FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Gatecrasher

Prot warrior looking to improve

Hi all, first time posting here.

I've been tanking on a warrior since cata but i only tanked as OS in HC dragon soul after progression was finished and we were all over geared, never tanked for HC progression. I've also tanked progression for every single raid this expansion but only on normal.

My guild is very soon going to be starting HC progression in SoO so I'm looking to try and improve my game and fix anything that's wrong so hopefully HC prog will go a little smoother, and also of course to better myself as a player.

Here are logs from Immerseus to Spoils, I will also post Thok to Garrosh in my next post so you can see every fight, as I've no idea which fights are the best for analysis.

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/7xqnDAagRj6dztyT#fight=3&type=auras

Thanks in advance.

For your logs, I'm going to look at Malk as an example of a melee heavy fight, Iron Juggernaut for a magic-heavy fight, and Garrosh as a mixed damage fight.

Iron Juggernaut:

Fight Length: 4:00

Cooldowns:

Shield Wall: 2

Last Stand: 0

Demo Shout: 2

Bloodbath: 3

Dragon Roar: 3

Reck: 2

Intervene: Safeguard

t2 Talent: 0

t5 Talent: 4

Trinket: 2

I only note Skull Banner uses if different from Reck uses since they should be used together. From your raid CD perspective, you have one use each of Rallying, Shattering, and Demo banner. Good to see you using them. You personal defenses aren't quite as good. Your Shield Wall uses are roughly what I'd expect, but you lack any Last Stand uses and your Demo Shout uses are pretty low. Your offensive CDs seem roughly in line with expectation. You also have a few Determination procs, IIRC, that's Thok's Tail Tip. Replace it, if so. Haste is useless, the mastery is lackluster, and 3% crit damage provides a bit of damage, but no survivability, and 5k strength gives only 10k AP. You can get better.

Mitigation:

SBlk uptime: 24.99% (7 uses)

SBar uses: 12

SBar avg size: 205k

SBar overhealing: 3.71%

SBlk uptime is within expectations for the fight. The average size of your SBars seems reasonable for 10m normals and 3.71% overhealing is acceptable.

Rage Use:

Rage gained: 1570

Rage used on DPS: 210

Rage used on mitigation/healing: 1261

Rage wasted raw: 99

Rage wasted %: 6.31%

Ideal rage waste is always zero. After some google-fu I see that you're using Unending Rage. I highly suggest swapping it for Incite. It gives three free Heroic Strikes per Demo Shout use, which encourages CD usage, and I also find that Unending Rage encourages rage hoarding, which is quite undesirable for prot.

Malkorok:

Fight Length: 3:14

Cooldowns:

Shield Wall: 1

Last Stand: 1

Demo Shout: 2

Bloodbath: 3

Dragon Roar: 3

Reck: 2

Intervene: 0

t5 Talent: 0

Trinket: 2

Mitigation:

SBlk uptime: 35.51%

SBar uses: 0

SBar avg size: 0k

SBar overhealing: 0%

Since this is such a melee-heavy fight, having no SBar uses is expected. However, for that same reason, I'd expect something like a 50% or so uptime on SBlk.

Rage Use:

Rage gained: 1080

Rage used on DPS: 180

Rage used on mitigation/healing: 710

Rage wasted raw: 190

Rage wasted %: 17.60%

Your rage waste was pretty high. Most of the rage waste is due to the low SBlk uptime, but once you have your uptime higher, don't be afraid to put a bit more rage into your damage. If you have both SBlk charges on CD and your next GCD will put you over cap (or might), then hit Heroic Strike. If this were a different fight, you'd want to prioritize having an SBar on top of your SBlks before resorting to SBlk. Malk's a bit weird due to the nature of absorbs. The smallest absorb is used first, so if your Malk absorb is less than your SBar absorb, then all damage will be eaten by your Malk absorb and your SBar will go to waste.

Garrosh:

Fight Length: 8:38

Cooldowns:

Shield Wall: 2

Last Stand: 0

Demo Shout: 4

Bloodbath: 7

Dragon Roar: 7

Reck: 3

Intervene: Safeguard

Victory Rush: 2

t5 Talent: 5

Trinket: 5

One of the reasons I chose Garrosh is that it is probably the closest to a progression fight for you at this point. Your offensive CD uses are in line with expectation, but all of your defensives are far below expectation. Make sure you're using your CDs to prevent "oh, shit!" moments instead of in reaction to them. Put as much thought and effort into your defenses as you do your offenses.

