FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Sifon

What am I doing wrong!? with logs and multiple specs

Hello everyone, I've been back more than a month now and I'm clearing SoO weekly but my performance is still underwhelming me. Before I went on break, I killed most heroics only 2-3 times so I know there is a learning curve to get tips-tricks sorted but especially today's garrosh attempts made me go nuts.

First, I realized mouseover-shadowburn-havoc triangle is still buggy so I had to swap something around and my shadowburn damage got a lot better. Also I noticed my overall chaos bolt is lower than other locks. They have 6-10 ilvls over me its a factor but it's almost %25 less so I need to be more careful about chaos bolt casts but if I'm missing something else compared to other warlocks, I have no idea what it is.

More importantly, Demonology. My guild keeps insisting on demo sucking donkey balls but I cannot describe how much I like to play it. I'm doing okay on some fights but results are never shiny. I'm just a trial in this guild so if I want to play demo, I must be damn good on it. So I would appreciate even the smallest help-tip you can give to me. When I look myself on epeen, comparing before-after break results I seriously get weepy :(

Some notes: I didn't realize mouseover-shadowburn problem until today so my results on spoils and maybe other fights I cannot recognize should be low because of that. I got asked to play max dps spec for all fights so I went to respec for affliction on protectors, misbind my CoEx and ninjapulled so that fight is completely void for me. My result on dark shamans looked better on last week compared to other locks but this week I was lower. I wanted to play demo on thok but I got forced to play desto because "bats must die asap!" and interrupted a lot.

Today's logs containing 15 garrosh pulls: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/dtDKfzHNyx26kgWP

Wednesday's clear until klaxxi: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/6d9v7FC3hGVzM8f4

All personal logs so far: http://www.warcraftlogs.com/guilds/usercalendar/35196

First I'll take a very quick look at Destro on Iron Juggernaut.

1) Immolate - Good uptime at almost 98%. Decent crit rate at 41%. You should aim to get this as close to 50% as possible considering it should always be buffed by at least 4pc (+15%), but more often than not in a fight where you took AD it will have many periods with around 50% extra crit chance (DS+4pc+trinket proc). I noticed you had a few immolate casts where you did not have 4pc up.

2) Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn - Good to see that it was ahead of your Incinerate damage. Always a sign of a capable player. You only cast 2 unbuffed Chaos Bolts, and 1 unbuffed Shadowburn. You got shafted a bit by a late PBI proc, but I think your decision to use your second charge of AD might have been unwise. Hard to tell really. I think it would have been better to save it for a BBoY proc in execute with second potion and unleash 4 shadowburns at 8-10 stacks of BBoY. Your second potion was used with nothing else, which kinda sucks.

3) Burning Embers - You didn't seem to cap embers at any point in the fight which is good. 

Overall conclusion - you did really well here! You were very close to 400k DPS which is a very respectable number for 577ilvl.

Pro tip - havoc the mines and cleave incinerates. You get 1 ember for each incinerate that leaves your hands. Try and get the mine that the tank will take last (if he follows a predictable pattern).

Now I'll look at Thok the Bloodthirsty

1) Immolate - 77% uptime is bad. It also crit less than 40% of the time, which means you weren't snapshotting it with your 4pc too well. These two factors will boost your DPS a tad.

2) Chaos Bolt/Shadowburn - Chaos Bolt as your main source of damage is again, very good. You cast a few unbuffed Chaos Bolts but largely did ok again. Shadowburn usage was what let you down. The Jailers do not refund embers, so sniping them with unbuffed shadowburns is a waste of resources. Better to just chaos bolt the boss more. You also only cast 3 shadowburns on the bats. You should get off AT LEAST 6. You also forgot to Havoc the boss here. You missed out on 9 Shadowburns buffed by Dark Soul + Potion + 4pc, you're looking at 9M damage lost with the potential for quite a bit more with lucky crits. You also didn't glyph Unending Resolve so only got 2 uses out of a possible 4, including one on the bats to make your FnB spam much smoother.

Here is a link to a log from way back in April. I was around 576 ilvl at the time.

Note how my damage spikes to over 2M during the bat phase, whereas you barely cleared 800k, and your guild even used Bloodlust here. Your opening burst was also quite lackluster, not even clearing 800k, to my peak of 1.5M. 

Only 4 casts of FnB incinerate to my 9 also means you lost a ton of AoE damage. I believe glyphing unending resolve and using it here would have made things even better for you.

TBH I think that's pretty much it with Thok. You need to really clean up your act during the bat phase to see top damage. I understand your ilvl is holding you back compared to the rest of your group, and your kill is 2 minutes longer than my example, but there's nothing stopping you pushing over 400k by fixing some of these details.

