killsophia

Baffled by My Frost Mage DPS

7 posts in this topic

I've been tweaken my frost mage since last week I found icyveins and askmrrobot. Yesterday I did three LFRs (the 1st, 3rd, 4th Zone of SoO) and when I was trying to find out how my mage damage developed, something really baffled me.

As for the three LFRs, my equipments were http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/d72ed1a0-179c-4f53-b7d9-fd7853c9e634

(the 15.07% hit is because I upgraded my waist and decided to finish this week's loot before another turn of tweaking advice by AskMrRobot)

My combat log analysis:

For the first three bosses,

The Fallen Protectors
Norushen
Sha of Pride

I was using these three glyphs Glyph of Evocation, Glyph of Water Elemental, and Glyph of Icy Veins during these battles.

Here comes the strange thing:
I was dealing 114306 DPS in The Fallen Protectors,
                       66379 DPS in Norushen,
              and 127364 DPS in Sha of Pride.

And then I replaced Glyph of Evocation with Glyph of Splitting Ice, and did other battles in this combat log, and the DPS are:
Immerseus                      61237
Malkorok                       115596
Spoils of Pandaria          81757
Thok the Bloodthirsty     92385
Siegecrafter Blackfuse   83327
Paragons of the Klaxxi  113929
Garrosh Hellscream      108314

I was not surprised by the DPS in Spoils of Pandaria since DPSs of everyone in that battle is quite low.
But for others, especially Norushen, I feel really curious in finding out what happened.

And the more strange thing here is, if you look into my combat log, the uptime of Invoker's Energy in those 60000s battles are actually higher than others.

The last time I did the 1st Zone of SoO is several months ago so 
I don't have anything to compare to. Could anyone give me a hint, please? Especially for Norushen.

P.S. I was confused by when to use Icy Vein, Mirror Image, and Alter Time.
I bind the Icy Vein and Mirror Image into one macro, and after using this macro, I try to have an eye on when the Trinket 2 is activated and using Alter Time in its last 6 seconds ( and not very successful ) . Could anyone give me some details about when to use these spells, please?

The Norushen fight is not the best judge of dps since there is such a large damage reduction on the boss vs the players. Your dps is dependent on your corruption, If your corruption is not cleared off entirely, your dmg against him is going to suffer. Also, if you are running over the orbs that pop up because nobody else will, your dps is going to take a nose dive as well. 

Most people have their dps go from 150-200k or more, down to 50-100k or less.  But I am sure people will pick through the logs and give you a hand

Hello killsophia,

Let me split this in two parts.

Logs

Let's check sha of pride first. The prime problem I can see is you have 85% Living Bomb uptime. Disregarding the fact that your living bomb does the most damage than any of your spells over it's duration having a high uptime of it is essential for another reason. And that is that Living Bomb ticks proc Brain Freeze. From what I can see you let living bomb drop for a couple of seconds each time. Also you didn't have living bomb ticking for the first 8 seconds of the pull which is absolutely essential for your burst. Keep in mind you can refresh it anywhere before the last two ticks and it still does full damage.

Now something more essential than that.
Your Fingers of Frost procced 44 times yet you cast Ice Lance 52 times. Ice Lance does the lowest damage, even lower than Arcane Explosion on single target. If you have to move use Fireblast over Ice Lance at all times.
Also you had 45 procs of Brain Freeze and yet you only cast it 33 times. This means you either delayed Frostfire Bolt for long enough for the proc to be overwritten, or you let the buff fall off (which is pretty hard to do xD). You want to cast FFB the instant it procs. 

Another thing that stands out is your use of cooldowns. You seem to have missed 1 cast of Frozen Orb, and 1 cast of Icy Veins. 

Something minor is that on Sha you have no Cone of Cold damage showing. You want to have Glyphed CoC and use it on the sha that spawn under your feet. 

The most important thing I saw is your Invocation uptime. You want to have it as close to 95-100% possible. You lose quite some damage if you do not have that buff! Using an addon like weak auras to have a visual in the middle of your screen whenever you do not have the buff helps alot!

Glyphs and Other Stuff

You mentioned several Glyphs. As a Frost Mage i use the following:
Any Single Target only fight -> Glyph of Icy Veins, Glyph of Evocation, whatever you want.

