FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
Stan

Old God Involvement in Dragonflight?

46153-ilgynoths-whispers-in-patch-83.jpg

During the Chromie Time quest in Thaldraszus where we travel back to the Black Empire, a set of very interesting whispers has set up in motion new speculations about the Old Gods' involvement in Dragonflight.

While in the Black Empire, the player receives whispers from four entities, which I believe are Yogg, N'Zoth, C'Thuun, and Y'Shaarj.

image.png

Piercing Presence

Piercing Presence whispers: No one is coming to save you.

Piercing Presence whispers: Your allies will leave you behind.

Piercing Presence whispers: You have already lost.

Observing Presence

Observing Presence: You will die.

Observing Presence whispers: Your courage will fail.

Maddening Presence

Maddening Presence whispers: All that you know will fade.

Maddening Presence whispers: Hope is an illusion.

Knowing Presence

This one's particularly interesting because we know we're going underground in Patch 10.1 and it opens a lot room for speculations. Who's "he"? Nozdormu? After all, the plot of Dragonflight is his inevitable fate and transformation into Murozond...

Knowing Presence whispers: I... know you. What you were. What you will yet be.

Knowing Presence whispers: You will follow him to the deep places. The dark waters will flow in his wake. 

Knowing Presence whispers: With many eyes, they will see again. They will drink, and be uplifted.

Knowing Presence whispers: Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Our dreams. Our song.

A tome found in Uldaman (Edicts of the Prime Designate, Volume 742 Edicts of the Prime Designate, Volume 742) written by Odyn refers to the Black Empire. Odyn wants "all historical records documenting the advancements of the Black Empire purged". Furthermore, the age should be pained before us (mortals) as "one of chaos and misery, a pernicious blight that the keepers eradicated".

Image courtesy of GamingApokolips.

p774km9vnv1a1.jpg

Do you see where this is heading? We might be up for an Old God surprise in Dragonflight!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, TyZone said:

I would be okay with this, I think. We still don't know The Big Bad tm of this expansion yet, do we?

Remaining Incarnates, I assume. Unless they all die in the next patch and there is one more raid, then we might get something else.

2 hours ago, Arcling said:

Remaining Incarnates, I assume. Unless they all die in the next patch and there is one more raid, then we might get something else.

Please die (not you, Arcling 😂).

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arcling said:

According to the article in the launcher from Holly Longdale, there will be two more raids, one in patch 10.1 and the other in 10.2.

I would be surprised if they only gave us 3 raids. There hasn't been a time were fewer raids were better for an expansion.

I highly doubt the Old Gods will be of any significant focus in this expansion besides the Chromie questline. The old gods could use a break tbh, plus it would make sense for them to go on vacation with being 'dead' and all. I don't see them sticking Xal'atath in the middle of what is already occurring either.

55 minutes ago, Cham79 said:

I would be surprised if they only gave us 3 raids. There hasn't been a time were fewer raids were better for an expansion.

I highly doubt the Old Gods will be of any significant focus in this expansion besides the Chromie questline. The old gods could use a break tbh, plus it would make sense for them to go on vacation with being 'dead' and all. I don't see them sticking Xal'atath in the middle of what is already occurring either.

(cough) Bfa (cough) Azshara (cough)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Stan said:

Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Our dreams. Our song.

Oh lord here we go again with Ysera. They tried corrupting her before in Legion.

This is interesting! I wonder if the references to 'Her' are related to Elune?

Saezurah in Zereth Mortis had some similar dialogue, which implies the 'Her' in question might be a cosmic deity? 

Knowing Presence whispers: "Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Our dreams. Our song."

Saezurah says: "Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Quiet now, but her voice will awaken the others."

Perhaps we'll visit, or at least see references to these other Zereths. If Zereth Mortis is related to death, and Zereth Ordus is a plane of order/arcane - there are surely more, according to Saezurah.

This quote makes much more sense now than it did in Shadowlands.

Saezurah says: "Mortis. Lumen. Ordus. Rhythm and structure."

and

Saezurah says: "Vitae. Umbra. Tumult. Improvisation and possibility."