• Like 1

Thank you for your answer but as I said I didn't want to play destro on thok because I never did before. I got interrupted while bats were alive and it gut all my damage. I panicked when I got interrupted and couldn't havoc or havoced but couldn't cleave because of mouseover-shadowburn issue. I thought it would be fixed in last 10 months :D

As destro, only fight I cannot understand is garrosh. I was behind on other warlocks on total damage even though I use 2nd dark soul for 2nd add pack on phase 1 to boost my damage but I was miles behind on garrosh single target.

As destro, only fight I cannot understand is garrosh. I was behind on other warlocks on total damage even though I use 2nd dark soul for 2nd add pack on phase 1 to boost my damage but I was miles behind on garrosh single target.

Looked at some of your logs from Garrosh. And the lack of singletarget damage is pretty clear. 
During the beginning of p1 you´re only using FnB spam when Chaos bolting the boss is for the singletarget boost is vital for the encounter. During the opener you should use Chaos Bolt when all your procs are up at the same time. 

Tip:

- If you´re on engineer you should use glyphed havoc on Garrosh for 2 big Chaos Bolts. 
 - If you´re not on engineer use it on Garrosh and spam Shadowburn when the adds are about to die.

When I´m not top dps on our kills, I comfort myself with being top dps on Garroshdamage.

Edited by Meaty

Fine but if you play it again then at least now you know what to focus on... I guess?

But let's look at Garrosh then as I consider it to be one of my best fights, having done progress on it 3 different time across both raid sizes.

I'm going to be looking at wipe 14, which was 11 minutes and 55 seconds long, as this was the closest you got to a kill.

First thing I wanted to note was talent choice. You went with AD again, however for Destruction I wouldn't use anything other than KJC for the last 3 bosses. You aren't having to do engineer or weapon baiting, which does lend itself to AD thanks to less movement overall, but then your guild isn't pushing p3 before second intermission (I believe if you didn't do the weapon killing strat you would make it as you got to 16%, you can even lust in p2 as the DPS check in p3 is easier).

What this meant was that you had to deal with 2 empowered whirling corruptions where you are running continuously for more than 10 seconds, and having to fel flame for that long hurts your DPS, because you will go oom. You cast a whopping 41 fel flames this fight. Also phase 4 does contain a fair bit of movement when the boss is being dragged across the room during bombardment. It all adds up, and when we consider how long the fight is (lessening the worth of AD in general) and also how weak Destruction's version of Dark Soul is in comparison to Affliction and Demonology, it really isn't worth it to take AD, imo.

If you do insist on using it, then you need to be smarter with your personal portal. Pre placing it where the boss ends up after empowered whirling allows you to save time getting back in, and gets you back to DPSing much sooner.

Immolate - Uptime was lowish at 76%, but Garrosh can be iffy when you're skipping second intermission so this is likely ok. The fact that it only crit 32% of the time is quite bad though, and indicates that it was not snapshotted correctly with 4pc throughout the fight. You really need to strive to maintain 100% uptime on Immolate with the 4pc buff. I presume that you are tracking both the 5s buff and the subsequent 5s ICD (it's actually 10 seconds ICD but whatever) to predict when it will proc etc?

Havoc (prefacing this by saying I know you said you had issues with it, which can be seen by 9 casts and only 10 hits, I'll answer as if this is fixed for next time) - Your usage of this spell was ok but can be improved. You aren't using the glyph, so can cast it every 25 seconds. You did well on the first pack of adds, getting off all 3 shadowburns with Havoc onto the boss (these didn't cleave but will have with the fixed macro). You then should have havoc'd the boss when the wolfrider was approaching 20% to copy another 3 shadowburns, you managed 2 which is great but forgot to Havoc the boss. You then Havoc'd the boss when second pack was in execute range, but then you Shadowburned the boss instead of the adds. My guess is that you were trying to mouseover shadowburn, and the boss' hit box caused them to hit him. In this instance I manually target the low hp warbringers and mouse my mouse away before hitting the keybind. 

You generally kept up with Havoc throughout the fight, however in p3 you just stopped. There was an opportunity for at least another 2 uses of Havoc in this phase. When you have all your haste and crit procs running, it's great to Havoc a weapon and cleave a full pandemic'd Immolate for a large ember return.

Buffs and Cooldowns - Holy shit did you have insane luck with your BBoY. You got FOUR back to back procs in the opener, and another 2 back to back procs when the boss was transitioning into p2 and the second back of adds was dying. That's INSANE! You then used your potion afterwards, which I believe was to aid in clearing intermission one quickly? Unless you're struggling with your pack I think this was a bad idea. Also using second Dark Soul on the second pack is pure cheese but I've discussed that above already. Honestly though this fight is all about boss damage so you should be looking to improve your throughput there where possible, especially considering that your guild still gets second intermission.

