FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Taalox

Simcraft vs Virtual Reality

Hi all,

Lately I've been trying to improve my Enhancement shaman a bit so I started looking at various angles.

The most common one is Simcraft so I imported all the data and came out at 335k with my current gear and setup.

that's 100k more than I'm actually able to do on live. Are these gaps normal or must I be doing something very very wrong to be lagging behind so much?

Hi there Taalox,

There are a lot of different parameters which you can change in Simcraft which do affect your simmed outcome - for us to assess whether your sims should be even remotely accurate we would need to know what parameters you ran with.

However, even when you're running the best sim you can, you should be wary about how closely you compare your actual results to your sims. One thing to note is that sims usually don't take into account the number of different combinations of movement and adds which appear on almost all normal fights these days - it's very hard to find a good Patchwerk fight! So you should not expect to realistically meet the sim numbers, though you should still work hard to do your best!

If you can post your settings here, someone will be able to guide you in how well you're setting up your sims.

Oh there were settings? I just ran it straight out of the box so I guess they were the default ones.

Just knowing the simcraft numbers can be way off is enough for now. No need to give up on playing a shammy yet at least

Yeah, the primary ones to look for are "fight length" and "iterations"; making both longer will probably increase the accuracy.

The thing is; Simcraft is extremely good for looking at the relative change in DPS for different things (like talents, rotations, etc) because its numbers are consistent throughout different runs. It is not always completely accurate in terms of the absolute numbers you can put out, though the mileage varies depending on fight and role. You *can* get quite accurate results, but they are in no way guaranteed and you should always take a pinch of salt with you.

Most likely, the biggest factor is fight length.  Enhancement is pretty front-loaded (especially with the standard EM-PE build); you'll burst at three or four times your stable dps, and you'll asymptotically approach that number as the fight progresses (with spikes for each CD usage, naturally).  If simcraft is looking at a 3 minute window and you're comparing to a 10 minute fight, it's simply not possible to get those sort of numbers over that timeframe unless you have staggering luck with trinkets.

I want to say offhand that the default fight length for simcraft is 6 minutes +/- 30 seconds.  Comparing yourself to a fight of that length with minimal impact from movement (like Malkorok for melee) would be most useful.  If you want to get a sense for how much raid mechanics impact your dps, beat up a target dummy for the same duration as a fight you have logged and see how well you do, then see what simcraft thinks for that same duration.

It's a very powerful tool, but it's important to remember that it does what you tell it to (knowingly or otherwise), not necessarily what you want it to!  Like Stoove said, it's best for doing comparisons between talent choices or gearsets, since accurately modeling a raid environment is practically impossible.

If you have logs, we could also take a look at those and see if anything jumps out.

• Like 1

Secondary to that, remember that Simcraft automatically acts as if you have all raid buffs/debuffs/flask/food/prepot.  So if you're comparing yourself in an LFR situation, where you may not have all those things available, you're absolutely going to come up short.

As mentioned by Spark, if you'd like to log something to WarcraftLogs, we'd be more than happy to take a look and suggest any changes/improvements.

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll pick this up again after my holiday. Will soon be too hammered to care about simcraft or numbers

• Like 2

Thanks for the tips so far. I'll pick this up again after my holiday. Will soon be too hammered to care about simcraft or numbers

Sounds like you have some hard work ahead of you RL > WoW, you know.  =D

The other setting that makes a big difference is the Fight Style.

Patchwerk assumes you do nothing but stand and dps... not very realistic for SoO.

HelterSkelter is the one I use and it shows considerably less dps