FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Lollerblazed

How can I time my ascendance/potions better? (Ele DPS help)

Heyy guys :) 

I've only recently started looking through the Icyveins forum posts and I cant believe how much I have improved on my DPS after reading up the great advice you all have given to others. Although I feel like my rotation is much smoother and I'm able to keep up (most of the time?) the necessary debuffs, i'm still very unsure as to the right moments to use Ascendance and my 2nd potion. I feel like it's a combination of not being able to gauge the fight length and just tunnel visioning into rotation-maintaining mode :P If it's possible, can anyone please help take a look at my logs for this flex 1 wing and give me some tips to improve?

Here is my log: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/zy3wvYxqbBdJ4Kjg

and here is my armory: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Lollerblazed/advanced

I don't know if I should treat Protectors differently than other single target fights in terms of popping CDs so I went ahead and linked the whole wing instead of just Sha of Pride; just a note, I got imprisoned twice xD

Fight by fight, Ascendance / Second Pot will be very flexible on it's usage, and you bring up a really great case point on it.

The rules I follow for my second Ascendance are this:

Is the fight typically longer than ~6:50?  If yes, try to time your second Ascend close to it's cooldown, disregarding other buffs.

Did we use Bloodlust/Heroism off the pull?  If no, try to time your second Ascend w/ Lust/Hero.  Good examples of this are Sha of Pride, Galakras, Dark Shamans, Nazgrim, or H Paragons/Garrosh.

Is the fight shorter than ~6:50, but longer than ~3:30?  If yes, try to time your second Ascend w/ an LMG proc.  I'll typically suggest ignoring trinkets, but in that case the LMG would allow you to get several extra Lava Bursts while it doesn't have a cooldown, and it's a huge gain.

Are there multi-target or burst phases that I could exploit?  If yes, try to do so!  Things like Protectors when Sun does her Dark Meditation, you may be able to Lava Beam 5 targets, which would be a huge boost to your personal numbers, as well as pushing that phase so much faster.  There isn't one of these situations in Siege of Org, but if a boss had a damage taken boost, that would also be an opportune time to use it.  (IE: Jin'Rokh in ToT)

heyy Hybrys! thanks so much for your reply :) Perhaps following on from your answer, I'm curious to know why specific trinket procs such as Expanded Mind are not taken into consideration for Ascendance timing, I've always been under the impression that they were the perfect opportunity because they could fit into that 20 second window. 

Finally, I know this may not be the right forum to ask this in but it seems relevant given the nature of the question, but does the same save-CD-for-late-lust apply to melee classes like Warriors too? How much of a boost do melee classes get from bloodlust?

heyy Hybrys! thanks so much for your reply smile.png Perhaps following on from your answer, I'm curious to know why specific trinket procs such as Expanded Mind are not taken into consideration for Ascendance timing, I've always been under the impression that they were the perfect opportunity because they could fit into that 20 second window. 

Finally, I know this may not be the right forum to ask this in but it seems relevant given the nature of the question, but does the same save-CD-for-late-lust apply to melee classes like Warriors too? How much of a boost do melee classes get from bloodlust?

I actually completely disregard Int procs when I'm doing my rotation, because while they are large contributors to your damage, there's nothing to really change in your rotation.

I feel like the LMG offers a better experience, especially at a point where it nearly doubles the number of casts you can fit into an Ascend,  If you tracked your PBI's internal cooldown, it may be viable to stack both.  More casts vs better casts, I'm always going to go with more casts, though.,

I took some time trying out your way of completely disregarding int procs and I was really surprised at how much of a dmg boost it was! I guess I was always tunnel visioning those procs because 10k+ int just looks like so much. The rotation feels much more comfortable and it eliminated the problem i've been having of holding on to Ascendance too long whilst constantly watching that ICD that I'd miss out an opportunity to fit it in a 3rd one, or even a 2nd good one! I've definitely been trying to over complicate my timings to try squeeze out as much as I can out of those procs but I guess that backfired. Thanks again for the advice and I'll post more if I have any questions if that's ok? :D

I'm sure we'd love it if you posted any other questions, or even to join in the conversations and questions others have!

I also forgot to answer your question about melee! It's hard to put anyone into a box like that, but most classes should be using their CDs on cooldown, as well as delaying when it wouldn't cause the loss of a cycle, for BL.

Typically for melee, Bloodlust/Heroism just increases autoattack damage, and resource generation, and that's never bad to have during increased damage periods.

hey there, i have a question about ascendance so instead of making new topic i'm going to ask it from here ;

should i use unleash elements during ascendance or is it better to ignore cd of unleash elements and keep spamming lava burst ?

If you have Unleashed Fury, cast that, then Ascendance, then spam.  I suppose if you absolutely could not wait for UE's cooldown before starting Ascendance you could cast it midway through but try to avoid needing to so.  (Same advice goes for Elemental Blast, find/replace "UF" with "EB".)

If you don't have Unleashed Fury, don't cast Unleash Elements.

Edited by SparkSovereign

i ve unleashed fury and im allready casting u.elements before casting ascendance but during ascendance ue cd is coming off so thats what i am asking :) . but kitsu gave my answer i guess, thx.

i ve unleashed fury and im allready casting u.elements before casting ascendance but during ascendance ue cd is coming off so thats what i am asking smile.png . but kitsu gave my answer i guess, thx.

It shouldn't come up like that.  He's saying that you should immediately use UE, then go into Ascendance.  Preferably, you'd be refreshing Flame Shock --> Unleash --> Ascendance.  If you did that, the CD of Unleash should be equal to the uptime of Ascendance, and it should be a non-issue.

But, as Kitsu said, keep spamming.  Missing those big LvBs can be a big loss of damage, even compared to the buffed single and remainder you get.

• Like 1