Your PBI and Dark Soul were synced up for the first 3 procs, but the final 3 weren't at all which was a shame. Did you forget to use it? It was off cooldown in time but it appears you went into an empowered whirling corruption so you must have been distracted. This did cause everything to fall out of sync and you can gain damage by not letting this happen.

Burning Embers - You capped embers a few times during the fight but not majorly so, and this can be expected a few times on Garrosh anyway. What I will say though is that the amount of Chaos Bolts you cast can be improved. In a kill lasting just under 9 mins 30s, I cast 53 Chaos Bolts, whereas in your close to 12minute wipe, you only managed 47. We got off a similar amount of Shadowburns.

I think if you fixed your immolate uptime plus snapshotted with 4pc, you would generate a decent amount of embers over the fight, and also switching to KJC would greatly improve your ember generation in the latter stages of the fight.

My Log for comparison.

Edited by Liquidsteel

@Meaty thank you for your response and I will try to focus more on single target.

@Liquid Yes, if I play destro on thok(hope not) I will know what to focus on.

First of all thank you for huuge wall of text I really appreciate it. I'm a fan of KJC myself but when I saw myself falling behind other warlocks(not for this boss only), I swapped to AD. My guild's other warlocks seem to play with AD on every single fight, I think issue is them and not me. Also I don't remember going oom while moving for empowered whirls but I don't like spamming fel flame either.

I don't think I missed that much uptime on immolate. Crit % is low because we only dot weapons on p2 so I kept immolate ticking on 1-2 weapons all the time and I prioritize casting 1 chaos bolt with 4pc proc than immolate refreshing, this might be an issue. I wasn't tracking icd of 4pc but I could mostly guess it when it procs and when it doesn't. I'm adding icd tracking to my ui today.

For havoc on p1, if I try to cleave 3 shadowburns on wolf rider, I miss cleaves on 2nd add pack. I usually mouseover from nameplates not bodies but still I might have targeted garrosh or our raid leader told us to focus on garrosh so we wouldn't get 2nd engineer. Probably not having KJC explains my lack of havoc usage on p3. We move a lot on p3 so either I couldn't find a close enough weapon to havoc or I distracted from all that movement.

Getting distracted should be the reason for PBI-DS sync too, god I should have taken KJC but on another side KJC will be gone soon so I should also be getting comfortable with heavy movement and that's another reason I've been favoring AD over KJC.

Capping embers is an issue I had when I had 30+ bits and cleaving immo-incin with havoc on weapons. I'm usually between 20-35 bits because I cast one chaos bolt when I got 3rd full ember and 4pc procced and next ember doesn't proc it because sometimes it regens so fast with 3 immolates up. This can be solved with better planning I think.

Again thank you so much for sparing time to write so much helpful information. Taking KJC alone should comfort me a lot.

I think I'm fixed for destro, most of the issues were thing I can forsee but I cannot analyze my logs deeply because between work and raiding I find myself tired all the time. I hope I can fix my demo play too.

No problem!

Another tip I forgot, which I can't check now as I'm on my phone, is to drop RoF before MCs. If you get MCd you get max embers instantly due to all the targets. I tend to bleed down to 2 embers before MC because of this, maybe even down to 1 ember if im feeling lucky and DS is still over 30s away.

I did check immolate crit percentage on Garrosh only and it was 31%, with 32% being your overall crit rate. If I checked it properly you crit more on the weapons than on the big man himself.

For reference I run destro with about 30% crit raid buffed, and strive for 50% crit rate if possible, with 45% being my acceptable number.

Sometimes I drop RoF before MCs but I usually forget it and cast it later but tip noted. My gear isn't crit heavy, I only have 5314 crit rating which translates into %21 unbuffed crit chance.

Unless I'm doing wrong which is quite possible, I see my immolate crit tick chance %47 on wipe 14. But it's likely to me failing on warcraftlogs because I'm new on it. There is a screenshot of what I see. Garrosh Hellscream-Immolate-Wipe 14.

tjbMJ3Z.jpg

Edited by Sifon

Am I doing it correct now? I see %36 now so I doubt it biggrin.png

EDIT: I guess it is immolate casts not ticks.

EDIT2: Nvm found it.

GaoaWxQ.jpg

Edited by Sifon

Pro tip - havoc the mines and cleave incinerates. You get 1 ember for each incinerate that leaves your hands. Try and get the mine that the tank will take last (if he follows a predictable pattern).

WUT ohmy.png .  One year.  A whole year, and I did not know this.