Mitigation:

SBlk uptime: 37.02%

SBar uses: 12

SBar avg size: 285k

SBar overhealing: 9.21%

SBlk uptime seems a bit low, but it looks like you're weaving SBars in, which is something that I was looking for specifically.

Rage Use:

Rage gained: 3480

Rage used on DPS: 810

Rage used on mitigation/healing: 2503

Rage wasted raw: 167

Rage wasted %: 4.80%

Conclusions:

Your two biggest points of weakness are your defensive CD usage and your rage use. When you're researching heroic fights as you start progression, take notes and mark points in the fight where you think you'll need CDs. If you plan for your damage intake, you're significantly less likely to die than if you react to it after it has happened. For your rage use, I think I covered it fairly well within the reviews, but please ask any questions you have.

Hi,

Thanks for the analysis, I will try and work on improving sblock uptime and reducing rage waste.

I will also glyph incite instead of unending rage and see if helps me to improve my rage management.

As for the Tail Tip, we are currently bringing alts to farm raids, so raid dps is a little low, the tail tip, along with strength flask and pre pot are all towards helping bring the avg raid dps up a little bit to compensate. Some vengeance cheesing also comes along with that.

As for sblock uptime I'm sure that because I and my healers are much more gear for normal than we need to be I probably subconsciously slack and don't make as much effort on sblock as I should be.

On a side not would there be any help or advice you could impart from watching videos of me tanking? This has been very helpful for the cd and rotation side of things but it's obviously hard to give positional and taunt/general gameplay advice just from reading logs. If so I do have multiple videos available if you want to see them.

I don't think Tail Tip is really giving you much at all in the way of DPS either. I think you'd get more out of Juggernaut's Focusing Crystal or the 535 Timeless Isle trinket.

Yeah, I could probably give some more positional advice with some videos. I've noticed quite a lot recently that some tanks are exceedingly mechanically sound, but lack a clear and consistent understanding of positioning and situational awareness.

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, raid went on long last night, when I get home from work today I will link you some videos, they will be dual PoV videos as they were made for our guilds website but you can just skip through the resto Druids footage.

Also do you think there is a way to work out exactly how much more dps the tail tip is accounting for?

I'm mostly going to be looking at tank swaps, positioning, and standing in fire. To that end, I'll be looking at Iron Juggernaut and Dark Shaman primarily.

Iron Juggernaut:

It looks like you're waiting until the last SBlk falls off before using the next charge. You don't have to do that, the charges stack.

You seem to be standing in Borer Drill quite a bit. As long as you stay at max melee range from the boss, the drill won't hit you.

2:05 Tank swap: you taunt and swing the boss way around. Wait for the breath to go out, stand on top of your cotank, and taunt. Consistency in positioning protects your team from errant breaths and also helps to prevent the melee getting parried.

When you're coming out of the Siege mode, make sure the boss is facing where you have it during Assault phases. One of your melee took a breath because your facing was off. This means that you likely won't be able to soak that last set of mines in the Siege phase, but that's okay. Your cotank should be getting those.

Dark Shaman:

Nevermind, this video was entirely druid PoV. Though I do like his Final Fantasy victory music.

Thok:

I'm noticing that you have a timer bar for SBlk to show its duration, but not one for SBar nor anything to show how much you have left. I might be missing it, but if not, I suggest getting one.

Looks like Thok tank swaps are pretty clean. That's the sort of swap you want for every boss. Consistency may not be something that always has a massive effect but it always has some effect.

6:05, I spoke a bit soon. That one was less clean than I'd like.

Quite a few of the other videos were pretty much exclusively from the druid's PoV. I'd really have liked to have seen Sha of Pride and Dark Shaman as those are particularly good at showcasing whether or not you're avoiding damage and positioning yourself well.

Thank you for the feedback, this reset I will get videos of sha and shamens to show you.

In regards to sbar I do have an indicator for that, it's much smaller but the white text above my health bar to the right show vengeance, predicted sbar size, and when I use sbar the size of the current absorb is shown above .