FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Staff

New WoW Expansion Will Be Revealed on April 19

y62U8vL.jpeg

Blizzard will reveal the next World of Warcraft expansion on April 19, 2022.

If you wonder what's next for World of Warcraft, mark your calendars for April 19. On that day, Blizzard will reveal WoW's next expansion! The information comes from a blog post titled "The Future of Warcraft" by John Hight, World of Warcraft's General Manager.

Blizzard Logo(Source)

For nearly 28 years, the Warcraft Universe has ignited imaginations across the globe through rich storytelling and expansive worlds. It has built the very foundation for World of Warcraft and Hearthstone, providing entertainment, community, and competition for millions globally.  

This year, we have a lot of exciting news in store for the heroes of Azeroth and the patrons of the Hearthstone Tavern.

Playing Your Hand in Hearthstone

To kick off the first of our announcements, on March 15, the Hearthstone development team will share details about the first of three expansions this year. Shortly after, they'll provide a deeper look into the plans for Hearthstone for 2022—including the annual core set changes.

Until then, you’ll want to cozy up by the fireside for the first season of Hearthstone Grandmasters now in progress. Exclusively on YouTube, you can earn Fractured in Alterac Valley drops while watching the top players in the world compete for their shot at the playoffs, a share of the $250,000 (USD) prize pool, and regional invites to the 2022 World Championship.

Don’t forget to tune in on April 2-3 for Lobby Legends: Raid Leaders—Hearthstone Esports' first Battlegrounds event of the year. It’s an exciting time for Hearthstone and you won’t want to miss a moment in the Tavern.

The Worlds of World of Warcraft

On April 19, the World of Warcraft development team will reveal the next expansion.  We’re excited to show you what we've been working on and where your adventures in Azeroth will go next.

Until then, we hope you are enjoying Eternity’s End, the newest content update and final chapter of the Shadowlands saga. The heroes of Azeroth have been called forth to this intriguing new land of Zereth Mortis to thwart the Jailer's efforts and stop him from rewriting reality as we know it. This past week we have seen brave adventurers make their way into the Sepulcher of the First Ones raid zone on Normal and Heroic difficulty, and this week they will finally come face-to-face with the Jailer himself as Raid Finder and Mythic difficulties become available. I’m eager to see who will achieve world first!

In WoW Classic, players have gathered their strongest allies to go beyond the gates of the ancient troll city of Zul’Gurub, face the Blood God Hakkar, and reap the rewards in Season of Mastery. Players have also been taking on the challenges in Burning Crusade Classic Phase 3 as they make their way into the Black Temple to face Illidan within his stronghold, engage in the Battle for Mount Hyjal to preserve history, and much more.

The competition is fierce as WoW Esports celebrates 15 years this April with more seasons of epic competition ahead. For those looking to test themselves against the best players in the world, the Arena World Championship and Mythic Dungeon International are gearing up for more fast-paced action. For dungeon-runners, players who register by March 28 and complete the MDI Time Trials have a chance to earn the in-game Encrypted Banner of the Opportune. Sign-ups for the MDI Time Trials are open now on GameBattles. We wish the best of luck to all competitors. May your cooldowns be with you and your buffs strong.

In Bloom for May

Beyond World of Warcraft and Hearthstone, we're preparing to get the first game in the Warcraft Universe designed for mobile into your hands. We will tell you more about it in May.

The future of Warcraft is bright. On behalf of all of us at Blizzard working to bring even more exciting Warcraft experiences to you, we thank you for being a part of the community. We're excited about the journey in front of us and are grateful that you're joining us for it.

Thank you for playing, and we'll see you in Azeroth, the Tavern, and beyond!

—John Hight, General Manager Warcraft

The schedule from Twitter also reveals a mobile game reveal in May 2022.

Placeholder for tweet 1500894314792165383
  • Like 2

Problem is, with all the internal blizzard problems, Microsoft buyout, covid, etc etc etc...

This could be a very long wait till release.    Like, I would not be surprised at November or so.    Which would be terrible for the playerbase and game in general.

Can't wait to have our Internet shut down to miss it!

Seriosly, though, I'd also keep low expectations.

As long as they start playing their own game we should be fine.

As it happens, they clearly don’t just yet..

they also should have a look at their competition and see what’s luring all casuals away from the game.

as they are the bulk of the player base.

im hoping with the Microsoft buyout they get a real, well needed lesson in public relations. The lack of communication has been a big issue for the wow team for years now. During the 9.2 beta I get the feeling it’s been getting better tho..

and lastly: please establish some new characters and story arks that actually leads somewhere, and plan what story you want to tell well ahead of time…

I think that’s it for now, thanks! 👋

Edited by Ulvgrymt

I hope this means I can cease my boycott of Retail and fly around Kul Tiras and Zandalar without doing this quest:

Emv7ZmTXMAEO76G.thumb.jpg.297c9a0da59eee19a3dd624cdd7d7277.jpg

If Steve Danuser wants me to buy the next expansion, I'm willing to if I can by sending him $60 in monopoly money set to ignite on the opening of the package in an electrical fire.

That way when he tries to save it with a water bucket, it'll just burn faster and end up a burnt pile on the ground.

I'll attach a note that says if he's upset, its because he hates money and just wants to sexually abuse three $20 bills. Also, it wasn't real money, its just game money, so calm down, its just a game.

I hope that payment is acceptable.

Among my favorite Game of Thrones episodes were the one where Arya Stark dropped a coin and stabbed a psychopath in the chest repeatedly while screaming when they went to pick it up, and the one where Jon Snow stabbed a psychopath in the chest for committing mass murder.

I understand Steve Danuser likes "Red Wedding" and "The Bells" so much, but not everyone thinks the same way as him. I hope he can tolerate people who think differently than him as much as he expects tolerance for himself and Sylvanas.

6 hours ago, Migol said:

Problem is, with all the internal blizzard problems, Microsoft buyout, covid, etc etc etc...

This could be a very long wait till release.    Like, I would not be surprised at November or so.    Which would be terrible for the playerbase and game in general.

November this year or next one? 🤣

I'm pretty sure its not gonna get released this year.

For Shadowlands it took them a year since reveal, for BfA it was around 10 months.

Either way my bet is spring 2023.

But I don't mind, my expectations are really low. In fact for now I'm not gonna preorder, will consider buying it after release. If it's more of the same I'm just gonna pass...

I really hope they can bring the story back to Azeroth and World of Warcraft can, once again, feel like World of Warcraft. The Microsoft aquisition was too late to change the story direction but hopefully the new management will keep Blizzard honest and ensure they continue making a great game instead of making a revenue generating game.

9 hours ago, Migol said:

I would be surprised to see the x pac as early as November. Feb 2023 would be my very rough guess.

I am looking forward to see what they have cooked up and keeping an open mind. I have seen some positive things in 9.2 and I enjoyed the SL raids overall (plus I like how they are being more experimental). I think a lot of people working on the game now are newer and there have been a lot of changes overall, so it is difficult to predict how it might pan out. I also think, with MS coming in, everyone has to prove their worth if they want a spot in what comes next, so that might factor in as well.

Edited by Ken007

11 hours ago, SidonisAntares said:

inb4 tinker idiocy

also, the mobile game reveal will be CoC style RTS Warcraft

Wouldn't surprise me if it's some auto-battler. At least leaks can hopefully die, for a while. Rather strange that we are now getting announcement of an announcement.