FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Spectre93

New Affliction Warlock addon

Hello everyone,

I have a question for you. but I do not know if I'm in the right place for this. It was the best place I could find. I've made a special "too long, didn't read" version behind the long story, for people who don't want to read it all.

Long story:

My main is a Shadow Priest and I've never stopped loving the ShadowPriestDoTTimer addon. It tracks your DoTs, DoT strength and current buffscore. Then I made a warlock, which I leveled as Destro, because well...Destro. I do amazing dps as Destro, but sometimes I just felt unchallenged with playing it. So I got Affliction OS and all the DoTs were quite confusing to start with. I found some addons that tracked them and they were working perfectly, but just not for me. I was so extremely hooked on my SP addon, that it set me thinking. So I rewrote the entire addon to work with Affli. I really like it myself, so I asked the author of the SP addon and he gave me permission to upload it to curse. Now you can skip the tl;dr; part to get to my actual question.

tl;dr: Wrote addon for AffliLock for tracking DoTs and their strength.

I'm quite a perfectionist myself and I try to aim high with having made this addon. Now my question to everyone is: What should I change to the addon to make it good enough to make an appearance on the AffliWarlock guide page?

The addon can be found here.

Thank you for your time and I'm looking forward to hear from you all smile.png

EDIT: My intention is not to replace AffDots, it's merely an alternative for it.

EDIT: Guide to giving constructive criticism

Edited by Spectre93
  • Like 1

From the screenshots, its a little hard to tell how that addon actually tells you when the proper time is to refresh or empower your dots. Something a lot of us love about Affdots is that in the settings, you can change it to be bars instead of icons, and the bars will change colors to let you know if refreshing your current dots will be a damage gain, but clip your pandemic, a damage loss, or a damage gain, and you'll get the full benefit of pandemic. Are these features that your addon has? Without them, it will be tough to get some of us to switch, since we are so entrenched with Affdots.

Also, according to the description, this addon is only good for Affliction, which also reduces its functionality for Warlocks, since Affdots tracks duration and power for spells in all Warlock specs, not just Affliction. The other specs would definitely need to be added in order to make this a viable alternative.

tl;dr: Wrote addon for AffliLock for tracking DoTs and their strength.

I'm quite a perfectionist myself and I try to aim high with having made this addon. Now my question to everyone is: What should I change to the addon to make it good enough to make an appearance on the AffliWarlock guide page?

Warlocks have AffDots already and it has a lot more options and work-ability then your addon. Unless you find a way to make your addon to something different or something better then AffDots, I don't see yours taking off.

Also - both addons will be almost obsolete in a few months once WoD comes out and snap shotting goes away. 

From the screenshots, its a little hard to tell how that addon actually tells you when the proper time is to refresh or empower your dots. Something a lot of us love about Affdots is that in the settings, you can change it to be bars instead of icons, and the bars will change colors to let you know if refreshing your current dots will be a damage gain, but clip your pandemic, a damage loss, or a damage gain, and you'll get the full benefit of pandemic. Are these features that your addon has? Without them, it will be tough to get some of us to switch, since we are so entrenched with Affdots.

Also, according to the description, this addon is only good for Affliction, which also reduces its functionality for Warlocks, since Affdots tracks duration and power for spells in all Warlock specs, not just Affliction. The other specs would definitely need to be added in order to make this a viable alternative.

Thank you for your reply!

You're right, it's difficult to see on these screenshots! I didn't notice that yet. You can see the color change on the texture when it's about to expire, but whether you re-apply is shown by the number above the texture turning green. Having said that: green doesn't mean you have to re-apply, it's merely an indicator that your current buffscore is higher than the one that you applied the DoT with.

I have chosen for this layout because I liked it this way, the timers indicate if it's nearly running out (they are actually mob specific). Therefore there won't be an option to make them appear as bars.

My addon only shows the color on the buffscores, so it's for you to decide when to re-apply. You can set your own offsets when the textures change color. The default offsets are set so that you will get full benefit of pandemic; not wasting any seconds. But you can change these offsets however much you like.

Indeed, this addon is only for Affliction warlocks. It was the first addon I've rewritten it too and I'm missing it for Destro already myself. I'm actually planning to rewrite it for many more classes. Unholy DK is in the making and you can find it for SubRogue here. So Destro functionality will come.

Lastly, I've changed the description to answer more of the questions as it quite unclear before what this addon actually did. Thanks again for your feedback :)

Warlocks have AffDots already and it has a lot more options and work-ability then your addon. Unless you find a way to make your addon to something different or something better then AffDots, I don't see yours taking off.

Also - both addons will be almost obsolete in a few months once WoD comes out and snap shotting goes away. 

Please tell me which options.

I'm not familiar with all AffDots options, but I think the only significant ones are:

• show score as percentage - I've already gotten a request to make this a feature, which I will add.
  • bars instead of textures

As said in the above post, bars will not become an option I'm afraid. I liked this setup, so I made an addon which holds everythink I thought to be useful for AffliLocks. My intention is not to replace AffDots, it's merely an alternative. So there will be differences between them.

The problem is, in order to be a viable alternative for most folks, it needs to contain the complete functionality of what they already use, while offering another benefit. An example for this would be Skada, which offers the same functionality as recount, but uses far less system resources, making it a viable alternative for folks with lower powered systems. Another thing Affdots does, which I mentioned before, is that it not only tells you when your dots are better, but is color coded so you know if you'll clip pandemic or not, to get the full effect of replacing your dots, so it gives you a better idea of if its worth replacing your dots, or waiting.

The problem is, in order to be a viable alternative for most folks, it needs to contain the complete functionality of what they already use, while offering another benefit. An example for this would be Skada, which offers the same functionality as recount, but uses far less system resources, making it a viable alternative for folks with lower powered systems. Another thing Affdots does, which I mentioned before, is that it not only tells you when your dots are better, but is color coded so you know if you'll clip pandemic or not, to get the full effect of replacing your dots, so it gives you a better idea of if its worth replacing your dots, or waiting.

In my addon you can set the offsets yourself, they're by default set to when you get full use of pandemic. So it's just implemented in another way smile.png

Edited by Spectre93

For me I have Affdots tracking curse of elements, dot strength, mob HP %, embers/demonic fury/shards, haunt, havoc and sac PAC amount. Unless your add-on can do all that and do it better you won't find many users

For me I have Affdots tracking curse of elements, dot strength, mob HP %, embers/demonic fury/shards, haunt, havoc and sac PAC amount. Unless your add-on can do all that and do it better you won't find many users

My addon tracks dot strength, shards and haunt. As said above, it's Affliction only, so it doesn't need the other things you named. Except for perhaps Curse, but I haven't thought of that yet, since I always have a rogue in my raid which makes the debuff redundant. So I might think about doing something with that later.

Edited by Spectre93

Even if you make the best snapshotting addon in the world, it becomes obsolete the second that 6.0 is released. 

Obviously the wheel is turning but the hamster is dead... when you bring an addon to the wow community you either have to bring something we don't have or you have to improve on a concept thats already out there. You're doing neither and as Zagam said it'll be obsolete in a few months anyway

• Like 1