Any fight with more than 1 target at any point -> Glyph of Icy Veins, Glyph of Splitting Ice, Glyph of Evocation

If at any instance you have more than 4 targets --> Glyph of IV, Glyph of SI, Glyph of Cone of Cold.

So as you can see The Fallen Protectors qualifies for scenario 3.

Also there is an excellent FAQ (written by Oltier and other mages before me), where you can see why using a macro for Icy Veins and Mirror Image is a loss. The quick answer is that you cover the GCD after the mirror image with icy veins effectively losing up to 1.5 seconds of the buff (more with latency). Also there is a big chance if you move at the same time that one of the two doesnt activate.

Regarding Alter Time, I would take a bigger margin. The best time to use Alter TIme is when you have 2 FoF, 1 BF, Icy Veins, Trinkets. If you are extremely unlucky then always remember the trinket AT priority:
ICD trinkets
RPPM trinkets
You do not want to proc ICD trinkets mid Alter Time, so make sure anything with an ICD that can proc has procced.

Hope this helps 
Cheers

Berlinia

Hi Berlinia,

Thank you for your reply.

I've installed the WeakAuras and did a lot of tweaks following your advice except for the Glyphs. Usually there's no time to change glyphs in LFRs. And I don't really like have the Glyph of Evocation in LFR, especially combined with the Invocation talent.

I had to admit the Tier 6 talents always give me a headache. I still remember in the first several months of MOP when my guild had enough members to normal raid, how the rune of power almost ruined the rotation. Seems never got used to them.

Always got laughed even by friends of my really poor DPS in raid. It seems I never got used to the chaos of the raid, especially in LFRs, though I've been playing Wow since 2005 (but never did raid before MOP). What a struggling game life.

Now what I'm waiting for is another round of LFR. Time to try this new set of tweaks (and a trinket I forgot for a really long time).

Thank you!

Cheers,

Killsophia

Hey Sophia,

If you don't have time to switch around glyphs, I would recommend with a set in stone: icy Veins, Splitting Ice and Cone of Cold. 
For fights like IJ and Malkorok you won't have benefit from Splitting Ice nor Cone of Cold, but for the most of SoO they are a huge increase.

Cheers

Hi Berlinia,

Just finished the 2nd Zone of SoO. What a chaos! I even felt how the healers were suffering.

DPS increase a bit. Not too much, I guess after I get more familiar with this rotation, things would be better. I think I'll change the glyphs before next cooldown.

Thank you for all the suggestions!

Cheers,

Sophia

Edited by killsophia

Hi AstanoVidatu,

Thank you.

I've looked into others' logs and videos, and realised you were right. As far as I can remember, my corruption value was around 60 or what. Not very sure about what happened, but I feel a big relief.

Cheers,

Sophia

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Violentravi
      Hello,
      Adelante is currently recruiting DPS & Heals, however, all competent players will be considered.  We are a Horde guild on Arthas and our current progression is 1/10M NH, 10/10H NH 6/7M EN and 3/3H TOV.  As far as classes go we do not have a Moonkin, Mage, Feral Druid, or any type of Monk. We only raid two nights a week, Tuesday and Wednesday from 7:00 PM until 11:00 PM Eastern.  Thursday is not considered a raid night, but we will often clear Heroic and Normal on this evening for AP and it is not required. We are pushing progression on Il'gynoth, and look forward to finishing off EN then moving on to Nighthold, we will be intermittently working on Mythic TOV.
      From you, we would expect 100% attendance during your trial period; after that, if you cannot make a raid or will be late it is mandatory to keep the raid leader updated.  In order to continue making good progression while raiding only two nights a week, we expect that you know your class inside-out and will research any bosses you are unfamiliar with prior to raids.
      If you are interested, please PM me (violentravi#1826) or recruiting officer Sepsis (tuxedomask#1712) in game.  However, if you have time (which goes a long way) for us to give you a real evaluation there is a short forum to fill out linked on our discord: https://discord.gg/JMVuYRW

