FORUMS
Sign in to follow this  
AstanoVidatu

"Immortal" build

I have heard a lot of people talking about these with Blood Dk's, and then I watch people go and solo the celestials on the timeless isle and all the guards at the same time or solo tank nearly any boss in SoO but  when you inspect them, it looks like their stats are all over the place. 

One tank will be geared for nothing but mastery,  one for avoidance and mastery,  so I get that mastery is an important part of that for their blood shield,

but  is it more survivable to go : hit/Exp > Mastery > Stam > Str > Parry=Dodge  

or to go : Str > Parry=Dodge > Stam > Mastery > Exp/Hit for an "avoidance" build?

or : Mastery > Stam > Str > Parry=Dodge > Exp to just soak up everything and forget about if you get hit or not?

What's your take, Mastery or just avoid?

Mastery is pretty much king for pure survivability but avoidance provides a non-negligible boost in DPS without sacrificing too much survivability. What's best comes down to your raiding environment. Tanking the celestials and guards together without a healer really isn't very impressive above a certain gear threshold.

It all depends on the situation. For soloing content it's pretty much all about your overall ilvl more than how you're reforging. the healing portion of deathstrike is the same no matter how you gear, with the only exception being the minimum heal size being effected by stam. but if you're getting buy with minimum heals then you're miles ahead of what's needed for soloing.

a lot of people like to generalize that Mastery takes the least damage, and avoidance takes slightly more damage but gives you slightly more dps, but it's actually more complex than that.

The "least damage" you can take on a given fight is dependent on mastery, but it's dependent on having the right amount of mastery for the fight, and not too much or too little. for example, I can tank 10H sha of pride without ever really dropping blood shield even when I'm running with only 125%ish mastery, and 45% parry.  At that point if my blood shield is capped for 90% of the fight, any more mastery would be completely wasted, so at that point the extra avoidance is decreasing my damage taken more than extra mastery would, and also giving me more riposte crit, so it's win/win. I've litterally had logs where my "healer burden" the amount other people needed to heal me, was around 1 million damage for the entire fight, and honestly those were just times when someone else beat me to healing me.

On the flipside I've tried solo tanking Thokk in a full avoidance set and that didn't go so well. When you start hitting spikes of 300-500k dtps mastery continues to scale up with damage and get better, and it's at this point where mastery is way better than avoidance in both damage taken, and the smoothness of incoming damage. when you have 4-5 stacks of panic on thokk and he's hitting you for 3/4 of your health every hit, you pretty much have to mitigate every 2nd attack or you're dead. with mastery you're in control, and you can do that. with avoidance you can't control it.

However when it comes to solo'ing if you're taking 300k dtps you're not going to keep yourself alive for more than 30 seconds anyways, so most likely your best bet is to take somewhere around 150-200% mastery and then go for avoidance after that.

Thank you, 

Essentially I am not going to use my blood spec for 10-25 man raiding since I am kinda burnt out on that. But I am looking to use it for something like say.. rounding up 10-`5  of my 20 daily elites on the timeless isle in one go, or to do a celestial with only a dps or two in tow if I don't feel like bothering with healers or OQ or something.  Or if I do xrealm que and come out flagged I want to be able to survive the guards if I actually bother to defend myself against an alliance player that thinks it would be fun to jump me while I am in a fight. 

so from the sounds of it, go for a certain point in mastery and then go the avoidance route after that.  Thanks you two :D

Does anyone have stat weights to give a high mastery build but still actually have more than 3dps?

I was looking at: http://www.askmrrobot.com/wow/gear/deathknightblood2h

and that seems really un realistic, it's 266% mastery  but then all the gems are dodge, mastery, a couple parry and then more mastery. 

Or is that what I should be looking for?  I basically want the build so that I can finish my 20 elites on the Timeless isle in 1 pull, and to be able to solo a celestial if nobody is around and I just really want it right then. Or to surive being jumped by the guards when I get in combat with an enemy player. 

solo'ing elites fast is mostly a matter of ilvl. I pull 5 gulp frogs at a time in frost and kill them all in less than 10 seconds. There isn't anywhere on the isle with enough density to kill elites faster in blood than you could by just going frost instead, unless you're trying to solo stuff in the Ordos area, then you'd likely survive a lot better as blood.

for solo'ing celestials the first thing to worry about is just staying alive. You'll do more dps if you can stay alive with a high avoidance build, or you may find you need more mastery to solo it. Either way you can definitely plan on solo'ing a celestial taking at least 10-15 minutes. you'd be way better off queuing for it.

266% mastery is a lot for just doing open world content though. that's so much that it would be a waste for half the raid bosses in H-SoO.

• Like 2