FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Starym

Preach at the Blizzard Campus With a Surprise Cameo

60086-a-look-at-the-activision-blizzard-

Here's a bit of nice community news, as Preach put out a very funny video to announce he's visiting the Blizzard campus, and it's not just as a tourist either!

As you'll recall there was a bit of drama as Preach stopped playing the game for a year or so (even having announced he'd no longer be covering the game), and then subsequently did not get invited to the Dragonflight Alpha. That in turn caused a lot of the community to both start assuming Blizzard had blacklisted Preach and asking that they give him the Alpha (although there was also a portion of the community which did not want him to get it). All that in mind it's really nice to see a true WoW veteran "making up" with Blizzard and at the very least getting some valuable feedback in directly to Blizzard, although there might be even more to this than a simple exchange of ideas. Nothing has been announced yet on either side, but anything is possible, as Preach even tweeted out this teaser message before the video:

So whatever it is that's happening over at the Blizzard campus, we're very happy to see players and the devs getting along (and doing pretty damn funny sketches while they're at it)!

1 hour ago, Arcling said:

So that boycott didn't last. This guy fed on negativity for so long, but now he is back as if nothing happened.

he fed on negativity? i think u read too much twitter, preach literally made 1 video about quitting bc the game isnt fun right now and all the allegations going on then never talked about it again, drama starters are the ppl who kept it in the light and dragged it on

always this "i quit x" *filtered* and then 4 minutes later they got the attention and start to play it again as if nothing has happened.. just tiresome.. streamer are the biggest PR whores on the social market..

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aiin said:

he fed on negativity? i think u read too much twitter, preach literally made 1 video about quitting bc the game isnt fun right now and all the allegations going on then never talked about it again, drama starters are the ppl who kept it in the light and dragged it on

Funny you assume that. I don't read Twitter, I don't even have Twitter, so your post doesn't make any sense.

He certainly made more than one video because he kept talking about it from time to time, he only stopped dedicated coverage, but WoW appeared in some discussions later on. Besides, it does make him appear somewhat insincere. He had a lot of criticism, not just the lawsuit stuff, but overall state of the game. Now he's back, everything is forgiven and "doing some awesome stuff". These boycotts don't work and those guys usually return after scandals disappeared from the news cycle.

Edited by Arcling

47 minutes ago, Arcling said:

Funny you assume that. I don't read Twitter, I don't even have Twitter, so your post doesn't make any sense.

He certainly made more than one video because he kept talking about it from time to time, he only stopped dedicated coverage, but WoW appeared in some discussions later on. Besides, it does make him appear somewhat insincere. He had a lot of criticism, not just the lawsuit stuff, but overall state of the game. Now he's back, everything is forgiven and "doing some awesome stuff". These boycotts don't work and those guys usually return after scandals disappeared from the news cycle.

Yeeea I'm gonna have to disagree there. First off was it a boycott? From what I saw it was just "FYI I'm not playing WoW anymore, here's why" (although I didn't follow it all that closely so could be wrong). Also what exactly is the alternative? You give feedback about the game while playing, at a certain point the negative outweights the positive and you stop playing. Then you come back to the game when the positive outweights the negative/there's something new to check out. Isn't that exactly what all of us do with all ongoing games? I mean it's what I do at least. I don't go around announcing it but that's just cos I don't have a stream that wants to know what I'll be playing.

This isn't just aimed at you btw, just generally these types of comments. Is the criticism here that he ONLY returned cos Blizz asked him to come and talk to them? Even then why wouldn't he go tell them what sucks about the game even is he doesn't like it? Wouldn't you?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Starym said:

Yeeea I'm gonna have to disagree there. First off was it a boycott? From what I saw it was just "FYI I'm not playing WoW anymore, here's why" (although I didn't follow it all that closely so could be wrong). Also what exactly is the alternative? You give feedback about the game while playing, at a certain point the negative outweights the positive and you stop playing. Then you come back to the game when the positive outweights the negative/there's something new to check out. Isn't that exactly what all of us do with all ongoing games? I mean it's what I do at least. I don't go around announcing it but that's just cos I don't have a stream that wants to know what I'll be playing.

This isn't just aimed at you btw, just generally these types of comments. Is the criticism here that he ONLY returned cos Blizz asked him to come and talk to them? Even then why wouldn't he go tell them what sucks about the game even is he doesn't like it? Wouldn't you?

He said that he isn't going to cover it anymore which wasn't exactly true, since he kept talking about it. He also mentioned that he was playing it for a bit after announcement, just not on camera.

You are correct, we leave and come back to games. But the difference is Preach made it sound like a huge deal, he just shouldn't have done it this way. Instead of saying that he isn't going to cover it anymore and being so negative about almost everything, he should have just said that he is simply taking a break. But then it wouldn't sound as dramatic, less views, no drama. He also claimed that he got blacklisted by Blizzard, yet he was invited recently (so no proof that he ever was, if this was true, he likely wouldn't even be there now). Hence the "feeding on a negativity" part.

