FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Odlivian

Log analysis request

Hi fellow Paladins,

would someone be so kind and do me the favor to analyse one of my combat logs?

I *think* I'm doing quite well, but we have no other Retris in our raid, so I lack the opportunity to compare my performance to another player.

My armory link:

http://eu.battle.net/wow/de/character/die-ewige-wacht/Odlivian/advanced

Combat Logs from a Coloss fight:

http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/rCvYcG7RL6jWtyZK/#fight=18

I'm a native german speaker, so I see all the ability namens in german, hopefully someone with a different language setting will see them in the correct language.

Thanks in Advance

Odi

Everything looks great in these logs. Your rotation during Avenging Wrath is definitely extremely well done, and your rotation outside of it is also excellent. I'd say there isn't really anything I can teach due to the quality of your rotation vs my never played the ret spec.

Your damage is quite high, and the only thing that holds you back is the fact that your raid gets two siege phases during the fight. You probably could push to kill before the second phase by having the shaman not die, and perhaps your group could try a 2healing strat.

I think what is holding you back is that most of your gear requires you to reforge to get more haste, leaving you a fair bit under 40%. You definitely need some upgrades to help push you past this problem.

I've been comparing your log to my guild member: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/argent-dawn/Paltek/simple
who receives some decently high logs even with the 'stay-out' method on Juggernaut (Koloss), and the only difference I can see between you two is just that he had better RNG for some abilities (cloak did 2.5M to your 1M) and that our heroism came on pull where yours was about 4 seconds late.

Another difference I see is that Paltek has his Thok's Tail Tip, where you're using Skeer's, probably due to drop problems.

On a side note, you can pull one expertise/haste gem into strength/haste for a very minimal gain, since that expertise is being wasted atm.

Wow that were  fast responses.

Unfortunately Thok's Tail Tip never dropped for me, as you already assumed.

So I'm doing reasonably well, nice to know. :)

Thank you very much to both of you!

Odi

Edited by Odlivian
  • Like 2

After lookin at your warrior pal, it just looks like your entire raid has no haste pieces dropping, thats hard D:

hey guys mind explaining why 40% haste is so important for ret?

I've had a look and all I could find was this statement from the ret guide on elitistjerks

Tests have shown at approx 40% Haste you get the following results:
Single target - Haste is still king.
Three or more targets - Mastery pulls slightly ahead (margin increases for every target beyond 3).

If I had to guess it would have something to do with pushing Crusader Strike CD to 3sec

/edit

Looked harder and found this which sounds reasonable:

Haste becomes worse, but not because of GCD cap. With the new 4 set and 40% haste your rotation has virtually zero downtime, so the benefit of haste lessens because you have no need for increased cooldown reduction on your moves.
Edited by Boltt

Basically haste doesn't do much in terms of change your rotation. Your rotation will proc more often at the same rate as how often you will get your GCDs up, so you'll have the same amount of holes going from 0% to 40%. It's just that running through your rotation that much faster is an excellent DPS increase, especially with the multitudes of strength you've picked up. The reasoning why Haste is stopped at 40% is due to just math. As you gain 425 haste you gain 1% haste, that 1% haste is always just +1% haste, where as getting 1% haste and 1% mastery is a multiplicative value. Instead of having 2% haste, you have 1% haste, which makes that 1% mastery value 1.01x better. As your stats get extremely high, other stats are constantly getting more valuable, which is why there is no set stat weights that are for 496 ilvl vs 580 ilvl, the values change based on your gear. It's all dynamic.

What many sims have taught us is that at around 40% is the point where that Mastery value finally surpasses Haste (depending on how much mastery you have), so it's good to go full Haste until 40%, then put as much into mastery as you can. I've seen plenty of high geared rets (580ish) go around 45%-50% haste, due to haste's continual value. It's not that haste is suddenly worth less, so going over 40% isn't a horrible thing to do.

Another issue with going higher into your haste is that it makes your class harder and harder to play. Things start to come off CD faster that you may not react quick enough to use the correct spell. That's mostly a skill cap issue that won't affect the best of players, but its still something to take into account if you already find you make mistakes on what spells you should be pushing, such as hitting exorcism thinking crusader strike wasn't going to come off CD, but then you realize it did (or some other realistic scenario). Overall, 40% haste has been the agreed upon standard, though I can't give the exact reason why, I just suspect it is what I have said it is, and that math supports itself somewhere. Going past 40% is probably advisable once your mastery finds its way around 45-50% or so, based on the paladins I see who go past it.

I'm sure you could investigate that further and get some better answers than the one I'm giving you right now, but I just want to be clear that it isn't fixing holes in a rotation. As your haste increases, you get more procs, but you'd also speed your rotation up to increase the holes. It's just a DPS gain from how amazing haste really is. More spells cast in a duration of a delicious buff like Heroism, trinket procs, your potions, etc.

Why is the answer always math.

Thanks for the explanation, makes sense.

I'm at about 35-36% haste in my current gear/reforge and find clicking the right buttons alright,

but when heroism/timewarp is up I have trouble keeping up with what I need to press.

Admittedly since i'm not a dedicated raider I don't get as much practise under a heroism cycle as I'd like.

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/argent-dawn/Boltt/advanced

My gems are a bit of a mess in terms of consistency because I use some of the same pieces for Prot and I priortise my Prot performance.

Edited by Boltt
  • Like 1