Drahkmar

Some questions regarding Balance AoE

Sign in to follow this  

5 posts in this topic

Hey, I'm trying out Boomkin on my druid before WoD, see what my main alt will be. I know changes will be made to Boomkins, but I'm just trying to get a general feel for it.

Single target rotation is going pretty well, but in AoE situations I feel I'm lacking, mainly because I'm not at all sure what my rotation should be at what amount of targets.

I feel that the class guide isn't very specific when it comes to what to do with what amount of targets, so I was hoping you guys could help me out!

First of all - Boomkin aoe sux. If I want to have good aoe damage I simply do a lot of single target damage to multiple targets. What I mean by that is just continue cycling eclipses and put as many eclipsed dots as you can, while still maintaining NG buff uptime. It's easier said than done. However in WoD our Starfall will be brought back as full aoe spell, some other changes will be done, but as far as I know - boomkin always was a strong single target dps class. So in our 10hc raids I simply leave aoe to Ele shammy or warlock or hunt - those, who are good at it.

If you want to get to know Boomkin in preparation for WoD, your best bet is to either get on the Beta and play or simply don't play at all.

Right now, boomkins are a weaker spec for all forms of damage. The only situation in which a boomkin performs very well is a very short fight with minimal targets where the opening burst can account for more of your damage. But, there are other classes with stronger openers. There are other classes with better sustained DPS. There are other classes with better AOE DPS. Boomkin doesn't really have any niche other than being a better option over a Shadowpriest to provide spell haste.

Hardly anything about the spec is going to play or feel the way it does right now. Right now, the spec is constrained to having to cycle eclipses and managing your energy and Nature's Grace uptime. AoE simply isn't an option. At all. The most you can do is multi-DoT a few targets (up to about 3 or so), but after that you just cap out.

Energy and cycling are fully taken care of for you in WoD, and options are going to be in to be less restricted and less limited. Boomkins will have control over their single target burst timing, and they'll have more options for AoE.

Boomkin AOE is not quiet that bad. Yes, other classes like a Warlock or Hunter are better, but ours is not that weak.

Its just important to know when to AOE with Hurricane and prepare for it and when not to do AOE.

in SoO Heroic I only AOE at the following bosses:

- Immerseus: Before pull I lay down some shrooms at the spot where the adds are being tanked. When they spawn and are collected together at this point i execute the shrooms and then hit Hurricane. (Not AstralStorm or w/e its called in english)

- Sha: I only AOE with shrooms and Hurricane when the 3rd Aoe packs spawns (Lots of them)

- Thok: I execute some shrooms when the bats are engaging the raid. But no Hurricane. Usually with our tatctis my 3 Minute CDs have resetted and I pop CA and INC and Dot everyone. MUCHO DPS!

- Garrosh: Prepare some shrooms at the spot where the adds are beeing tanked and Hurricane them afterwards within phase 1

Hurricane is a DPS loss in almost every situation you could possibly run into, especially if you're channeling it for more than a tick or (at most) two.  Mushroom usage for adds is debatable. It's extra damage, but the mushrooms also serve to help force PBI to proc.  If PBI is late, it can really take out a lot of your boss DPS at the start, and what you'd make up in mushrooms on the adds later would simply be padding. You can't really defend Boomkin AOE by saying "it's worse than the good ones, but it's not THE worst."  If it's worse than everything else, it's bad.

List of specs with stronger AOE than Boomkin:

Warlock (Destruction)

Warlock (Demonology)

Hunter (Survival)

Hunter (Beast Mastery)

Shaman (Elemental)

Shaman (Enhancement)

Priest (Shadow)

Warrior (Fury)

Warrior (Arms)

Druid (Feral)

Druid (Resto with HOTW Hurricane)

Monk (Windwalker)

Other possible contenders:

Death Knight (Frost)

Paladin (Retribution)

Warrior (Protection)

Druid (Guardian)

Monk (Brewmaster)

