FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Damien

Curse of Naxxramas with Basic Decks

So, Vlad and I have started playing the Curse of Naxxramas using basic decks we have on the site or basic decks of our own creation.

Edited by Damien
  • Like 1

Faerlina proved a bit hard. I died quite a few times with the Mage deck, so I tried the Warrior one and easily disposed of her smile.png

As Damien said, I beat Anub'Rekhan with the Basic Paladin deck.

I also beat Faerlina with the same deck, though that was harder and I wiped like 3 times.

Then I one-shot Maexxna, which wasn't even close.

• Like 1

Maexxna was a bit annoying, but I still bear her on my first try with the Warrior deck.

Completed both class challenges. Druid one was trivial, and Rogue is too once you realize you need to focus on clearing the board.

Cleared Heroic Anub'Rekhan with the Basic Paladin deck in two attempts.

I cleared all of normal both with both basic Rogue deck and then with Low Budget Hunter deck

cleared challenges with low budget hunter deck

nearly defeated Anub in Heroic Mode with low budget hunter deck, I was 3 dmg shy of beating him on my first try which was so sad to come that close and fall just short. Made some tweaks to low budget Hunter deck and defeated him with the following: 

Hunter:

2x - Hunter's Mark
2x - Flare
2x - Tracking
2x - Stonetusk Boar
2x - Timber Wolf
2x - Explosive Trap
1x - Dire Wolf Alpha
2x - Scavenging Hyena
2x - Starving Buzzard
2x - Animal Companion
1x - Deadly Shot
2x - Unleash The Hounds
1x - Stampeding Kodo
1x - Maexxna
2x - Savanna Highmane

Why the changes? - Explosive Trap replacing River Crocolisk helps keep the board in check specially since i realized this guy LOVES summoning tons of monsters back to back and i cant unleash the hounds every time. 

And Maexxna replacing 1 stampeding Kodo because this guy doesnt summon that many 2 atk minions plus the death rattle ends up helping them some times lowering the value of Kodo. Maexxna + Houndmaster was too awesome to pass up aswell and helped me win the day in the late rounds. 
  • Like 1

I then attempted to take on Grand Widow Faerlina with this hunter that had just so proudly won me the first fight against Heroic bosses...and boy did i paid dearly.

The awesome draw power of my deck was turned against me! Hunter was off the table then and there. I realized i needed a deck that will NOT keep many cards on hand...who better to do this than Mage? I played against her again with Basic Mage deck and brought her down to 15 hp before dying so I began to trim the fat simply started experimenting a LOT with a deck full of 2 cost or lower cards with some spells all for the sake of discarding cards from my hand as much as possible. That hero power is simply brutal

Took me about 8 or 9 tries (lol i nearly gave up) and then I got in a very very solid position thanks to a super convenient flamestrike and kicked her teeth in, using a deck that i would recommend for no one hahaha once you see what's in it you'll understand why, and also realize that I really WAS experimenting everything i could grab lol

Mage
2x - Ice Lance
2x - Mirror Image
2x - Mana Wyrm
2x - Young Priestess
2x - Frostbolt
2x - Ironbeak Owl
2x - Knife Juggler
2x - Loot Hoarder
1x - Mana Wraith
2x - Sorcerer's Apprentice
2x - Arcane Intellect
2x - Fireball
2x - Water Elemental
2x - Flamestrike
1x - Ragnaros the Firelord
1x - Nozdormu
1x - Ysera

Basically this deck did NOT need or at any point use the following cards to achieve victory
Nozdormu, Ragnaros, Ironbeak Owl, Mana Wraith

Young Priestess i used but was about to remove it as she would never last past a turn, the hero power always killed her very low value. 

Anyway i won and i'm now up against Maexxna and SPOILER ALERT

wtf is up with that 0 cost hero power?? and he STARTS with minions that multiply on the field? I am considering going full force with aggro decks that require no minions on the field or to build some decks spamming battlecrys and see where it gets me. I belive that DEATHWING would be amazing against this hero (assuming you can survive till turn 10, but then you'll never ever be able to attack , still would be funny to recast him over and over hopefully forcing him to run out of cards first?) 
  • Like 1

For those curious on my credentials I have 2 accounts (cuz im cool like that) one I am rank 7 on and spent real life money to buy card packs on. 

And my alt account i spent no money on (the very reason i wanted an alt) and am sitting comfortably at rank 10 with it at the moment. All this progress i reported was done on my Alt account. It is missing a LOT of cards and the only deck from this site im able to fully build is the low budget hunter deck without disenchanting tons of cards for the rest (i'm also not disenchanting anything on this alt account as a rule to myself) 

I say all this because it seems to me that if i can do it without having access to all the cards, and building somewhat wacky decks and still win and rank decently. That anyone can achieve it aswell basic decks can take you pretty far with the right use

25zgf1k.png

Edited by RonnieMoon
  • Like 1

Played a couple more games against Maexxna, any good tips? 