Edited by Arcling

He never said he was just quitting the game, entirely. He said he would no longer cover the game, and he was finishing out that content that he was already involved in. He then went to cover FF14 almost exclusively.

In that SAME video, he says that he may come back to the game if they fix their ish and start building the game for the playerbase again and stop dumpstering all of us. Having Alpha and Beta allowed him to give feedback and he says in another video that he had sat w/ Blizz (I think it was HR? Maybe have just been the community team) in a meeting and they seemed genuinely interested in his feedback as a person who left the WoW community and has a big voice. So he gave them his time.

Maybe if you actually watch the video and get the first hand understanding rather than what some 3rd part drama-starter says on Twitter you might actually know what you're talking about. Or at least be able to give an accurate measure of the actions that were taken.

2 hours ago, HuldanMeGroyn said:

He never said he was just quitting the game, entirely. He said he would no longer cover the game, and he was finishing out that content that he was already involved in. He then went to cover FF14 almost exclusively.

In that SAME video, he says that he may come back to the game if they fix their ish and start building the game for the playerbase again and stop dumpstering all of us. Having Alpha and Beta allowed him to give feedback and he says in another video that he had sat w/ Blizz (I think it was HR? Maybe have just been the community team) in a meeting and they seemed genuinely interested in his feedback as a person who left the WoW community and has a big voice. So he gave them his time.

Maybe if you actually watch the video and get the first hand understanding rather than what some 3rd part drama-starter says on Twitter you might actually know what you're talking about. Or at least be able to give an accurate measure of the actions that were taken.

Sorry, just to check, are you talking to me in relation to the actual article content or to one of the commenters?

I'm glad that he had the chance to play WoW again during Alpha and Beta testing for DF.  Sometimes a good break is needed before we pick something back up in the sense of gaming.  People hating on streamers for 'x' also forget that streamers are aiding in new subscriptions to the featured game for newer players.  It's basically free advertisement for the gaming company.

Blizzard's half baked expansion of SL and the lawsuit coming to light over a year ago is essentially Blizzard shooting themselves in the foot.  It wasn't the streamers that did that.  That was all on Blizzard.  And when that happened Blizzard basically lost their free sponsers to WoW.  Now since they are under new management and under a new team it just makes sense to reach out to those free sponsers to mend broken bridges and give second chances.

On 10/26/2022 at 8:23 PM, Ragingwolf said:

Now since they are under new management and under a new team it just makes sense to reach out to those free sponsers to mend broken bridges and give second chances.

But it's the same management and same team. Same leaders since Legion (John Hight and Ion Hazzikostas). There is no new team. Of course, some people below join and leave all the time, but it's same as usual. I don't know where you got that impression.

Edited by Arcling

35 minutes ago, Arcling said:

But it's the same management and same team. Same leaders since Legion (John Hight and Ion Hazzikostas). There is no new team. Of course, some people below join and leave all the time, but it's same as usual. I don't know where you got that impression.

A few bad apples don't represent the whole bunch.

In the wake of these events, Brack, one of the few individuals directly named in the suit, announced he was leaving Blizzard to "pursue new opportunities", and will be replaced by co-leads Jen Oneal, the lead of Vicarious Visions and the first woman in a leadership role for the company, and Mike Ybarra, a Blizzard. executive vice president.

I'm not talking about the Game Director in general.  That quote is from Wikipedia.  Those two are steering Blizzard into a new direction.  Or did you simply fell asleep on that bit of news.

Edited by Ragingwolf

1 hour ago, Ragingwolf said:

I'm not talking about the Game Director in general.  That quote is from Wikipedia.  Those two are steering Blizzard into a new direction.  Or did you simply fell asleep on that bit of news.

Sounds like you fell asleep, because Jen Oneal has been gone for months now (and reportedly she wasn't treated well there). Only Ybarra is left (also he is only the "leader" of Blizzard part, position of president has been dissolved since Brack left and Kotick is still CEO of ABK). These people aren't developers, they aren't responsible for the game's direction. Their job is different. You said "new team", they aren't part of any team that is developing games.

Edited by Arcling

1 hour ago, Arcling said:

Sounds like you fell asleep, because Jen Oneal has been gone for months now (and reportedly she wasn't treated well there). Only Ybarra is left (also he is only the "leader" of Blizzard part, position of president has been dissolved since Brack left and Kotick is still CEO of ABK). These people aren't developers, they aren't responsible for the game's direction. Their job is different. You said "new team", they aren't part of any team that is developing games.

Then blame Wiki.  A developer will develop the work doesn't mean it will be seen by the light of day till it goes through the upper chain for approval.