Thank you for your consideration
      Xoxo
      Violentnacho & the Guild
    • By Ririxia
      ABOUT US
      We Tried is a mythic progression raiding guild formed by an ambitious raid leader seeking like minded, progression oriented players who would work together towards clearing the latest content while it is still considered relevant. After suffering some roster issues, We Tried merged with Procrastination in late December 2016 and together we have fully cleared Emerald Nightmare Mythic within just two weeks.
      OUR PAST ACCOMPLISHMENTS & FUTURE GOALS
      Although we have since slowed down, we are proud ourselves of holding the realm 27th Nythendra Mythic and 24th Elerathe Renferal Mythic kills.
      Today we are actively working towards forming a raid team that would be able to attain our previous glory and compete on a realm wide level.
      CURRENTLY RECRUITING
      Frost DK
      BM/MM Hunter
      Retri Paladin
      Shadow Priest
      Elemental & Resto Shaman
      Arms/Fury Warrior
      *Applications from exceptional players will always be considered regardless of recruitment status*
      RAID TIMES
      Wednesday 20.30 - 23.00
      Thursday 20.00 - 23.00
      Sunday 20.00 - 23.00
      IDEAL RECRUIT
      Our ideal recruits are players who are passionate about the game and about progress. Each raider is expected to do whatever they can to improve their skills outside of the raiding environment and pull their own weight within the raid.
      We are looking for mythic ready players who, without fail, know the tactics for every boss prior to entering the instance; have solid knowledge of their class and continuously strive to improve themselves; have a near 100% attendance rating; are prepared to wipe often on progression nights and can not only take the constructive criticism that comes their way but are also able to give constructive criticism back, as well as share new ideas and approaches relevant to the content we are clearing at the time.
      CONTACT & INFO
      If you have any questions or concerns you're welcome to contact me in game (Ririxia#2172) or on Discord (Ririxia#1469). You can find more info about our guild, guidelines, raiding policies, trials and the loot system, as well as apply on our website - http://we-tried.enjin.com
    • By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - Experience on 4 or more bosses in EN Mythic.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684  or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids.

We currently raid Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:00-22:00 server time. We run social/alt raids during off days in which all ranks of the guild are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is also welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with a 3 days a week schedule that you are expected to attend. However we understand things can come up but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons and world quests to gear in preparation for raids. This includes improving your artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared (i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.
      - 5 or more Mythic boss kills.
      You will receive a response within 3 days but probably within 1. The trial process will last 2 weeks, sometimes longer. During the trial period you will not have loot priority over raiders however you may of course still roll.
      If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 or go to our website http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/ .
      __________________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Druid: Balance.
      Hunter: BM/MM.
      Priest: Shadow.
      Warlock: Affli/Destro.

Any and all applications be considered.
    • By Burnt
      Hey guys,

I'd appreciate if you could have a look at my trinket sims. I'm a little bit confused about the results, so maybe you could tell me if it seems correct?

For BoS people say strength > all, but SC reccommends me 2 non strength trinkets. 
      For ST it's Faulty Countermeasure (900) and Unstable Arcanocrystal (865).
      For MT Horn of Valor (865) and Unstable Arcanocrystal (865).

None of them has strength, could that really be the right choice for BoS?
      I also have Convergence of Fates (875), which is not reccommended as top choice, but i know Simcraft undervalues it a little bit - at least that's what i've heard.

I run mostly M+ and only 1 day per week Nighthold, so my thoughts were to use the following combinations:
      For M+ Arcanocrystal (865) / Countermeasure (900) with tyrannical affix and Arcanocrystal (865) / Horn (865) for other trash affixes.
      For raiding i thought Countermeasure (900) / CoF (875) would be best, because CoF should be more valuable in longer fights.

What do you think?

Character: 
      http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/tirion/Mìho/simple

Sim singletarget:
      http://xsooom.com/wow/trinkets170215_1t.html

Sim 3 targets:
      http://xsooom.com/wow/trinkets170215_3t.html

(Results are in german... but i hope most of the trinket names are still understandable. Currently equipped is FC/IA.)

Thanks in advance!
    • By huneebunch
      Ok so raiding in guild, on Star Augur Normal im struggling to hit and stay consistent at 300K, yet when i did LFR i did 500K+ (lowest i went was 450K)
      Not doing anything different and its been like this with the other bosses. Followed the rotation guide and everything i'm doing is right, checked stats etc and they are right, but still struggling to get decent DPS.
      In our logs i am always in the grey (meaning im not utilising stuff more) but yet i have no idea how to change this as i am literally using cooldowns when i can and also doing my burn phase and conserve phase when i need to.