FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
grumbachr

Alliance in WoD?

After watching the live cast today, it stuck me that almost nothing about WoD seems to give people that play on the Alliance side anything to be excited about. 

Maybe my lore ignorance is on full display here but Bliz should though the Alliance folks a scrap or two. 

Blizzard seems to increasingly be ignoring the alliance lately.

- Horde were the Azeroth chopper winner, and it was only decided that alliance would also get one after a lot of complaining from alliance players.

- Alliance main city in WoD is no longer going to be Karabor (The Black Temple). I don't even play alliance anymore but just the thought of the black temple as a main city was one of the most exciting parts of WoD to me.

- Almost all of the lore in WoD is going to be horde based. We're going back to the home world of the horde, alliance are just sort of players in the story here, but the main story is the horde.

I'm sure there will be more for the alliance though. They aren't going to completely leave them out, it's just that the main storyline is about the Horde, so they're the ones getting all the attention in the spoilers.

Curious to know if  there was ever a time where it felt like expansions were ever Alliance specific in the past?  MoP is my first expansion so I don't have much experience with the older stuff.

Wrath comes to mind as a blatently alliance expansion. Arthas was an Alliance prince, the Kirin Tor (Dalaran main city) were an Alliance faction. Wrath very much had an alliance story line that the horde were just sort of written into.

WoD is going to be the opposite, we're following an ousted horde leader into the homeworld of the horde, where we will learn the lore of a whole bunch of famous horde leaders, and the story just happens to be adapted enough to fit the alliance in there.

Wrath was really the last time and it was only because it followed the Warcraft 3 storyline. Cata and MoP were dramatically Horde heavy Lore with Thrall basically being the WoW Warchief. 

Cata seems fairly neutral in my opinion. Deathwing is certainly a worldwide threat. It is a little bit skewed to the horde side because of the whole emo Shaman Thrall is the only one that can save the world storyline, but overall I feel it's less skewed than Wrath was for alliance.

MoP: I can't stand the lore or storyline of MoP. until SoO honeslty none of it should have had anything to do with either faction. Alliance and Horde venture into pandaria, our bad juju causes all these Sha's to pop up all over the place, and the Mogu start going rogue and now we need to clean up the mess we started. SoO is once again very horde centric (we're raiding Org) but really, doesn't it make more sense for the alliance to be the ones raiding org and not the horde? why are the horde raiding themselves? Yes, they're overthrowing a corrupt warchief, but the way the raid goes down it just fits more in line with the Alliance storming the gates and working their way up to Garrosh's throne room. It's practically LFM For The Alliance!. If the Horde were truly the ones overthrowing Garrosh they would have just walked into Garrosh's room as the horde heroes they are and had a throw down. they wouldn't have needed to raid the 13 previous bosses.