FORUMS
Staff

New World of Warcraft Expansion Reveal is 7 Days Away

IVrVc1v.jpg

We're just 1 week away from April 19 and the big expansion reveal!

The expansion reveal takes place on YouTube and Twitch. You can watch it at 9:00 a.m. PDT / 18:00 CEST.

Blizzard Logo(Source)

World of Warcraft has ignited imaginations through rich storytelling and expansive worlds that prevail throughout the Shadowlands expansion. From the hopeless depths of the Maw to the ethereal plains of Zereth Mortis, the Shadowlands delivers a world that challenges heroes to confront the forces that threaten to upset the cosmic balance between life and death. With the story in the Shadowlands coming to a conclusion, the time is at hand to get a sneak peek at what’s next for the heroes of Azeroth.

The World of Warcraft development team is excited to share what they’ve been working on, and we invite you to mark your calendars, so you don’t miss a moment.

Date and Time

April 19 at 9:00 a.m. PDT / 18:00 CEST

Where to Watch

YouTube and Twitch

We can’t wait to share more about exciting World of Warcraft experiences—keep checking WorldofWarcraft.com for the latest news and follow us on Twitter and Facebook.

Thank you for being a part of the community—see you in Azeroth!

• Like 2

Aight, here's to the expansion not sucking. I'd gladly wait for 2 more years if it means that the end result is a good product

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dejo93 said:

Aight, here's to the expansion not sucking. I'd gladly wait for 2 more years if it means that the end result is a good product

Yeah, I plan on waiting a couple weeks after the launch just to gauge the community's reaction to it so I can decide if it is actually a turn around or just more of the same.

Thank you, I couldn't remember when it was.

It's funny to me because they're in such a precarious crossroads. There are two balancing scales here, and they can't really do both to a strong degree, but they also need to do both.

On one scale they go pure fan service and try to etch out our most impassioned desires of Warcraft. On the other scale, they go the route of Nintendo with their big franchise titles and try to reinvent the wheel instead of sticking to what rocks (think Zelda: Wind Waker, though I enjoy'd me some Wind Waker).

They need to mend fences, but they also need to shake things up. They who chase two rabbits, catch neither. 🤷‍♂️

PS just realized the double entendre pun with the scales.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Prophet001 said:

I think it would be pretty great if it had nothing to do with dragons lol.

Yeah, this. Dragons have been done to death at this point, we had them in every expansion, during Cataclysm they were obviously in the center, but they also had some important roles in almost every expansion.

2 hours ago, TyZone said:

PS just realized the double entendre pun with the scales.

Speaking of scales, it's hard to balance their story. On the one hand, people want to return to a more familiar setting, on the other hand they already set up some next big villains, Void Lords. It's hard to make a story on a smaller scale without it feeling like a filler, because we are aware of a larger threat looming, yet here we are on some islands helping a bunch of dragons, for example. It could also end with another "fools, you aren't able to stop that which is coming for you!". We even went beyond the point when Burning Legion was our biggest enemy, so every attempt at "downscaling" might feel strange.

Edited by Arcling
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Arcling said:

Speaking of scales, it's hard to balance their story. On the one hand people, want to return to a more familiar setting, on the other hand they already set up some next big villains, Void Lords. It's hard to make a story on a smaller scale without it feeling like a filler, because we are aware of a larger threat looming, yet here we are on some islands helping a bunch of dragons, for example. It could also end with another "fools, you aren't able to stop that which is coming for you!". We event went beyond the point when Burning Legion was our biggest enemy, so every attempt at "downscaling" might feel strange.

I agree, this is what writing yourself into a corner does. 😬

• Thanks 1

Hear me out. What if the expansion announcement wasn't 7 days away and was more like 5 months away? After so many expansions I have grown increasingly tired of how early they're announced. I don't want to spend a year hearing about and reading about and watching the changes they are making. With BFA's Azerite Armor and Shadowlands Covenants, it was an unending amount of announcements, interviews, discourse, conflict, and negativity that affects my enjoyment of the current expansion and produces far too many news cycles over the changes. I think it would just be splendid if they announced the expansion and it's major changes 6 months before launch, with the beta (not alpha) coming 1-2 weeks after the announcement. 

4 hours ago, Mascaron said:

Hear me out. What if the expansion announcement wasn't 7 days away and was more like 5 months away? After so many expansions I have grown increasingly tired of how early they're announced. I don't want to spend a year hearing about and reading about and watching the changes they are making. With BFA's Azerite Armor and Shadowlands Covenants, it was an unending amount of announcements, interviews, discourse, conflict, and negativity that affects my enjoyment of the current expansion and produces far too many news cycles over the changes. I think it would just be splendid if they announced the expansion and it's major changes 6 months before launch, with the beta (not alpha) coming 1-2 weeks after the announcement. 

Early? At this point in the expansion, we're actually 5 months late. Historically, expansions have been announced every 2 years, generally at Blizzcon which has been held in November (most years). Given this, I don't see it as entirely far-fetched that the next expansion is already a lot further along than is usual, with a release late 2022... not impossible.

15 hours ago, Mascaron said:

Hear me out. What if the expansion announcement wasn't 7 days away and was more like 5 months away? After so many expansions I have grown increasingly tired of how early they're announced.

This one is actually late. They were usually announced every two years, which means this announcement should have happened in november last year. It is still far away though, since we are getting one small patch and another season.

On 4/13/2022 at 10:41 AM, Arcling said:

This one is actually late. They were usually announced every two years, which means this announcement should have happened in november last year. It is still far away though, since we are getting one small patch and another season.

Which is my whole point. The next expansion won't be out until 2023; leaving at least 8 months of news cycles about the expansion. If the announcement next week includes a release date in October I'll be thrilled, but I don't think that's likely.

interesting both what blizzard/MS might do and what folks are saying.  I believe since MS bought into the game (i.e. own it now), it will be change to work with a X-Box and go that route.   It took me a year to get Shadowlands and I still have not taken a toon there, just wanted it for leveling (so far I have 2 lvl 60's from doing daily fishing and cooking and a few odd things in Broken Lands, etc, with another 3 lvl 59s) I am not jumping at buying another x-pac for this game.