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

Sign in to follow this  

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By molodirazz
      All applications will be reviewed and considered however if you are playing a class/spec combination we need then your chances of joining will be higher.
      A little bit of info about us:
      We are a group of friends and serious raiders on EU Twisting Nether looking to recruit skilled like-minded players into our roster for Mythic Legion raids and onwards. We will offer a sociable and fun raiding environment while maintaining a strong desire for progression. Our Discord is very active and we encourage all members to chat and play together not only for raids. The guild formed late March 2016 and fully cleared 13/13 Mythic Hellfire Citadel pre nerf shortly after. We've since been improving our world ranking every tier.
      We currently raid 3 days per week on Mythic: Wednesday, Sunday and Tuesday 19:15-22:15 server time. While it is not a lot we try to make the most out of our time. We run optional heroic/normal/alt/previous tier raids during off days in which raiders are welcome to come to. Our members also play other games outside raid times together where anyone is welcome to join(LoL, Dota, HotS, Overwatch etc.).
      Our loot system for Mythic is RC Loot Council.
      What we expect from you:
      - We are a raiding guild with only a 9 hour per week schedule so you are expected to attend and be ON TIME! However we understand things can come up sometimes but please let us know.
      - Be able to speak and understand the English language and not be afraid to communicate with other members during raids.
      - Actively doing dungeons/world quests to improve your gear and artifact weapon.
      - Have a strong understanding of the current raid tier and be able to play your class to it's potential.
      - Always come to raids prepared(i.e. bringing food and potions, etc).
      - Come fully gemmed and enchanted with the correct stats for your class and spec.
      - Access to Discord and a working microphone.
      - Have a computer that can handle 20 man raiding and a good, stable internet connection.
      - Exorsus Raid Tools, Weakauras2 and RC Loot Council addons installed. We may ask you to install others.

If you have any further questions please contact us at battletags: Vims#21684 Azkey#21565
      To apply please visit our guild website: http://asylum-tn.enjin.com/recruitment
      __________________________________________________________________________
      Requirements to be considered into current main raids:
      - 920~ ilvl
      - 52+ traits.
      - 3/9 in ToS.
      - Exceptions to the requirements may be made..
      _____________________________________________________________________________
      We're currently looking for the classes below but may consider other classes as well.
      Death Knight: Blood.
      Druid: Guardian and Balance.
      Hunter: MM/BM.
      Monk: Brewmaster.
      Rogue: Open.
      Warlock: Open.
      Any and all applications will be considered.
    • By Maplefire
      Looking for a fun progression guild? Hordeland Security could be your new home! We started at launch, and have raided on Blackhand, Baelgun, and now Turalyon. 

We currently raid on Tuesdays and Thursdays 19:00- 21:15 CDT. We understand that no one has an unlimited amount of time to play. Our raiders know when to goof around and when to be serious.
      Interested? Drop us a line!
      Deputy Raid Leader: Duerdon#1111
      Director: Saffy#1122
      -or-
      lil ol' me - Maplefire#1200 - (mention you're from the Icy Veins thread so my brain won't explode)
      http://www.hordelandsecurity.org
      (forgive the Pandaran background - web designer is on a looooong break)
      Thanks for your consideration - happy raiding!
    • By Nobbykinz
      Autumn Mist is a raiding & social guild looking for players like you.
      http://www.autumn-mist.net

We are mostly searching to increase our DPS raid team so we can advance further through Heroic Tos and onto Mythic.
      We are a very active guild with events on most days:
      We are a very active guild with events on most days for example:

Wed: Day of Reset
      Thurs: TOS Heroic
      Fri: Mythic + night
      Sat: TOS N
      Sun: Gear up sunday + TOS Heroic
      Mon: NH HC
      Tues: Transmog Tuesday

All starting at 8pm Server time other then the whole day events and posted in the calender.
      Feel free to apply via the website, or add me on bnet if you want a chat, Nobbykinz#2994 all questions welcome.
    • By Wierra
      Hi, so I'd like to think that have got the fury rotation down, I've been using the Icy veins guide and some pointers from MMO-Champion. I don't think I have any big issues apart from the BC with CoF trinket, like if it's worth waiting for other cooldowns like OF to be up with BC, that's my main question. 
      So I have linked my logs for some PuG raiding the other week, so if someone is up for the task of analyzing them for me, that'd be great. Sorry if my sentences are wrong or weird, I'm really hungover... 

Armory: https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-gb/character/silvermoon/wierra
      Log Normal ToS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/WzPkRG2HXnrv8qwb#source=13&fight=1&view=analytical&type=damage-done
      ( In Goroth Normal, you will see some downtime in the middle of the fight. I got disconnected that is the answer:/ )
      Log Heroic ToS: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/1R3Gya6VCTJFYtfm#source=11&type=damage-done

Thanks, this is my first post here so if I'm missing anything please comment! :)