FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Kodie

Maining shadow priest in WoD

Hey there 

I will just make this a quick message.

I figured that i want to main shadow priest in WoD. Do you know if they will get any dps boost, i heard they will get 5 orbs as well loosing alot of self healing while in shadowform.

Just tell me anything you know about them in wod so far, if they are gonna get good or whatever!

-Kodie

No matter what blizzard does as far as abilities, or the changes you see in notes on mmoc, none of that affects the end game dps on live servers. Blizz will always be able to tweak numbers even when things go live.

If you pick a class that you like, and that you want to play, it will be better in the end because you'll be happy playing it.

• Like 1

No matter what blizzard does as far as abilities, or the changes you see in notes on mmoc, none of that affects the end game dps on live servers. Blizz will always be able to tweak numbers even when things go live.

If you pick a class that you like, and that you want to play, it will be better in the end because you'll be happy playing it.

Do you have any suggestions on how to "master" shadow priest? I really want to get good at it..

Currently shadow is about maximizing dot uptime, making sure you don't clip dots when refreshing them, and spamming mind flay when dots are all in place, or when devouring plague is up with 3 shadow orbs. getting a good snapshot on dots will help, but isn't as important as it is for a warlock because shadow dots don't last very long anyways, the most important part is refreshing dots just before any big procs are about to drop. There used to be an addon that made shadow priests like a game of guitar hero, where bars would come at you timed perfectly for when to cast VT for a perfect no clip refresh, and when to channel mind flay for 2 ticks before jumping to a SW:Pain. I can't remember the name of it, but it may still exist. regardless, since I'm going to be playing SP in WoD I'll be making/finding weak auras for refreshing dots. I'll share them when I have them.

This play style will continue with 6.0 until level 100, with the exception of the snapshotting going away. At level 100 though currently the best shadow priest spec in beta for single target uses Clarity of Power which effectively turns you into a dotless shadow priest. The rotation becomes Mind Blast > Spam Mind Spike 3-4 times > Mind Blast > Spam Mind Spike 3-4 times  > Mind Blast > Devouring Plague > Insanity (buffed mind flay) until DP is done > Repeat. With this build stat priority is Mastery > Multistrike > Crit = Haste. with a really heavy emphasis on mastery. it's a super simple, almost mind numbingly easy rotation. Dots are only used for multi-dotting, and even that is a dps loss with high enough mastery.

The coolest thing about Shadow in WoD though is that we essentially have 3 specs all built into shadow, all depending on which Tier 100 talent you take. CoP makes us one of the top single target dps, and has a super simple rotation. Void Entropy shifts our rotation to the same that it is currently, and is strong in multi-dotting fights, especially if you can get VE up twice and keep refreshing it (which requires shadowy insight on tier 75, and some good MB procs, but it's possible). 

and then there's Auspicious Spirits which is super bursty and heavily crit oriented. It's a good amount behind in dps right now, but it has potential with higher crit on a multi-dot fight. 3-4 SW:Pain targets and enough crit and you could probably keep 100% uptime rolling on Devouring Plague on your main target.

• Like 4

A few points of clarification:

Mastery is pretty lousy, even with Clarity of Power (CoP) selected. You can multidot with CoP, which means any time outside of a 1-target situation (which is every encounter in T17, thanks to multiple boss targets or adds) the amount of spells being cast that are affected by Mastery drops significantly. There will likely be some encounters where the on-demand burst of CoP single target is needed, so it will be wise to have some Mastery pieces available to swap in. Other than that (unless there's a major change between now and WoD release, which I don't expect), stay away from Mastery pieces. It is worse than Versatility in nearly every spec combination and fight scenario.

CoP is also facing some balancing issues where, specifically in multi-target encounters if you choose to use CoP, it is turning out to be better to just do a normal, MoP-style rotation with DoTs and just take advantage of the -3sec CD on Mind Blast and it becoming instant cast. There's still a lot of time left until WoD, so this might get patched out... We'll see.

You can keep Void Entropy (VEnt) up on two targets without SI/SWD sniping/GoMH, you just need to generate 6 orbs per minute, which is possible with even low haste. Three targets with VEnt is possible with SI/SWD sniping/GoMH, you just need 9 orbs per minute to maintain.