So far i've noticed that spamming battlecrys against it is AWESOME lol elven archer and novice engineer gain RIDICULOUS value agianst this thing.

#1 - Hero power MUST be used and it will be used at the start of the enemy face so your monsters will not die if you only summon 2.

#2 - Elven Archer + Novice Engineer as your starting hand is AMAZING! Mulligan for it at all cost. EDIT: Holy cow...Ironbeak Owl ownz haha, try it and you'll see what i mean.

#3 - Re-use battlecrys and Charge cards, they seem to work exceedingly well in general here abuse them!

I'm playing using Warrior currently for the weapons so i can attack directly while spamming battlecrys.

Another card warrior-specific that im finding to have exponential value against Maexxna is Warsong Commander specially with the elven archer and novice engineer recasting 

EDIT: 

I'm now using earthen ring farseer and other minions who's battlecry heals you as i thought of a different type of deck. A healer deck to defeat maexxna gonna test this out but it think ti's possible to win by simply defending while recasting various healing battlecrys. 

The trick is to kill off the early spiders and fill the board so maexnna cannot summon any more minions and is stuck with 1/2 minions making his total damage potential 7 dmg per turn. If you can heal more than he can attack, then you win. 

couple this with some minions that can do direct damage with battlecry and i think i should breeze through this guy

EDIT: 

Hahaha yeah that plan does work! I just had a craaaaazy long fight against Maexxna brought it down to 26 health :) and 5 cards left. 

While i had ran out of cards and was taking 3 dmg from fatigue (which is what ultimately killed me). Towards the super super late game, Maexxna seems to run out of steam and almost all his minions have 1 ATK which was awesome as i kept healing like crazy.

Voodoo Doctor is my 'Go To' card to defeating this guy, couple him with earthen ring and priestess and u can heal quite a lot of health per turn. Toss in some armor and its a done deal.

Edited by RonnieMoon
  • Like 1

Here my low budget Warrior Maexxna (Heroic) Beater Deck:

2x Inner Rage

1x Shield Slam (pretty good at the end of the game but can be replaced with Voodoo Doctor)

2x Upgrade

2x Whirlwind

2x Abusive sergeant

2x Elven Archer

2x Cleave

2x Commanding Shout

1x Slam

2x Cruel Taskmaster

2x Faerie Dragon (just found out fearie isnt immune vs the hero power, so maybe replace it with any battlecry 2-4 Mana Card)

2x Ironbeak Owl

2x Knife Juggler (most important card!)

2x Mad Bomber (be carefull and dont kill ur sergeants and owls with it)

2x Wild Pyromancer (he will never kill it so u can aoe every round when u get a spell)

2x Wolfrider

After surviving the good start of Maexxna which is pretty hard u will have board controll because of knife juggler, archer, Taskmaster and Pyromancer. Make sure u got an owl and an archer at ur starter hand and it might work

If u dont like Wolfrider replace it with Big Game Hunter ( because u will face 2 Gaints and 1 Stranglethorn Tiger which u can kill if u use sergeants power on him and hunt him down

So try ur luck and have fun. I had an epic battle wink.png

Edited by Fabulose

This was supposed to be about the basic decks, not custom low-budget strategies to beat them!

I used the Basic Mage to 1-2 shot all three bosses, with some really good RNG for Maex, and average for the other two.

I slaughtered Heroic Maexxna with a rogue deck that I just packed full of battlecries, combo, and charge.  A small number of what I used were commons or rares, but most was basic.

Beating everything on normal with all-basics is good, but I think low budget suggestions for heroics are reasonable (might want a new thread for that, though).  I'll fish out my decklist over my lunch break, and see if I can come up with something similar that's all basics.

Lol sorry about that but yeah maexxna is pretty easy if u pack in the right cards. 

I don't think basic decks can defeat widow or maexxna's cheezi super powers.

I beat Anub'Rekhan with the Basic Paladin deck.

Been trying this for some time with no luck, and I am talking Normal Anub.  Any special tricks or hints?

Been trying this for some time with no luck, and I am talking Normal Anub.  Any special tricks or hints?

Luck?

Took me 2 tries with Basic Pally Deck, and I do not play very much which means I am not familiar with all the cards.

Just beat Naxxramas normal with all-basic decks only, yesterday. Some bosses were more difficult some were easier. Most of them I beat with the basic Priest deck that's listed on this site! I think it didn't take me more than 5-6-7 tries at most per boss. Saphiron and Kel'Thuzad were extra fun, and I beat them on the first try. Gonna start Heroic soon. I just haven't completed the pally class challenge, tbh, I don't like the way it's designed but oh well...