely gem crit to start with and balance the rest with reforge. ;)

Edited by Nyax
  • Like 1

I've been reading lots of info about Brewmasters, here and there, I see some ppl saying haste is priority, some scrubs in lfr also calling names for not been "proper" gemmed.

EIther Icyveins and noxxic, present some info, about Mastery being the best stat, but when I use MrRobot, again, it suggests me to gem/enchant for haste till a soft cap, then crit.

I would like to know, from experienced players which is the best, stay with the mastery, or roll all over into haste/crit builds ?

Which one is more effective ? Which one is healling-friendly(cause all healers I've got, called me squishy)...

Thanks for the attention, and all the help.

First off don't trust Mr. Robot with default weights.  If you say "Mr. Robot said to do this" then we automatically know that you're using it wrong.  I wrote a post here saying the importance of stat weights in Mr. Robot.

Mr. Robot doesn't tell you to do anything, YOU tell it what YOU want with the stat weights and Mr. Robot gives you what YOU want.

Next about stats, technically the "best" build is a low haste (about 4.5k-5k) and spamming crit rating.  This gives you a decent amount of survivability via elusive brew and more damage via the set bonuses.  Its also a very good for doing high damage in raid.

Next, the choice between mastery and haste and cirt depends what you want to do with your gear, and what your raid needs.  If you're doing LFR and just want to try to do more dmg, a crit > haste build would be very good.

If you're doing Normal or heroic 10 mans, a crit > haste build is also a very good choice since usually you need more damage from tanks in 10m to make checks.

If you're doing normal or heroic 25m Mastery can be more viable for survivability because the bosses are hitting harder.  Though if your healers are doing well, again crit > haste is a good choice.

Basically the only reason you're gonna want mastery is if you're taking big hits that put you in red stagger way too often.  Mastery will allow you to have bigger staggers and shrug off more damage.

Haste only helps you with energy regen, so the amount you want in ANY build depends on your playstyle and how much regen you're comfortable with.  Haste will give more damage as a result because it means more Jabs/BoK which also means higher uptime on shuffle.  

In the end, it really depends what YOU want from your gear.  Learn about what each stat does for you and decide how best you think you will benefit your raid.  As for "healing friendly" they are both the same really, it doesn't matter what you do with your gear, your playstyle and cooldown management is what determines if you're squishy.  

If you want a general answer I would say just go haste to 4.5k and then spam crit.  You'll get a decent amount of mastery from gear.

it doesn't matter what you do with your gear, your playstyle and cooldown management is what determines if you're squishy. 

So much this.

If you get your rotation down, so that you are keeping a close to 100% uptime on shuffle. You should not have a big issue with being squishy. I started as a brew master that nearly spammed BoK constantly, and on some fights I would have a full minute of shuffle up. This made me tanky enough to do LFR and Flex fairly easily, but this "style" did not translate well to Normal when I had to PB, use my Elusive Brews, and my other CDs. My healers complained that I was much less tanky than my fellow DK tank. My points to intro Brewmaster:

- Maintain Shuffle
- PB at >35% stagger
- EB at 6 or more stacks (ABUSE it when you are tanking the boss.)
-Take advantage of the versatility of your glyphs and talents for each boss. (Dampen Harm, Diffuse Magic, Glyph of Guard)
-Pay attention to the Raid Mechanics and Prep for the incoming damage with Cooldowns and PB your leftover stagger so your stagger can handle the big hits

If you want to see my mistakes and the help that I was provided by the friendly, helpful people on this forum: https://www.icy-veins.com/forums/topic/6183-brm-problems-or-raid-problems/#entry65439

Edited by theblkhawk