1 hour ago, Cham79 said:

I'm convinced you farm the confused reaction at this point tbh

Who are you, again?
Not to mention you needed to sleep through BfA hard to miss the "'Oooh, we're gonna do a faction conflict expansion' (2 patches later) 'Nah, Old Gods all the way as main villians, screw the faction conflict'" part, so your 'confusion' amoutns to nothing, lol.

Edited by Teufel
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Madyrn said:

According to the article in the launcher from Holly Longdale, there will be two more raids, one in patch 10.1 and the other in 10.2.

Yep, which leaves the question whether they will kill all remaining Incarnates in the next raid or they will split them between two raids. Well, there is also a chance some of them could die during quests or dungeon. There is a chance they could start introducing some Void stuff in this expansion, but probably nothing major if next expansion will be centered about them. One particular setting that would fit is K'aresh, homeworld of Ethereals which was mostly destroyed by the Void and its remains should resemble Outland. Frankly, I don't like Primalists and Incarnates because they aren't that interesting, they are making this story feel like a rehash of Cataclysm+MoP (they are essentially Twilight's Hammer, but without Old Gods' corruption). But then again, Void Lords don't seem that interesting either. 😛

Edited by Arcling

13 hours ago, Teufel said:

Who are you, again?
Not to mention you needed to sleep through BfA hard to miss the "'Oooh, we're gonna do a faction conflict expansion' (2 patches later) 'Nah, Old Gods all the way as main villians, screw the faction conflict'" part, so your 'confusion' amoutns to nothing, lol.

Oh ye because Warbringers Azshara didn't exist before the expansion released 😉 Nice gaslighting 🙂 .

On 12/29/2022 at 6:32 AM, Isilman said:

This is interesting! I wonder if the references to 'Her' are related to Elune?

Saezurah in Zereth Mortis had some similar dialogue, which implies the 'Her' in question might be a cosmic deity? 

Knowing Presence whispers: "Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Our dreams. Our song."

Saezurah says: "Her dreams sing beneath the surface. Quiet now, but her voice will awaken the others."

Perhaps we'll visit, or at least see references to these other Zereths. If Zereth Mortis is related to death, and Zereth Ordus is a plane of order/arcane - there are surely more, according to Saezurah.

This quote makes much more sense now than it did in Shadowlands.

Saezurah says: "Mortis. Lumen. Ordus. Rhythm and structure."

and

Saezurah says: "Vitae. Umbra. Tumult. Improvisation and possibility."

It makes me wonder if the Titans only became so when the World Soul they started out as is taken to Zereth Ordus by one of them or the as yet enigmatic First Ones, and given its purpose there, which would make more sense as to why the Void Lords were looking to get a hold of one while still in its nascent state.

It also raises the question, where did the Burning Legion take Argus to in order to embody it with its purpose?

On 12/28/2022 at 4:07 PM, TyZone said:

I would be okay with this, I think. We still don't know The Big Bad tm of this expansion yet, do we?

I still say "The Big Bad" should be war itself. Even if Horde and Alliance stop fighting, that war and those who will try and take power will keep popping up. It would be more interesting is what Zovaal was tying to stop was an intercosmic war for Azeroth's soul that threatens to end all of existence. If you follow the motivation of most of the villains in Warcraft, they have been trying to force people to unite under them to prevent some kind of war. 

On 12/29/2022 at 3:00 AM, Cham79 said:

Post-Wrath, most of the expansions focused on 3 Raid Tiers, the only one that didn't was Warlords of Draenor.

I think we already know how this story is going to progress. With Raszageth dead and the Iridirkron being back...I believe we will see each Primal as something new in a new zone...1 probably being a World Boss another either being the end boss to the Mega Dungeon...and then Iridirkron being the end of Season 2...with either a defeat or death to usher in Season 3 which could probably set the stage for...a new timewalking event to the events of Galakrond and before they received their powers...an END TIME type scenario where we fight Galakrond alongside the Dragon Aspects and then end it with Nozdormu finally transforming to Murozond to maybe bring in the next expansion or set of Seasons focusing on the Infinite Dragonflight and the coming of the Void.